Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 19.03.2009, 05:32 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default CLICKING sounds?

If noticed from the beginning that when attack is 0 I can hear clicking sounds...
This only can be because because the wave is not started at o amplitude, am I correct? I have to push attack to hard to make it stop... This is a great problem? I think...
Old 19.03.2009, 06:01 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

every synth i own does this.
Old 19.03.2009, 06:38 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yornav View Post
If noticed from the beginning that when attack is 0 I can hear clicking sounds...
This only can be because because the wave is not started at o amplitude, am I correct? I have to push attack to hard to make it stop... This is a great problem? I think...
Edit (button) > Punch > Intensity = 0.
(The "Punch" parameter adds a percussive click every time you press a key. The default is usually a value of '64', but setting the value to '0' disables the effect.).

Oscillator edit > PhaseInit = 1.
(While a "PhaseInit" value of 'Off' places the oscillators in free-running mode, a PhaseInit value of '1' however forces the oscillators to reset to the very start of their waveforms (at 0º - zero degrees) on every key press. A PhaseInit value of '64' would start halfway through the waveforms (180º), etc.).

However, the PhaseInit feature resets ALL oscillators to the same phase on key-press. Thus by its very nature the patches can sound unnaturally 'phasey' depending on their usage, particularly if you have subtley detuned oscillators - gives you a 'peoww, peoww' type effect on every key press where the oscillators start on sync' and then detune themselves away from each other, which you may not want, in which case turning PhaseInit Off and just increasing the length of the Amplifier Attack slightly is enough to get rid of any percussive clicks without harming the patch's fast attack nor affecting the character of the rest of the patch.

Last edited by Timo : 19.03.2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 21.03.2009, 12:19 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
every synth i own does this.
Yes thats true. But what Timo wrote is the only solution around it especially when you use melow sounds... I forgot to put puch to 0 ang was looking and looking... shame on me... But Tnx Timo.
Old 21.03.2009, 12:59 AM
aTISHooo!
I am starting to like this forum

Yes, but it is very useful for percussive sounds. Just to add to what Timo said;
When I want a sound with a fast attack but no percussive click, the punch parameter is invaluable.
Not many synths have that level of control, and it's the reason most of my bass sounds have been made with the Virus since 1997.
You can create anything from Hi-Hat clicks through Timpani to sloppy 808 bass drum.