Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > Off topic

Off topic An off topic playground. If your post doesn't seem to fit on the other areas, it surely will fit here.

Old 21.01.2009, 07:39 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Alcohol is the strangest of drugs..

Powerful and deadly. Makes me want to shout all the time, and listen to loud music.

Maybe I should write a trip report... hah... that would be funny.

Anyway yus. I am taking a break from another certain drug which I've been toking on the for last 3 months solid (hence the reason for taking a break). So I figured since the usual avenue of Getting Out Of My Tree is currently closed, I would have a beer.

Now before you all laugh at me for consciously feeling the effect of a single beer, let me stress that I do not drink a lot. Hardly ever, in fact... and I don't think I've touched a single drop in over a fortnight. When I do, it's usually red wine, and almost always in small quantities. Alcohol just isn't my thing really, although I am glad of it this evening.

How do you guys feel about alcohol? And in particular, how do you feel about it vs other drugs such as nicotine, caffeine, cannabis, and whatever else you happen to have chosen to take into your body?

-Annikk
Old 21.01.2009, 09:05 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Alcohol is great in certain social situations, in moderation. It's not very good for working on music. Cannabis has been a long time friend, until New Years. I cut it out after a long struggle with trying to work on music "not stoned". It never worked well. I've decided I need to find my new weed-free musical flow and my creativity in the short term has died, although I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Caffeine is excellent for working on music. Coca tea is also excellent for music. The coffee substitue Yerba Mate is another one that soars with excellence in the creative department....
Old 21.01.2009, 10:34 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

hooch is a big favourite of mine, it does seem to unlock some more creativity, but like Monobeat I have given it the boot.
I have heard a good coffee does also help.
Have'nt had much luck with drinking and creating music, just seems to make me crank everything up too loud.....
Old 21.01.2009, 10:48 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

I find that more than a tiny bit of booze tends to lead to bum notes and timing errors that are, oddly, not apparent at the time . OK for jamming or exploring in the privacy of one's own studio, not good for recording or performing ...

[glug, glug]
Old 22.01.2009, 12:18 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Alcohol....Hmmm, liquid courage. Not always best for making music or even living... It will kill you in heavy withdrawls. But in this shithole country I live in you don't have many anti-sobriety substitutes.
Let's remember that drugs have always been the main influence in music. Especially electronic music. Otherwise it's probably ego or pussy that brings about people to find interest in making music. Hense DJ's being so popular... Whatever your preference of drugs.. It's usually better than sobriety. Anyways if you find another interest in it your probably talented. Personally psychedelics have been my fancy.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: His eyes are closed." Einstein

Last edited by iand : 22.01.2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 23.01.2009, 01:02 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Tonight is the end of the self-imposed dry period. In about 5 hours from now I will be totally baked, and most likely killing zombies with friends :>

-Annikk
Old 23.01.2009, 05:04 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I am only smoking on Sundays at band practice when playing the drums. I feel so much better these dayz.
Old 23.01.2009, 05:38 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Man, how do you do it? I couldn't be bothered with something involving such physical exertion in that state..

Twiddling knobs on the other hand, comes quite naturally.. :> I often find that I am able to isolate myself in the music a lot better... or to put it another way, I enter "the zone" much faster, deeper, and stay there longer. Some of my very favourite sounds were created whilst stoned.

Speaking of which... :: toke ::

-Annikk
Old 23.01.2009, 06:54 PM
Infektion taking hold...

I think drugs like reefer/acid/shrooms are good for music *listening*... but I found that I am more productive when making music sober. I find it more rewarding to make a bunch of music.. then later on get stoned and listen to it.

that being said... I don't smoke any more... though I have the urge to listen to the tracks I've made over the past few years while high! maybe someday...

alcohol on the other hand is completely counterproductive to making music in any way (in my opinion)... as drunk=sloppy and numb.

spacemen 3... a completely drugged out (every drug including smack) psychedelic rock band from the 80s inevitably broke up because of alcohol use by one of the main members. apparently the drugs posed no problems to the music making... but the drinking did!

http://www.themoodchannel.com
Old 23.01.2009, 07:16 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

There is some real magic when it comes to a drum set and a spliff. You lose yourself and become more fluid. It somehow helps with coordination...

BTW... Here's my new jammy jam!! This was started before I stopped smoking weed. I'll post my newest new one that I started after New Years soon. It's been a very interesting change over...

Here is the link to the link::

http://infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=30422