Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 13.06.2005, 04:20 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Default ben? VIRUS TI vs ROLAND V-SYNTH

i think i will need to sue access for hair loss and the sudden grey hairs just above my ears. actually more on the right side than left.

i have been fiddling with the roland V-SYNTH at my local shop, wondering if i should buy that instead.
anyone own a V-SYNTH here and how does it compare to VIRUS C.

it USES both analog type waveforms and then also heaps of PCM waveforms. so you can have one waveform doing a typical analog thing and then the other oscillator play PCM waveform.
it sounds so cool, and has these pretty cool effects and filters as well.

If BEN CROSSLAND is reading. Is that roughly what the new VIRUS TI CAN DO?????????????????????????????????????

how many effects does the VIRUS TI have.
The great thing about ROMPLER SYNTHS such as TRITON are the amount of effects one can choose from.

THE FOLLOWING MIGHT NOT BE CORRECT.
the V-SYNTH seems like a mixture of 1)VA and 2)all this ROMPLER stuff.
It sounds real cool for industrial sounds. Fantastic for gritty film music as well.
The intersting thing about the V-SYNTH is its graveelly, raspy character making it almost a must to have. almost like slight distortion or noise is put in every sound, ever so slightly.
sorry for my bad explanations of the sound and technicalities

any opinions BEN on the capbilities of VIRUS TI vsV-SYNTH.

can the TI by using slight noise and emphasis of lower frequencies get tough industrial type sounds.

anyone else here can write about this
Old 13.06.2005, 06:30 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

The Virus is not a ROMpler. It does not play samples. It can never sound like a piano, nor any other 'real' or natural instruments.

However, the TI does have absolutely minute 'snippets' (samples) of different waveforms (about 5 milliseconds each), which are part of the Wavetable and the Waveshapes, but these are very simple, raw, single-cycle waveforms and don't constitute natural, full-sounding sounding instruments with natural attack, decays etc.. They're effectively (and literally) PCM 'oscillators'.
The TI is not able to import your own waveshapes for the Wavetables nor Waveshapes. You have to use the ones that Access have pre-installed.

Furthermore, the TI will only ever do virtual analogue and wavetable synthesis. However the polyphony is extensive at, I think, around 80 voices (the V-Synth has 24 voices, I think).

The V-Synth looks like it can do a lot. Major sample-mangling, sample playback, virtual analogue, vocal modulating, realtime time-stretching/variphrase, step modulating, various modelling effects (COSM), AND it has some rather lovely realtime modulation controllers like 2 x D-Beams, the XY Pad, pitchbend and mod levers, and the touchscreen.

The TI will do HyperSaw, while the VSynth will do the original SuperSaw. Both synths have programmable Arpeggiators, too.
Both synths also have external audio inputs for realtime processing.

I don't have either synth, but I can dream....
Old 13.06.2005, 08:06 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Don't ask me - I've never played a V-Synth.
Old 13.06.2005, 11:33 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

The V-Synth rocks!
I sold my virus b in Dec to fund the TI and had the cash sitting there tempting me for months before I broke down and upgraded my DAW. I've had the V-Synth since it was released and I regard it as the most innovative synth currently on the market. Sure some other synths do one or 2 things the V does, but the combination and ergonomics are just killer. The new 2.0 OS is what finally made me stop lusting after the TI. Don't get me wrong ... I still want a Polar, because I want something I can lug around with my laptop.
The V is not a rompler in the traditional sense however. Nor can you load your own multi-sampled instruments. What it does have is the ability to timestretch a single sample in real-time across the keyboard.
You can get some amazing results just by loading any nondescript sample and stretching, freezing and shifting it.
The VA section gets some bad press but it all depends on what you are expecting to get out of it. If you are looking for super accurate analog modeling or zipper free filter sweeps, look elsewhere. If you want to add some balls to your timestretched samples it doesn't get better than this. The VA oscs have sub-oscs but I only wish there was a third main oscillator. You can always resample though and this is very easy to do.
The arp is one of the best an any synth, and unlike the TI arp can control any parameter of the synth engine. Also, the step sequencer is very cool for this and comes with preset shapes.
You really need to spend some time with it and explore it so get down to GC or whatever.

Sorry if i sound like a Roland rep, but I must admit I've truly become a V-Synth evangelist.
If you want you can check out my (mostly) V-Synth track including v-synthed vocals here: http://home.comcast.net/~grimleyj/Empty_Hall.mp3
Old 14.06.2005, 10:09 AM
Am starting to like this forum

i have both the V-synth and Virus c

and i use both !!

they are very different the v-synth is for realy creating weird unheard new stuff...things unimaginable and i use the virus for warm fat synth patches. v-synth has great rhytm capabilities

i dont use the v-synth for lead patches > my nord and virus does that

another great thing about the v-synth is the time trip pad and d-beam to realy get weird stuff out of it ...also i use the D50 card on the v-synth !!

both are easy to program. v-synth has a digital out also and a great touchscreen...you can tweak on the screen or on the knobs !! but not weigthed keys

i will sell my c when i get the TI

IMHO the v-synth, virus c and nord 3 is the most powerfull synthesizers out there but i cant say which one is best !! i use all 3 of them dialy !!

if you can get the TI and the v-synth both

i think the Ti will be better than the "c" but heck i just hope the damn thing get released still this year !!
just my 2 c
Old 14.06.2005, 10:57 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

damn acid1 you got quit a collection of digital synths dont you?
Old 14.06.2005, 03:20 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

HEY MIDISLUT,

you are a very lucky fella having both V-SYNTH and VIRUS C.

boy what a perfect combination.
Old 14.06.2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomonster
HEY MIDISLUT,

you are a very lucky fella having both V-SYNTH and VIRUS C.

boy what a perfect combination.

here is all my work horses lined up !!

and boy oh boy they can pull a wagon !!!!!

Korg Triton Studio 88 ( EXB-Moss & PCM 02,03,04,05,06/07,09)
Roland MC 909 (SRX eight) ; XP80 (SR-JV80 02,16,05,11); V-Synth (VC1)
Kurzweil PC1X
Elektron Machine drum
Clavia Nord Lead 3 (Rack)
Access Virus Classic ;
Yamaha Motif ES (Rack)

it took me +- 10 years to get this setup....the pc1x drives my giga pc and eastwest sample libraries
i cant think of a more complete better setup realy in all humbleness

but the downside is sometime there is too many options and one fall in a no work gets done trap...
and it takes many years to learn them all well > manuals....and issues !!

well....i am happy realy !!
Old 14.06.2005, 05:32 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

hey midislut,

i have the TRITON 66 note keyboard. I also bought the TRANCE BOARD.

Is that trance board a PCM board.

Whats the difference between say the TRANCE PCM waveforms and the PCM waveforms of the V-SYNTH.

Is it just the case of lenght of waveform
Old 14.06.2005, 05:54 PM

the triton (mine) has the "trance" expansion card

i dont use the v-synth at all for trance sounds....i cant even remember now if it has trance preset sounds....although i think one can create some !!...but still the virus is king in trance and thats it

my expansion vc1 card in the v-synth is a D50 (sound module)

the v-synth is great for loading in waveforms IMO and resampling and do weird stuff with it