Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 17.12.2005, 03:35 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Bootup glitch in hardware

Hi guys,

I've not had a reply from Access on this as yet so am hoping you might be able to help.

I switch on the power to the Ti desktop and hold down the transpose button to boot up. The backlight on the LCD screen lights up but nothing happens - the Virus logo and OS details don't appear as they normally should and it hangs. I switch the power at the plug off and on again and hold down transpose and it usually loads OK at that point.

Any ideas what the problem could be? It happens about 8 out of 10 times I start the Virus and it usually takes a few attempts at switching it off and on again to get it working.

It happened on the OS it shipped with (1.00 beta) so I upgraded to 1.07 thinking it would fix the problem but it hasn't. Can anyone help?

Cheers,

D
Old 17.12.2005, 07:01 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default Me 2 Smag

I'm in the same boat bud

Access have said "it may be fixed with a S/W update"?

This is my second TI Kb and if this fails I'm getting rid of it.

Hope this makes you feel better knowing you're not the only one, apparently there is a few more out there that people are willing to put up with.

To me it doesn't matter how good it sounds but the playability.
I paid ?1499 for a piece of shit as far as I'm concerned

SteamyB
Old 17.12.2005, 07:08 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: Bootup glitch in hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smag
It happens about 8 out of 10 times I start the Virus and it usually takes a few attempts at switching it off and on again to get it working.
Try unplugging the usb cable before you power on.
Old 17.12.2005, 07:56 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Default Ben

Thank you for replying Mr. B..... but I use Ti kb as sound source powered by hardware sequencer i.e no PC connected, no USB and I continue to have boot problem with only ana audio out connected.

Old 17.12.2005, 08:10 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamyb
Thank you for replying Mr. B..... but I use Ti kb as sound source powered by hardware sequencer i.e no PC connected, no USB and I continue to have boot problem with only ana audio out connected.

Do you have midi cables connected? If so, then please try booting with these removed.
Old 17.12.2005, 09:49 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Default No Midi cables connected

Hi Ben

Even with nothing but power lead Ti refuses to boot until second or third attempt.

I know it can be rectified by unplugging and re-inserting power cord.... but I bought it to press keys and turn knobs not push and pull leads and hope for the best.
This surely can not be healthy for the TI.

Let's hope it can be rectified.

Cheers

SteamyB
Old 18.12.2005, 12:57 PM

How about fitting an in-line mains switch into your power lead? At least that will save you having to pull the plug so many times. I've done that on quite a few bits of my equipment, especially now that mains switches are becoming a "luxury" item.

Mr O
Old 18.12.2005, 07:12 PM
Pro
Pro

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I've just had a response back from Access on this and it goes:

- switch off the TI and remove the power cable
- remove the USB and any Midi cables from the TI
- hold down the ARP EDIT button for a few seconds and put the power
cable back in while doing this
- then put back the USB and Midi cables whenever the TI is already up
and running

It must be pointed out that the USB cable is not connected at any point during my setup (I've just used it once when I upgraded the OS). In respect to the above steps, I thought the transpose button switched on my TI. I'll see how it goes because it makes some beautiful sounds but if it gets in the way of my work, it's off straight back to Soundcontrol and a V-synth will be on the cards instead.

D
Old 19.12.2005, 11:53 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

As most people on this forum know....I use old synths from the 80's. Just like to state the bleeding obvious: Pulling cables in and out all the time is not a particualrly great thing to do....especially when the connections are circuit mounted (not case/chassis mounted). Try and use another way of booting up the TI and save those connections from hell.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 19.12.2005, 07:31 PM
Pro
Pro

Right, here's the crack. I boot the Virus up, the backlight lights up but no text appears, I then pull the power cord out, plug it back in, and this time the backlight comes on and it boots up OK.

It's not a catastrophic failure and it plays well, sounds fantastic. But if I have to keep pulling cables out every time I boot up, it's still not working according to spec and I'm not sure the connections were built to take constant use like this.

I really hope there's some resolution to this as although not the end of the world it undermines confidence a bit and obviously isn't working as it should - and for 1200 balloons.

What do you think?