Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 16.02.2009, 02:58 PM
New here
New here

Default Virus TI Snow and Ableton: how to get seperate audio tracks?

Hi guys.

I am using the Virus TI Snow, Ableton Live 7, and v.2.7.3 of the Virus Control software. The hardware unit is up-to-date (clean install of software on pc).

I have read the manual and watched the tutorial videos and I have a few Qs about using the Virus TI Snow in Live.

My understanding is that you can have up to four different sounds playing at once by having the 4 parts of the Snow routed to 4 different MIDI channels in Live. I've done this and I currently can get four different sounds playing at once. However:

1) How can I get EACH sound to play on its own channel such that I can see the volume of each part, apply individual effects to each part, etc.? Right now I am able to see only the total volume of all four parts together and apply effects only universally.

2) I cannot seem to perform an undo action on the Snow. The manual says to right click and choose undo but no matter where I right click in the Virus Control that option isn't available. Is there a sequence of buttons on the Virus itself that I can push to undo the last option?

Here is how the Virus is currently configured in the Preferences area of Live (I'm using an Echo Audiofire4 soundcard and the Virus is connected to the pc via USB):

Thanks so much for any help! This is my first time using a hardware synth.
Old 16.02.2009, 07:47 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

If all my routing attempts are correct, I doubt you can do that on Ableton Live. Hmmm, I'll give it another try, cause Logic lets you apply effects on every channel. So, there must be a way...
________
cloudy trichomes

Last edited by Splat! : 29.01.2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 16.02.2009, 09:47 PM
New here
New here

Problem solved!

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=846329#846329
Old 17.02.2009, 12:22 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default thankyou

arrh that solves a long standing question for me too.
Am I right in saying that you cannot do this for all the 16 Virus Control channels, but are limited to the 3 USB channels.
Old 17.02.2009, 01:19 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
arrh that solves a long standing question for me too.
Am I right in saying that you cannot do this for all the 16 Virus Control channels, but are limited to the 3 USB channels.
For stereo, yes, I assume 3 is the maximum. However, the various L and R channels available in Virus Control can be used as additional, albeit mono, channels.
Old 17.02.2009, 06:38 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

thanks for that
Old 17.02.2009, 06:56 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick cenik View Post
For stereo, yes, I assume 3 is the maximum. However, the various L and R channels available in Virus Control can be used as additional, albeit mono, channels.
I only tried it briefly but I had trouble getting the L and R channels (as distinct mono channels) into Live - I could only seem to get them into a track as stereo pairs. You might be able to mess about with the Utility plug in to separate the L and R channels, but I'd have to play about with that to even be sure that the sounds aren't being mixed into stereo.
Old 17.02.2009, 08:57 AM
Am starting to like this forum

Thanks for the info; I'd briefly looked at the tutorial, but overlooked this. I'll have a play with it tonight. Presumably this means that so long as the Snow can play all 4 parts at once (without stealing voices/stuttering), you can also render to wav for all 4 tracks at the same time when rendering a song (rather than doing 4 passes, one for each channel)?
Old 17.02.2009, 05:36 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelly View Post
You might be able to mess about with the Utility plug in to separate the L and R channels,
Yep, this is exactly how the tutorial video for Live shows one how to get the mono channels to work.
Old 17.02.2009, 07:50 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick cenik View Post
Yep, this is exactly how the tutorial video for Live shows one how to get the mono channels to work.
I managed to do this tonight. I directed part 3 to USB3 L and part 4 to USB3 R. I created two tracks in Live and directed USB3 to them both - I could hear one part in the left channel and one part in the right channel. On one track I used the "Left" preset for the Utility plugin and on the other track I used the "Right" preset. This gave me the two tracks nicely separated. It's ugly, but it works!