Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 05.04.2005, 09:23 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Simonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten
Well, ive spent the last couple of months speccing and building my new DAW while waiting for the TI.

Its cost a pretty penny but it should be worth it.

Here is the run down of what it features....

Dual AMD Opteron 250 (2.4ghz) E step .90nm cpus
Swiftech H20-120-DB (rev3) dual opteron water cooling kit
Tyan 'Thunder K8WEX' (S2895) Dual Opteron nforce4 pro SLI SCSI version motherboard
4gig (4x1gb) Corsair EEC registered DDR400/3200 ram running (2 for each cpu, dual chan, NUMA enabled)
1x Maxtor Atlas II 36gb 15k u320 scsi drive (main OS drive, dual boot winxp pro(32 /PAE enabled) and winxp pro(64) (ch1 onboard scsi)
2x Maxtor Atlas II 73gb 15k u320 scsi drives (1 for audio programs/vstis - other for audio samples/streaming) (both ch2 onboard scsi)
2x Maxtor Diamond Max plus 10 16mb cache 300gb SATA drives (both for main scsi hard drive backup images and misc file storage) (NCQ enabled)
Silverstone ST64ZF 650watt split plane (4x 12v) EPS12/SSI PSU
Matrox Millennium P650 128 PCI-Express graphics card running dual output at 1920x1200 DVI (in pci-e slot 1 routed through nforce4 pro 2050 to cpu 2)
LaCie 64bit PCI-X Firewire 800 card (in slot A 133mhz pcix slot) (routed through amd8131 to cpu1 bypassing nforce4)
Magma 7 slot 32bit/33mhz PCI expansion chassis (connected to cpu2/nforce4 pro 2200 bypassing amd8131)
RME FireFace 800 (connected to lacie firewire card at 800mbs bypassing nforce4)
4x UAD1 dsp pci cards (all on same IRQ inside magma chassis)
2x TC powercore dsp pci cards (all on same IRQ inside magma chassis)
2x Dell 24-inch 2405FPW LCD (running dual outputs both at 1920x1200 DVI each)

I have all the parts already, just the motherboard now which should arrive next Thursday and then its complete, excited to say the least

Should do me good for a few tracks and vstis lol

ten
Holy fuck! 8O You bitch!

I'm just biting my nails waiting...
Old 05.04.2005, 02:26 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Hi Ten

Are you running Cubase on that machine ?
Old 05.04.2005, 03:06 PM
Pro
Pro

I kind of gave up waiting for the TI months ago. I've been filling my rack with some cheaper synth modules and I don't regret it. In fact with the price of a TI you can buy lots of different cheaper synths. You can decide whether you buy just 1 synth module or 5 synth modules from which you get alot of different kind of sounds, lots of outputs and polyphony and about 5 times the TI's knobs too.
Old 05.04.2005, 03:28 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Hi midi, yea will be running sx3.

ten
Old 06.04.2005, 01:02 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

seeing as i already have a virus b if i had ?1500 to spend i would do what f5d would - buy lots of modules! expand my options and my working sound palette. i would buy a juno 106, a second hand nord lead 2 and maybe a pair of decent monitors. and still have chump change left over to buy ice cream.

how good is that?!
Old 18.04.2005, 03:37 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Well I have to admit all this waiting was really starting to get to me since I had no keyboards to play. So I did a little shopping over the weekend and picked up two new controllers; A M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro and a Kontrol49 plus I got one free a MS-20 with the Korg legacy Collection software (KLC). I played with the KLC for a few hours over the weekend and I love it? I was hesitant to get involved with software synth after my less than enchanting experiences with Reason. I felt it sounded cardboard? Just not real, but this new KLC is something else. It sounds just like hardware and perhaps even more important to many, thanks to having lots of controllers it feels just like hardware. This is great if, like me, you hate turning knobs with a mouse. It was the free demo version available on Korg?s website that really sold me on it. My confidence in software has been restored. I still have hardware and there will always be a place in my studio for really good hardware synths. The TI is still on my list, provided it can impress me. But now I know it will need to be pretty dam good to compete with the new breed of software that is out.
I also have Native Instrument?s Komplete 2 on order which includes Reaktor 5, Absynth 3, Kontakt 2, Battery 2 along with a ton of other stuff. Granted I do hear that Kontakt 2 is buggy, but all version 1.0s are so no surprise there.

At least now I can satisfy my creative needs. I say, if the wait drives you nuts and you have the cash to spare, look into getting some software to play with. Just make sure you get a good controller to go with it. It makes a world of difference to the whole experience. I think many here will love the KLC, it really is an awesome piece and at $499 will hardly touch your TI fund. You can check out the demo at Korg?s website, I think they really nailed it.
Now for the first time in awhile I don?t really care if the TI takes two weeks or six months to be released, because I can make tunes either way
Old 19.04.2005, 06:28 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
I kind of gave up waiting for the TI months ago. I've been filling my rack with some cheaper synth modules and I don't regret it. In fact with the price of a TI you can buy lots of different cheaper synths. You can decide whether you buy just 1 synth module or 5 synth modules from which you get alot of different kind of sounds, lots of outputs and polyphony and about 5 times the TI's knobs too.
Solid advice.
I never really thought I would cancel my preorder, but the time has come.
I will be contacting my supplier this afternoon to see what sort of deal he can wrangle me on a lead2x and a DS evolver.

cheers

blay
Old 19.04.2005, 09:40 AM

Blay....im thinking of buying a N2x aswel m8. Just gonna use that and pick up a TI in a years time......

Ive gone off the idea of A6 because I'd like to set some money aside for the TI when it does finally come out

*the upshot of it is.....I need a synth....ive been without one since Sept 4th '04. Thats a painfully long time

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 19.04.2005, 12:39 PM
Administrator

I bought a Ghost console with the TI money, and am about to purchase a new laptop. I had the money for the TI since last year, but bought a 2nd-hand Indigo to tide me through until the TI is fully released.
Old 19.04.2005, 02:03 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Wow a lot of people seeing the light here. The truth is there's no sense in just sitting around waiting on the TI to be released. We have no idea what the nature of the holdup is and no way of knowing if we are looking at weeks or even years. Why waste you creative energy being frustrated when you could get something else and use that energy making music now?

Reality check... To date no hit songs have been made on a TI, so we know it is possible to make killer tracks without one. Since I got my new stuff I've been a lot happier. It's great! I'm not waiting for the TI anymore. I look at it this way, if the TI comes out and it's wonderful, then I'll get one, if not or if it's just OK then big deal, at least I haven't wasted all my time for nothing. Don't put you life on hold waiting for some magic product that's gonna make your next song killer. Use your talent to do that.
Believe me, even if the TI is released and is every bit as powerful as hyped up to be, it will still pale when compared to some of the soft-synths out there and they are much less costly.
Fancy gear is nice, but the most important component will always be you. So stop wasting ?you? and find a way to start making music now!