Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 08.05.2006, 06:17 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul
Default Clean JP80xx supersaw demos anyone?

Does anyone have any simple JP supersaw patch demos that show off the supersaw and filters, but are other very clean?

I have the one off synthmania as a starting point - any others? ideally with midi files and even better - some comments on the JP patch stucture used (rough detune, LFO, fiter settinsg etc to save time). I dont have access to a JP80xx, but I do have access to a TI, V-Synth and a Radias.

ta
Old 08.05.2006, 09:52 PM

doesnt the V-synth have the supersaw with the typical roland lowpass filter modelled?
Old 08.05.2006, 10:02 PM

Maybe, but I would still be interested in trying to create some more controlled comparison demos.

TBH - Im not convinced that the V-Synth and the JP sound even vaguely alike as a complete instrument. Ie the osc may be (or may not be) the same, but I dont think the filters are.

Anyway - just thought it would be interesting to try and get a 'multi'-saws comparison demo done
Old 09.05.2006, 12:47 AM

Tell you what Khazul - may be a little off the original topic of the samples of 80xx, but you can make very huge supersaw-ish sounds on the V-Synth, by sampling and resampling.

For fun I decided to make a Nordsupersaw and CS10 supersaw and they both turned out far better than the V-Synth's analogue modeled supersaw OSC.

As far as the filters go, I feel you need to use both Cosm sections to build a good filter sound. I usualy run the duel filter on one and have a simple one on the other. The filters fall flat on the V-Synth in comparison with the Virus specially, but if you layer them and really play with them you can get very warm sounding filters working.

Also another way to get that supersaw like detuned motion with samples is the use stereo pitch shifter effect.

You may not have wanted to read any of this, but I thought I'd throw it in just in case.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 09.05.2006, 01:26 AM

Thats sounds good - Ive not tried doing much with sampling 'regular' synth sounds with the v-synth - usually wierd shit then finding odd textures within, or an accoustic/electric instrument and doing the same.

Not tried hammer drills though - that was good

The reason this subject came up is because of the number of posts Ive seen here and in other forums about can synth xxx do the JP supersaw thing...

So thought - right - time to find someone with a JP and do so controlled simple demos that really compare the JP with other known supersaw type synths, with no fx, pure osc sounds and maybe the filters.

The latest forum Ive seen this in is the Korg Radias forum, and of course saw it first in the v-synth forums and of course here and other virus forums.

I dont actually want to try and emulate a JP - I quite like my vs-super/hyper and unison saw (radias) the way they are

As for v-synth filters - yes - have to agree they are very sterile sounding in mid range where the character of a filter generally shines most, complately lacking in any decent snarl or bite with reso - more functional than musical I guess - actually compared to the virus most digital filters are functional rather than musical . They do seem quite good at extracting deep punchy bass sounds though.

Radias filter is interesting with the sweepable filter type (F1 is continually variable from LP24, through LP12, HP, BP and bypass).

I tend to use the TB303 model the most on the v-synth and tame it a bit so it doesnt sound as rough or couple a TVF with a comb.

Another good digital for filters is the Novation KS-Rack - probably derived from the nova filters - its a real shame novation didnt do a followup to the supernova 2.
Old 09.05.2006, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Thats sounds good - Ive not tried doing much with sampling 'regular' synth sounds with the v-synth - usually wierd shit then finding odd textures within, or an accoustic/electric instrument and doing the same.

Not tried hammer drills though - that was good
As long as you sample synths completely dry, you can do not only quite good emulations, but you can play with the sounds to things they could never do on the original machines.

Quote:
The reason this subject came up is because of the number of posts Ive seen here and in other forums about can synth xxx do the JP supersaw thing...

So thought - right - time to find someone with a JP and do so controlled simple demos that really compare the JP with other known supersaw type synths, with no fx, pure osc sounds and maybe the filters.

The latest forum Ive seen this in is the Korg Radias forum, and of course saw it first in the v-synth forums and of course here and other virus forums.

I dont actually want to try and emulate a JP - I quite like my vs-super/hyper and unison saw (radias) the way they are
Yeah I've read some of these too actually. Probably many people pissed off for paying too much for them.

Quote:
As for v-synth filters - yes - have to agree they are very sterile sounding in mid range where the character of a filter generally shines most, complately lacking in any decent snarl or bite with reso - more functional than musical I guess - actually compared to the virus most digital filters are functional rather than musical . They do seem quite good at extracting deep punchy bass sounds though.
Yup, but for something like the V-Synth I for one am glad they are functional. Take the first sound in that second V-Synth demo I did, I sampled the Nord screaming (and I mean screaming!), if I let the V-Synths filters open up fully (which I didn't for that demo by the way), it's sort of the same effect as having snarling filters, but this way you still get the characture of the original waveform.

If the V-Synths filters had too much characture of their own it would take away some of the tonal posibilities.

Quote:
I tend to use the TB303 model the most on the v-synth and tame it a bit so it doesnt sound as rough or couple a TVF with a comb.
I used the TB303 filter on a sound for the first time the other day actually. I find it not to work too well on most things - has a kind of dulling effect. Needs tweaking.

I usually use the Dual TVF, and then a standard TVF running a high or low pass depending on what the Duel filter is doing. Once I have played with settings I use these setting as a base for other Cosm setups, by just copying the Cosm sections from those patches to what ever I'm working on - all synths should have this sort of function by the way.

I mentioned the CS10 "sp saw" earlier. The third sound in my V-Synth demo one was actualy my CS10 layered and detuned, but all the filter work there was the V-Synth - if you heard the original waveform you'd be so surprised how harsh it is. This is the way to work with the V-Synth in my opinon, sample harsh (almost painfull waves) then use the V-Synths filters to calm them down.

But this is turning out to be more a tips for the V-Synth thread now.

We wanna hear those 80xx samples.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 09.05.2006, 06:10 AM

Khazul,
You mentioned the radias's filter. that is probably one of my favorite features on the synth. The ability to get in between each filter type has shown some good textures.
Old 10.05.2006, 04:16 PM

Thanks - they are all run through a processor by the sounds of it - Vitalizer Mk2 perhaps?
Old 10.05.2006, 04:39 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Thanks - they are all run through a processor by the sounds of it - Vitalizer Mk2 perhaps?
Not sure It's not specified on the Vengeance site.