Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 08.04.2009, 12:05 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default Virus Ti as my main audio interface?

I'd like to get some opinions whether I should use my Creamware (old) Pulsar 1 soundcard as my audio interface, or my new Access Virus Ti Snow?

I know it can function like one, but is it really designed for that purpose as well?

Or would any other good audio interface be at least as good as the Virus, regarding that purpose?
Old 08.04.2009, 12:35 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

yup, it works just fine as a sound card.
In my studio I use my trusty echo layla 24 for all of my audio processing, but when I travel, I use my ti and it works great.
Old 08.04.2009, 02:21 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Was wondering the same....
Want to use my Virus Snow as soundcard, and sell my other one.
I noticed a more clean/crispier sound....

But also wondering:

- Is that due to better ad/da converters or something?
- Is the virus as soundcard 24 bit?
- Can i expect troubles, when using as soundcard, having all the 3 virtual USB OUTS, and the 4 parts all at once?
Old 08.04.2009, 03:11 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default My 2 cents

I don't think it's suprising you would want to use your Snow as your soundcard. Think about the fact that D/A converters are in fact 192kHz and 24 bit. They are also newer technology than your old converters, and converters have definitely increased over time.
The other thing is, I sometimes wonder whether the converters on the Snow may even be slightly better than my Polar (TI1). I think this because I had a loan Snow before my Polar arrived, I don't know whether I was imaging things but at one point when auditioning the Snow I thought it was going to blow my speaker cones out the sound was soo punchy.
Old 08.04.2009, 04:03 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
I don't think it's suprising you would want to use your Snow as your soundcard. Think about the fact that D/A converters are in fact 192kHz and 24 bit. They are also newer technology than your old converters, and converters have definitely increased over time.
The other thing is, I sometimes wonder whether the converters on the Snow may even be slightly better than my Polar (TI1). I think this because I had a loan Snow before my Polar arrived, I don't know whether I was imaging things but at one point when auditioning the Snow I thought it was going to blow my speaker cones out the sound was soo punchy.
the converters are not better.

marc
Old 08.04.2009, 07:05 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
I thought that the snow only has 44/16 for I/O. this isn't clear in the specs though... I mean... what specs?

http://www.themoodchannel.com
Old 08.04.2009, 08:35 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

This has confused me as well. My Virus TI can (as I understand it) output at 44.1 or 48khz, but the converters are 192khz... why are the converters capable of such a massively higher sampling rate? Or do they only swing into action if you're using the analog outputs, and then it really is outputting at 192khz? Or..?

Yea, I know nothing about D/A A/D converters... :>

-Annikk
Old 09.04.2009, 10:28 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Maybe it's the analog in/out which is converted into 192khz, and the digital signal (USB) is at 48khz.

Does that make any sense?
Old 12.04.2009, 08:57 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Default Well...

My guess would be that the higher sample rate is only used thru the SPDIF jack since it is high quality loss less!

I too have not been able to get a higher sample rate thru the usb....Havn't tried extremly hard!
Old 14.04.2009, 01:47 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
the converters are not better.

marc
Really? I've come across more than one comment on this forum and elsewhere that seems to suggest that the snow's outputs are higher quality than the bigger TIs (mk1 at least). So there's absolutely no change in D/A spec from TI to Snow or TI2?