Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 20.11.2005, 02:09 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Default TI vs JP8K: Hypersaw as bright as Supersaw (audio inside)?..

Hi,

I was wondering how well the TI with its new Hypersaw can emulate JP8000/8080 type sounds, like those pads that sound warm but also are very present in the high frequencies (without sounding too harsh).

Here's a sweeping JP8000 pad example to show what I mean: http://users.skynet.be/soundfiles/motorcycle.mp3 (it's the pad melody from "As the rush comes" by Motorcyle). It sounds very warm, but also when the filter goes full open it has very rich, smooth high frequencies which sound very pleasing.

When trying this with a Virus C the result was always much more colder and when the filter goes fully open it doesn't have those rich high frequencies and instead sound rather harsh.

So how is that now with the TI and its hypersaw.

As a comparison test, could anybody who has a TI please try to recreate the above sound with the above melody so I can hear how well it can make those JP8000 pads and post the audio results here (wav, mp3). I would really appreciate that alot!!

Note: my local music store doesn't have a demo TI in store at this moment, so I can't demo it. That's why I am asking for good audio demos from you guys.

Thanks alot!

Note: I have updated this message. Hopefully my question is more clear now and will I get better replies now! Thanks!
Old 20.11.2005, 10:02 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I'd say play a TI and use patch ROM-M 63 Ld StrngzMS.

Adjust the delay feedback and send to suit and its 98% the same sound.
Maybe untune the detune a bit. MS always likes the DETUNE the german way.
Old 21.11.2005, 10:36 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Problem is that my local music store doesn't have a demo model in the store right now (probably because of all the orders they have for that model I suppose).

Therefore, could anybody who already has the TI play the above melody with the TI (and perhaps use the patch mentioned by the previous poster and adjust it so it sounds like the sound I requested above) and post a high quality audio file (wav,mp3) of it here. I would REALLY appreciate that!

Thanks alot!

PS: let me know if you have no upload space for the file.
Old 21.11.2005, 11:10 PM
New here
New here

I'm at work right now, so I can't do as you ask, but I also found a preset on the Virus that was really close to that sample, but a different one than is listed above. I mean, it didn't sound identical, but in terms of the general sound of it, they were very similar. I don't think you need to worry about the Virus not being able to produce JP series sounds...
Old 22.11.2005, 03:22 AM
Amateur
Amateur

I'm working on it m8! I have the melody down in cubase on repeat and the sound you asked to use. It's close but not the same but i think it can be done. How much is it worth? lol
Old 22.11.2005, 03:39 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Could you please post a high quality audio file (mp3 or something) then of the result so I can hear it and also mention which patch you used and what changes you made, so that when a demo TI is available again in my local music store I can program it that way! I wonder if the hypersaw of the Virus when the filter goes open can sound as warm as the JP8000 cause in lots of mp3 demos they sound harsh when full open, but maybe that had to with the programming or something..

I would also appreciate it if you could post the patch so that when the demo TI is available again in the store I can quickly load it in and start playing. That would help me alot! Thanks!
Old 22.11.2005, 04:05 AM
New here
New here

I didn't save any of the work I did, but I did compare an open hyper saw playing the same melody and I wouldn't say it sounds harsher. They sounded quite similar, in terms of general tone. I just hadn't the ear to try simulate the modulations in the supplied pad...but, yeah, an open filter on a hypersaw sounds like the right starting point.
Old 22.11.2005, 05:30 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Ok this is what you asked for. Played on the Virus TI. Same patch as noted above with some tweaks.

This sample also shows a problem with pops and clicks with the TI and this patch. I'm not sure what?s going on but I had to give up on it in the end as one of the OSC's started to do some strange LFO and tuning.
If you want to pay me for it thats fine lol. I could get even closer to your sound if not for these bugs

http://bryncoedstudio.bulldoghome.co...Popsclicks.mp3
Old 22.11.2005, 05:52 AM
Amateur
Amateur

it works now, just copy the whole address with the pop click.mp3 bit!
Old 22.11.2005, 05:57 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~+?
it works now, just copy the whole address with the pop click.mp3 bit!
The link still doesn't work.. could you please post the correct full link? Thanks!