Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 23.04.2009, 10:07 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Default Gear for a DJ set

I'm wishing to start Djing a little, I got some hooks around where I'm living but I need the right gear...I was planning to use a laptop Pc [so I need an external sound interface] with NI Traktor Duo, [legally purchased] mp3s and a MIDI Dj table (I don't think I can make it without one...)

some advice about brands and budget? of course I'd like to have the cheapest gear providing a decent sound

sorry if my english is worse than my usual, it's too late and I drank too much beer in the evening...

thanx in advance
My personal music (classical, soundtrack, anything else): http://www.myspace.com/stefanobottarellimusic

"Everything starts with E"
Old 23.04.2009, 10:31 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

First stop using traktor!!! Thats not mixing or DJing!!

Go buy an Pioneer 800 mixer and 2 tecks! CDJs at a minimum! Now put in some effort and BAM years later you will actually have the ability to call yourself a DJ!! Maybe even worth booking!
Old 23.04.2009, 10:50 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BHG~ View Post
First stop using traktor!!! Thats not mixing or DJing!!

Go buy an Pioneer 800 mixer and 2 tecks! CDJs at a minimum! Now put in some effort and BAM years later you will actually have the ability to call yourself a DJ!! Maybe even worth booking!
if the mix sounds good... that's what's important... not what your medium or method is...

http://www.themoodchannel.com
Old 23.04.2009, 10:58 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I've been djing for eons, and in the end, what matters is your mix and how the audience reacts to it. You'll need some sort of human interface to quickly mix your collection of music, so only a laptop will not do. Using a midi DJ interface is a great way to get the feel of CDJs and a mixer.

I would suggest the Hercules RMX series, for the dollar they are your best bet, and Virtual DJ works great.

If the DJ interface world works for you, you will be pulled in deeper. And if you develop talent, eventually you will purchase CDJs because that's what you'll need to nknow how to use in the real world, alongside worldclass DJS..

Good Luck
Old 24.04.2009, 12:07 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Joel Zimerman AKA Deadmau5 uses ableton live to mix his trax allover the world and makes more money off it than any of us so its not the software issue Its the trax, groove and feel of your mixes/set. Now keep in mind he uses a jazzmutant, a million button monome and a xone 4d and hes mixing his own trax with his own samples. In the end if you can getting people on the dance floor is all that matters. ps is the APC-40 ever coming out?
Old 24.04.2009, 01:13 AM
Pro
Pro

I don't see a whole lot of difference between CD-Js/Laptopping.. if you're setting a cue point and hitting a start/play button to drop the track in, then its the same deal.

Vinyl spinning requires a bit more knowhow to actually cue and maintain pitch properly with your decks and records, and is great fun. It's also incredibly expensive. Mixes are what counts in the end, if you play a banging set and understand the crowd, then they will appreciate you.
Old 24.04.2009, 07:11 AM
Am starting to like this forum

agree with feedinggear...of course analog mixing requires much more skills, I even heard some dj calling digital or cd-mixing "cheating"...but who cares? :P

@Monobeat: I didn't think of mixing without a midi interface even for a second, of course
the question is: do I need a top-class laptop or I can do it with a normal pc [of course a dedicated pc, no other shit on it]? and what about the audio interface?
My personal music (classical, soundtrack, anything else): http://www.myspace.com/stefanobottarellimusic

"Everything starts with E"
Old 26.04.2009, 06:47 PM
New here
New here

If you can, learn to mix with vinyl. If records are too expensive/hard to find then u can get something like Serato or even CDJ´s.

Learning to mix vinyl is the true art of DJing. Then u can mix with anything else.

Good luck!
Old 26.04.2009, 09:54 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

You might be interested in this..

-Annikk
Old 27.04.2009, 05:55 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

My DJ laptop is an Dell Inspiron 1.6 ghz with a celeron processor. You don't need much horsepower to stereo mix 2 tracks with DJ software. You'll be surprised at how little horsepower it requires.