Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 05.12.2004, 06:56 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default I'm having trouble setting up a multi-mode patch...

Hello all,

I have been trying to setup a multi mode patch for a couple of weeks now and am getting a bit frustrated.

I am using a Virus KC.

The manual only covers multi-mode with a few brief paragraphs on page 42. On page 110 Multi-Mode parameters are discussed but again, briefly. There are no step by step instructions.

I wish to setup a simple multi mode by having the Virus play two or three patches at once via the multi.

The patches I wish to use are D87 Prions, A123 Vindicator, and then play around with various third tones.

I have been doig the following:

1. Press Multi
2. Navigate to a blank Multi that says "Overture" (M11)
3. Press Multi and Single together to enter Multi-Single Mode
4. Assign D87 (Prions) to m1
5. Press the PART button to get to m2.
6. Assign A123 (Vindicator) to m2.

PROBLEMS:

A. Prions sounds nothing like it does in Single Mode. it is choppy and very reduced. I tried tweaking the knobs and it only sounded worse (If in Single Mode D87 Prions sounds cool with no manipulation of soft knobs or filters, when I go to it in Multi Mode it sounds like crap!).

B. When I assign A123 to m2 it sounds fine; but I can't hear the two tones play together. Do I have to STORE the Multi Patch before they will play together?

C. The tempo of the patches in Multi Mode is slower than how each patch sounds in Single Mode.

What do I have to do to get these two patches to play simultaneously and for each patch to sound as it does in Single Mode?

Is there a good textbook that covers Access Virus programming in great detail as opposed to the reductionist verse of the manual?

Thanks for any info on this one.

Regards,

-AlexHall74
Old 06.12.2004, 08:06 AM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

You must set the parts to use the same midi-channel if you want to layer the sounds. If not you will only hear the part (or midi-channel) you selected.

About the sound sounding bad; Have you checked that it has the same reverb/delay-settings in single- and multi-mode? In multi-mode you only have one choice of reverb/delay-setting and one send pr. part. You may find that one sound uses reverb in single mode but then uses delay instead because the multi uses delay. You can use the funtion "copy reverb/delay from single" witch will (as it says) copy the reberb/delay-parameters from the single. Of course you may then find that the other sound dosn?t sound as intended instead In the new TI?s this won?t be a problem since it has seperate reverb/delay-settings pr. part...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 06.12.2004, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Default OK, now for part 2 of this post!

Thanks for the reply Onkel Dunkel,

Your response clarifies a few things but raises other questions:

Quote:
You must set the parts to use the same midi-channel if you want to layer the sounds. If not you will only hear the part (or midi-channel) you selected.
OK, Here is my biggest problem; I cannot figure out how to properly setup a Multi-Mode, period. The manual is way too brief in my opinion. I am able to toggle between different MIDI channels with the PART buttons, and able to assign different patches to each channel, but:

HOW DO I LAYER MULTIPLE PATCHES TO ONE MIDI CHANNEL? Did I totally miss this in the manual?

Quote:
About the sound sounding bad; Have you checked that it has the same reverb/delay-settings in single- and multi-mode?
No, I have not, and thinking about it tells me you are right. The Prions patch by default has a lot of delay in Single Mode, but in Multi it has none. I assigned the Pad sound (A123) to channel one and then Prions (D87) to channel 2. Channel 1 sounded just like in Single mode. Channel 2 sounded like crap. I believe you are correct; I will look into this once at home.

OTHER QUESTIONS:

(1) How do I save a Multi once I have set it up? Do I just hit the STORE button? Somehow this did not work last night...

(2) This might seem like a dumb question, but, what is the point of creating a Multi where each sound is on a different channel if only one can be heard at a time? This seems to limit the whole concept of multi-timbrality...

(3) Does the virus KC save over patches in banks A and B as other Viruses do (I have read this in other posts)?

AND FINALLY...

(4) Is there a book other than the user manual that gives some step by step instructions and more detail than the manual?

I looked on Amazon.com but did not find one. I really think the manual sucks. Maybe because I am new to synths and don't have the background concepts down like a veteran synth player but I do understand the basics of filters, LFOs, soundwaves, oscillators, FM, etc. It just seems like there is a huge lack of material dedicated to explaining how to make the Virus do what it was designed to do.

Thanks again for your insight! Some of this is making sense to me now.

-AlexHall74
Old 06.12.2004, 06:24 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Default Re: OK, now for part 2 of this post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74
OK, Here is my biggest problem; I cannot figure out how to properly setup a Multi-Mode, period. The manual is way too brief in my opinion. I am able to toggle between different MIDI channels with the PART buttons, and able to assign different patches to each channel, but:

HOW DO I LAYER MULTIPLE PATCHES TO ONE MIDI CHANNEL? Did I totally miss this in the manual?
> Select multi-mode
> Press "system/multi edit"
> Press "parameter" until the display says "midichannel" and a number
> Select the part (by pressing"part") you want to assign a midi-channel for
> Select the midi-channel you want to use for this part

Quote:
(1) How do I save a Multi once I have set it up? Do I just hit the STORE button? Somehow this did not work last night...
When multi-mode selected; press "store"

Quote:
(2) This might seem like a dumb question, but, what is the point of creating a Multi where each sound is on a different channel if only one can be heard at a time? This seems to limit the whole concept of multi-timbrality...
No no, not at all. I use it when using a sequenser. Then i can play up to 16 different sounds simultaniusly on 16 different channels.

Quote:
(3) Does the virus KC save over patches in banks A and B as other Viruses do (I have read this in other posts)?
Yes, you can owerwrite patches in bank A and B. Bank C-H can be owerwritten too but only a whole bank at the time.

Quote:
(4) Is there a book other than the user manual that gives some step by step instructions and more detail than the manual?
Don?t know. I found great use of the user-manual. It can be a little cryptic sometimes but in big terms it explains the funtions of the virus. Theres also the sound programming tutorial that came with the Virus (programming analouge synth - virus tutorial by howard scarr) witch can be helpfull. I belive all the questions you ask here is answared in the user-manual. If you don?t find the answer in the manuals it?s no shame to ask

Old 06.12.2004, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Default YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Thank you very much for the detailed responses Onkel Dunkel!

I have printed this thread and will take it home tonight to execute it.

I will also try to read through the corresponding sections in the user manual and compare it to your responses.

Maybe my problem is interpreting the text in the manual; maybe I'm just dense! 8O

At any rate I really appreciate your time and input!

I'll re-post in this thread and let you know how all this worked out in a day or two.

Regards,

-AlexHall74
Old 06.12.2004, 07:11 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Glad i could help

Old 15.12.2004, 11:54 PM
Administrator

I still can't get Multi-mode to work.

I read the manual an it said Sounddiver has a help function.
Does anyone know if the help function in Souinddiver is any good?

Does the Access site have a help feature?

I'll keep trying in the mean time.

Ciao!

-AlexHall74
Old 16.12.2004, 10:00 AM

Multi should be very easy to work with.....

If you have your MIDI life sorted....

Set up 16 different MIDI channels in your sequencer, numbered sequentially from MIDI channel 1-16 (if you want 16 different sounds seperately)

Now, for each part on the virus (of which there are 16 per multi) choose a different sound

Go back to your sequencer, hit "Record enable/ready" on one of the 16 MIDI channels, and record something.

Now enable a different MIDI channel, and hit "Rec.Enable/ready" and record a new sound

If you want layering of different patches, just choose the patches, and in Multi-single mode choose the same MIDI output for those patches you want layered...

There are also a few settings for your Virus for best use with a sequencer. All info is in the manual...

Good luck!!!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 16.12.2004, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Hey Jasedee,

My problem is that I cannot get more than one sound to play at the same time on the same channel.

I followed Onkel Dunkel's instructions below last night:

Quote:
Onkel Dunkel wrote:
> Select multi-mode
> Press "system/multi edit"
> Press "parameter" until the display says "midichannel" and a number

Alex:
[THE DISPLAY LOOKS LIKE THIS NOW:]
1 MIDI
GlobalChan 1<

> Select the part (by pressing"part") you want to assign a midi-channel for

Alex:
[EVERY TIME I PRESS PART THE MIDI CHANNEL INCREASES BY +1]

> Select the midi-channel you want to use for this part
OK, here is where I am stuck.
If I press the PART keys the MIDI channels go up or down
If I press the VALUE keys the GlobalChan goes up or down.

How in the hell do I select the patch I wish to assign to any of these channels?

I don't want to assign a different patch to 16 different channels.
I want to make two or three sounds play at the same time with the pressing of on key; so I only need one MIDI channel, right?

DO I have to get into Multi-Single Mode to do this?

Right now I am in Multi Mode, it seems this is the mode to use with a sequencer if I am assigning different sounds to differnet channels.

Does this make any sense?

Sorry for being a blockhead!

I'm sure once I understand this I will fell liek a complete dipshit for taking so long to figure it out.

Time to mess with the manual some more...

PISS!!!

-ALexHall74
Old 17.12.2004, 03:47 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74
[THE DISPLAY LOOKS LIKE THIS NOW:]
1 MIDI
GlobalChan 1<
Here?s the problem. The display should say: Midichannel 1< and NOT: GlobalChan 1<