Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 20.02.2011, 06:00 PM
New here
New here

Default howto selfoscillating sound and octave switch

hi,

is there a chance to have only the resonance sounding on a filter (without an oscillator)

does the oscillators have an octave switch??

cheers
andreas
Old 20.02.2011, 08:47 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

If you're using a Virus C or TI, the analog filters self oscillate (so you can turn osc volume all the way down and you'll only hear the filter).

Oscs don't have an octave switch, just the transpose in semitones (12 semitones = 1 octave)
Old 21.02.2011, 05:52 PM
Pro
Pro

Hi...i just tried this out...nice...
But...should I not get a sine wave only...with no harmonics ? in 4pole mode it is close..but still not pure tone ??

on my mopho when I do this...I get a pure sine wave...
is there something i'm missing ?
Old 21.02.2011, 06:39 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Are you using saturation? also, not all filters behave the same way: I think it's very possible that Access made their AE filter produce some more harmonics than an ideal self-oscillation would. It sounds similar to a triangle wave to me - I'd never checked with a scope, tough...and since I prefer the sweetness of the tri to the sound of a sine I also find it quite enjoyable
Old 03.03.2011, 08:35 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

[edit] i just re-read the post, and my question is completely seperate, sorry about that [edit]
I have been struggling with something similar, and if anyone can provide some type of insight, i'd be extremely grateful.
Let me precursor by saying I understand if this is not do able, because most people don't want an extremely digital sound out of an outboard piece of gear, but at this particular point, it's what i'm searching for.
Now, I use the TI, and i understand that using certain filters will create some harmonic movement, and i have tried as many things as I can think of.
even when i set the osc volume (general saturation) to barely audible, and i slap a limiter on the channel to make it louder, regardless of what filter i use, there is still always that very slight movement to the sound, when i increase above a certain volume. it always seems to be more prominent in the lower freq's. is there something to combat this, maybe slightly oscillating the pitch in a wave that counteracts this movement?
I have pure tuning on, I have tried just one oscillator, i've tried cutting boosting limiting, filtering, altering the phase, adding digital distortion and adding wide distortion, along with countless other ideas I have come up with.
I just can't get it.
any help would be appreciated.