Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 24.02.2009, 04:11 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Default mbv - orange squash mix bass

Does anyone have any idea how i might go about synthesizing (i dont own a guitar) something along the lines of that huge sucking vacume cleanery bass sound in my bloody valentines remix of sweetness and light? I have no idea where to start making a sound like that...i have tried to no avail using many diff synths. How do you think they are doing it originally?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAxv1...eature=related

it's awesome

-Dan
Old 24.02.2009, 08:38 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Couldn't tell, too much crappy music sucking up the whole audio spectrum.

Pity 80's bs is making a comeback, come on earth-bound comet...
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed." Einstein
Old 24.02.2009, 01:06 PM
Infektion taking hold...

gee thanks dude, i have no intention to make 80's style music. the bass is very clear, it follows the double kick drum hit. anyone else?

-Dan

Last edited by solconnection : 24.02.2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 24.02.2009, 01:14 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I'm at work so I can't listen. However, I think I know roughly what you mean. Like the massive "guitar" sound in Spitfire by The Prodigy?

If so, I have been able to create sounds like that before. If I remember right, it was using a combination of a few different techniques, including:

Unison
noise-based FM
Lots of distortion :>

Amp envelope is important to give it impact, pay particular attention to the attack and release knobs. Also remember it won't truly have an impact until you have a kick drum punching in at the start of the sound. :>

-Annikk
Old 24.02.2009, 01:30 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikk.exe View Post
I'm at work so I can't listen. However, I think I know roughly what you mean. Like the massive "guitar" sound in Spitfire by The Prodigy?

If so, I have been able to create sounds like that before. If I remember right, it was using a combination of a few different techniques, including:

Unison
noise-based FM
Lots of distortion :>

Amp envelope is important to give it impact, pay particular attention to the attack and release knobs. Also remember it won't truly have an impact until you have a kick drum punching in at the start of the sound. :>

-Annikk
thanks for the helpful reply mate, much appreciated.

That prodigy track is getting along the right lines but is still quite a different sound. The MBV bass has more of a sucking bass guitar slide sound to it or something...there is lots of attack on it and it doesn't coincide with a bass kick, i think there is some interesting compression on it too. I am most interested in finding a way to get similar movement. fm + unison could be a good place to start recreating the tone/texture though.

cheers
-Dan
Old 24.02.2009, 03:24 PM
aTISHooo!
I am starting to like this forum

Although it is hard to tell because the bitrate is very low.
To me it doesn't sound like a Bass guitar (if it is, it's sampled) I think it's an analogue synth, so it should be no problem recreating it.

The main ingredients are Pitch bend, Unison & Distortion, pitch is probably achieved with an envelope although you could just use the pitch wheel and automate it.
There are similar presets in the TI that you could tweak to get this sound.
I don't think you will get this exact sound with the onboard distortion, try a real analogue distortion or a good emulation.

iand: FYI, Lush were an early to mid 90's band, and crappy is a subjective term. Although I'm not a fan, untalented Chesney Hawkes types they were not.
Old 24.02.2009, 03:35 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
Although it is hard to tell because the bitrate is very low.
To me it doesn't sound like a Bass guitar (if it is, it's sampled) I think it's an analogue synth, so it should be no problem recreating it.

The main ingredients are Pitch bend, Unison & Distortion, pitch is probably achieved with an envelope although you could just use the pitch wheel and automate it.
There are similar presets in the TI that you could tweak to get this sound.
I don't think you will get this exact sound with the onboard distortion, try a real analogue distortion or a good emulation.

iand: FYI, Lush were an early to mid 90's band, and crappy is a subjective term. Although I'm not a fan, untalented Chesney Hawkes types they were not.
thanks mate, some helpful advice here, do you think the pitch mod is happening in all oscillators and what sort of values are we talking here, just a couple of semitones or a whole octave?. If you ever get the time and would be able to point me in the direction of a couple of these TI patches that would be great, if not, no prob im sure ill find a good starting point. Agree the TI's distortion could not do this, though i have lots of great distortions to play with.

I actually am not a big fan of the tune myself (though i think MBV are great) but the bass has always really grabbed me.

thanks again for the help, much appreciated
-Dan