Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 26.10.2004, 11:57 PM
Pro
Pro

Default Original Music will get you a record deal?

Hi guys,

I have read a number of posts on this forum where people are telling others that all the music coming out seems to sound the same and if you want a record deal then you need to get a fresh new sound.

Now, this seems like a paradox to me as all those people out there that are rehashing the same two fingered riffs again and again are getting the record deals and the people that are writing unique music aren't, otherwise we would be hearing lots of unique music. Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Now, I don't claim to have the answers and certainly don't claim to have gotten a record deal myself as I am a fetus in the world of producing. In saying that, here's my two cents. In my experience of performing music (around 18 years) I have always had the most success by walking the tightrope between a few different genres. Never going too far outside the conventions and formulas of your chosen genre, but always pushing the boundaries a little bit. After all, people like listening to music that they know and that is familiar. Producers might not like that, but the general public certainly do and I think they have voted with their wallets on that one for decades now.

People like hearing things that is made up of one part 'heard it before' and one part 'what the hell is that!?!'

Well thats my two cents, lets see what you other people out there have to say.
Old 27.10.2004, 12:13 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Of course reusing some old ideas is a best way to go (and usually a prerequisite for sensible music). Like Stravinski said: "The one who doesn't steal, doesn't have ears", but I've ranted many times when people do 100% exact copies of existing tracks without adding anything of their own. It's like they're afraid of dying if they invent something new to that genre.

What I've meant by making something new is exactly what you say: Expanding boundaries. Inventing something totally new is quite impossible unless you make total cacophony that no-one likes (except those who try to get ego boost by listening to music that everybody else dislikes), so you'll end up combining the existing things in a new way to get something new. It's like chemistry. You have chemicals and combining chemicals you create new compunds and combining these new compounds you get more new chemicals, etc.

I still believe copying exactly what others do just puts you as part of a big gray mass. To get noticed from that mass you need to be lucky, have contacts or have already a name on the scene. I could bet my arm that the best way for a total newbie to stand out is to make something new and personal. And I believe that making something new is also more fun that copying everything like a medieval monk.

A millionth time: Be creative and be silly so that you'd be noticed! Stand out the crowd! Electronic music need creative people, not a bunch of copycats and monks. Avoid killing the electronic music and make something new today.

Edit: Copying existing stuff is brilliant for learning basic tricks. It's very good practise for a beginner and that's it. Just for practice. But it seems though that some people just get stuck on that practice stage for years.

While making some sandwiches I invented a brilliant analogy for this whole creativity issue: Imagine we would have a juggler circus. In that circus there are five jugglers who all juggle with bowling pins. The circus master puts up an ad "Juggler wanted. Juggling trials on next thursday". The trial day comes and there are two young canditates. The first canditate stands up in the spotlight and starts to juggle with bowling pins. He's very good. He can throw the pins behind his back. Actually he's even as good as the current jugglists at the circus. The circus master is very impressed by this young talent. The turn for second canditate comes. He also juggles with bowling pins, but before he starts he lights the pins on fire. He's not as good juggler as the previous guy. He can't throw the pins behind his back and he's not as fluent juggler as the previous one. If you'd be the circus master, which one would you pick?
Old 27.10.2004, 12:26 AM
Pro
Pro

If you do, will anyone ever hear it?[/quote]
Old 27.10.2004, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal
If you do, will anyone ever hear it?
If you sit on your arse and hope for a miracle, then probably no. It's always important to promote your music. Tell your friends about it (and if you're good enough they'll tell about you to their firends, etc), advertise ruthlessly, ask DJ's to test play your music, send your demos and/or promo CD's around. If you're good enough things will eventually start rolling forward by their own. You'll just have to give it a push at start and have some luck.
Old 27.10.2004, 03:33 AM

I agree with eveything Juho has brought up except for the Bowling pin analogy.

I hear people in certain (if not all) genres copying certain styles and sounds. But there are some genres in which people copy exactly. They want to use the same riff, same production techniques and not to mention the same sounds as songs that are already released. This takes the art out of making music in my opinion. May as well become a DJ if this is what you want to do. I think to have music released (in the dance or pop scenes) it does need a familiar feel. To be noticed however it needs to have something a little different going for it - unless you have some good contacts.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of your music.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 27.10.2004, 04:27 AM
Pro
Pro

I agree with what you both are saying and at this stage I'm working on learning to drive my virus, sequencer, production techniques and what not, because the last thing I want to do is approach the right people with substandard material. I don't believe they will give you a second chance if you waste their time and make them listen to amatuer, poorly produced, unoriginal shite.

When I started DJing, I worked really hard, and when I was better than average I started playing out, and had quite a fast rise to the top of the local scene because here was this new guy with skillz. I intend to do the same with my producing, unfortunately it takes exponentially longer to be a good producer then a good DJ.

I hear great music in my head, I just need the skills and gear to get it out. Now I've got most of the essential gear and its just the knowledge and skills lacking. Ah patience is truly a virtue.
Old 27.10.2004, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
I agree with eveything Juho has brought up except for the Bowling pin analogy.
Hey! It was a brilliant analogy!

To gopal: You're on right trail. Go forth and you might find yourself making some extra cash with your music.