Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 02.02.2009, 10:15 PM
New here
New here

Default solved: TI2 desktop arrived! But can't upgrade/downgrade firmware...

Hi all!

I'm new here and my lovely new TI2 desktop just arrived today! I just couldn't resist, because I've been missing my Virus C ever since I sold it in 2004...

It really does sound great, but too bad that I'm having initial troubles with the computer integration side of things. I sent a ticket to Access support as well, but I thought I might as well ask if there are any other TI2 (or TI) owners who have the same problem(s) as I seem to have:

(WARNING - VERY LONG POST)

The unit seems to be working otherwise ok, but I'm not able to use the Total Integration capabilities at all. This might be because I'm not able to upgrade the firmware to any other version than the one pre-installed on the unit, which is 2.7.6.0.

The 2.7.5. version of the Virus software and the VST plugin doesn't react or sync to my hardware unit (perhaps because the firmware is too new?). If I install the 3.0 version of the software, the HW and VST start talking to each other and syncing patches, but I cannot use the plug-in for anything else, (because Virus Control says that the firmware of my synth is too old...).

The normal .msi installer of the firmware upgrade always freezes totally in the same point at "Found 1 Virus TI, switching to Update mode". The TI desktop does display the text "USB Update Mode", but nothing happens no matter how long I wait.

The Virus Control Center finds the Virus ok, states the right firmware (2.7.6.0) with status "Needs Update" . When I press OK to start the update, the tool always freezes at: Talking to Virus.... looking for Virus... and then gives a "Communication error message".
The dump log looks like this:
--- VDM Info ---
1 devices known to VDM
Device Dump:
VDII 0 Type: 'Virus'
VDII 0 SN: ''
VDII 0 Name: 'Old Firmware'
VDII 0 A/B: 0/0
VDII 0 RAM/ROM: 0/0
VDII 0 In BIOS: 0
VDII 0 DeviceType: 2/4/26
--- Bootup Log ---
--- Rebooting Virus TI2 Desktop (EDBXUvmAVTV), 0
Waiting for response from Virus
Device is ready
Waiting for Virus ...
Looking for Virus ...
Looking for Virus ...

I'm hoping this is not a hardware problem? The weird thing is that the MIDI interface capabilities and even using the unit as a ASIO sound card work ok, but I'm just not able to update the firmware and use the TI functionalities and get any Virus related sound in either of my hosts (Live 7.03 & Tracktion 3 - the second of which probably isn't even officially supported, though).

I've tried the firmware upgrade now with 2 different XP SP3 computers and one Vista SP1 rig... all of them show the same behaviour. I've also reinstalled the drivers various times and tried booting the TI directly to USB Update mode by pressing exit while powering the unit on. As a last resort, I even tried Safe mode (both on XP and Vista) and the Virus control center update both on XP and Vista, but this didn't help either...

In a nutshell, I'm now officially clueless

Hopefully either Access or some of you guys can help!

PS. Thanks, if any of you read this far

Last edited by acidjazz : 05.02.2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02.02.2009, 11:45 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Hello acidjazz,

I have a Virus TI Polar (original) and I have never encountered any problem like that, but have encountered a problem re-updating my machine the other night. I got as far as to the point where its suppose to switch the virus to update mode, but didnt and said that the install was finished, which is not the case. I resolved the issue, by unplugging my virus from the A/C and plugging back in, then holding down the ARP edit button, to reset the virus. I was albe to re-install my drivers and software.

I do know this, you have to use the same usb port and not try and switch ports on the machine.

You should possible uninstall any updates you tried in the past and even possibly remove any info in your registry depending on you OS (Windows -run then regedit)

Also, when it askes you if you want to install another device, I always select NO, but the YES button is set to the default, dunno why - you are probably only installing one access virus, but dunno your situation

***Maybe these will help you - I have found that its mostly software issues oppose to hardware issues with this type of machine, everything has to be in order to function correctly - the software and synth has to be on the same page so to speak***
Old 03.02.2009, 07:16 AM
New here
New here

Hi Dot Matrix,

& thanks for your kind reply. The procedure for resetting the TI is useful info, thanks for that! Unfortunately in this case it didn't solve my problem. I can still get the TI2 to go to USB update mode ok, but the firmware update always fails to finish...

I also tried uninstalling again, removed the registry entries related to Access - Virus TI, rebooted and installed everything again. Still no luck. I doubt that it's a question of the USB port either, because I've tried this with 3 computers now...

I received a help suggestion from Access, recommending me to boot while holding the Exit button to get to USB update mode (something that I had tried already & didn't help with getting the update to finish this time either).

Seems like I'm still stuck with the 2.7.6.0 firmware which doesn't work with VC 2.7.5 or with VC 3.0... Hopefully I can find a solution with Access, so that I won't have to return the unit...

But thanks again for your helpful post & if anyone has successfully used their TI2 2.7.6. with any version of the Virus Control plug-in, or has successfully updated the firmware, please let me know
Old 03.02.2009, 11:19 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

acid,
I read people are using os 3.0 in new ti2 desktop. Try to solve your problem or send it back because it seems is an uncommon problem.

greets
Old 03.02.2009, 11:35 AM
New here
New here

Hey acidjazz!

I have almost the exactly same problems on my brand new TI2 desktop! (you can check my post "Can`t sync my Virus TI")

The advice i can give is to check your mail inbox frequently. I am currently mailing back and forth with access support, and it seems like i have to do some changing on the TI manually.

My initial mail to them was much like yours, so i guess you will have to do the same.

If you have any other questions, just ask

SK
Old 03.02.2009, 12:41 PM
New here
New here

Thanks guys, this is a great forum
I'm at work now and can't troubleshoot the unit, but will follow-up with Access support once I get my hands on it again.

Superkangaroo, would it be a hassle for you to send me either via PM or e-mail the whole list of suggestions/steps Access support provided you, so that I know a little bit what to expect?

Hopefully your unit (& mine of course) get sorted out!

I'll try sending you my e-mail address via PM. If this doesn't work out, no worries
Old 03.02.2009, 07:21 PM
New here
New here

Hi all,

i have a virus TI2 desktop, i when i have recieve the unit, i have install the OS3 in my virus, and this update work fine.

but in the OS 3 the arte too many bugs ( automations ... ) and i want to downgrade my virus. but after my uninstall of version 3, impossible to downgrade my virus
when the install arrives where she must update firmware the install freeze and nos reponse from my virus, her mode switch to USB update mode but no install of firmware 2.7.5 ;(

i have contact access and i wait the ansmwer

(sorry for my very bad english)
Old 03.02.2009, 08:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMute View Post
Hi all,

i have a virus TI2 desktop, i when i have recieve the unit, i have install the OS3 in my virus, and this update work fine.

but in the OS 3 the arte too many bugs ( automations ... ) and i want to downgrade my virus. but after my uninstall of version 3, impossible to downgrade my virus
when the install arrives where she must update firmware the install freeze and nos reponse from my virus, her mode switch to USB update mode but no install of firmware 2.7.5 ;(

i have contact access and i wait the ansmwer

(sorry for my very bad english)
i think OS3 is fine in general. there is a couple of things which need to be fixed, for instance automation in protools which is indeed broken. apart from that, i cannot think of something so drastic that you wouldn't like to work with 3.0. - i hope that we can provide a better public beta within the next week, fingers crossed.

in any case, don't attempt to install 2.7.5. with the new Virus TI2 - it won't work! the TI2 range is simply not known to this older piece if software. it won't break anything but as i said, it won't work at the same time.

best, marc
Old 03.02.2009, 08:31 PM
New here
New here

with my TI2 and ableton live 7.0.14, i can't records more than 4 automations because they dont work properly, and my automations are played strangely.
Old 03.02.2009, 08:52 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMute View Post
with my TI2 and ableton live 7.0.14, i can't records more than 4 automations because they dont work properly, and my automations are played strangely.
can you please supply access support with a demo project and explain exactly what's going wrong for you?

thanks, marc