Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 19.10.2006, 05:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to ///AznTi
Default ::: Understanding LFO clock and no LFO clock :::

OK I'm so a newbie in programming sounds and have been using ROMplers for a while. Sorry. But I'm opening my mind to the Ti and I love it. Its amazing. So please take it easy on me if i sound stupid. I'm really not....hehhe I think...lol

But can someone give me a better understanding to LFO clock.

From playing around with it, listening and watching the LEDS, LFO Clock when enabled affects the OSC and how its going to move. So all its really doing is shaping the way the sound plays.

Right?

Also I'm using VC so my Ti should clock to my sequencer....right?

Well reason why I bring this up because I have been having a problem tweaking a bassline that I want to perfect.

ComBassSV.

I have tweaked it and I like the low timbres it gives. However, it just doesnt have the mid punch I'm looking for that makes you feel a bassline. I have tried bringing up Ring Mod, punch, analog intensity, and the EQ mid gain up but still nothing what I want. I so feel like adding a compressor to it but I dont want to conceal the issue. I would rather have the patch sound right then do that.

To me it sounds like the LFO clock isn't set right since default its on 1/16 LFO 1 and LFO 2. I really want the note to sway everytime the note is hit. Every note hit is 1/16 and 1/8 since I want my bassline hits to sound kind of plucked rather than held.

Sorry if this sounds confusing or I sound like a confused student, but its been two days every day after work and its starting to bother the crap out of me.

I need some assistance understanding clock and how it can affect the OSC.

I'll post a clip of my edit later on to give you an idea.

Thanks
Old 19.10.2006, 06:09 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Have you tried playing with the filter section? That is how you are going to get the mid. The filters carve chunks out of the sounds so you won't be able to enhance what isn't there (ie using eq etc...)

Best instead to change the thing that is removing the mid and this is normally the filters.

For a bass you want a Low pass filter and to add mid try playing with the Cut-off at about 50.

Apologies if you already know this, but I would start with the filters...

Drammy
Old 19.10.2006, 06:18 PM

hey Drammy.

No apology needed man Thanks for the tip.

By default the CommbassSV patch is I think (hehe) I'm not in front of my Ti now.

filter attack: 0
filter decay: 10
filter sustain: 0
filter release: 5

So the filter is squashing the hell out of it already.

I understand playing with the filters will allow a certain spectrum of the sound in or out but once I open it up the bassline changes too much and the sound turns into cheese rather than a low mid bassline.

I'm already loving the low section but the thing is I want the mid section to hit me right dead in the middle.

Here is an example a bassline that I just die to achieve. Take a listen.

http://www.djgonzaga.com/Music/insane.mp3

Scroll like 1/4 way through.
Old 19.10.2006, 07:00 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

I am unable to listen to your sample at the moment. But what is the filter cut-off?

You have posted the ASDR values there. Its the cut-off that you should open a bit to let some mid out.
Old 19.10.2006, 07:07 PM

oh dayum. Dude it may be set in the middle if I can recall since cheese was coming through... I will definitely mess with the cut off.

I'm retarded. Hehe

Once I get out of here I'm gonna mess with it more.

Thanks for your help dude.

peace
Old 19.10.2006, 10:30 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Do you have an example (a brief MP3) of your own patch? So we can hear what's cracking off?

The clip you posted, that pumping effect, is achieved later on. Sounds like it's grouped with the drums and has a load of side-chain compression happening.

The bass sounds like it has a lot of filter-envelope automation. Sounds like a slightly choked TB303 type sound. Open up the filter env knob to about 50%, and close down the standard filter-cutoff a touch. Then play with the filter env ADSR, and slowly increase the standard filter cutoff until you hit the frequency range sweet-spot. Add a touch of resonance, and light distortion.
Use sawtooths for the main oscillators.
You might want to use the filters in parallel, with offset filter cutoffs so you can blend two automated filter sounds together.
Old 20.10.2006, 03:09 AM

Hey fellas. Here is the patch i'm working on.
Still needs alot of work. There is no dynamics at all so you're going to have to turn up the volume. Hehe

www.djgonzaga.com/music/bass_clip_01.mp3

Let me know what I can do to this.

But from my own analysis the LFO makes the OSCs get wider after every 2 bars. I noticed this when looking at the audio file.

Also the OSCs are synched and the sub osc is half way up. That filter allowing the patch to hit on the mid top around 3 k is quite annoying. Whenever I try and get rid of that I end up squashing the hell out of everything instead of that higher part. The bottom end needs more and the mid is not even present. I'm just totally lost on this patch. THe only thing I really like is the low part.

Can you guys help a newbie programmer out?

THanks!