Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 14.02.2004, 09:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Damn Timo where the hell did that come from...what made u so pissed off today...did some1 take your loli away from u? Man we were talking about trying new things man, and u went of on things that r'nt new...you have a link to your music? so i can here the amazing originality in your music...
Everything thing has been done b4 the only thing we can do is mix and match ideas and try to make a semi new concept of style...

peace
Blank
Old 14.02.2004, 09:22 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

ok blank no need for fighting
im into trance aswell and it has affended me too
but every man with his own opinion.....
i think trance at the moment is about to blow soon with some original sub style
Old 15.02.2004, 12:51 AM
Administrator

I say that trance is way too self concentrated. No-one doesn't seem to bring anything new to the genre. Everyone is just copying each other. Saying opposite is just deceiving yourself. We just have to face the fact that the "death" of trance is right here right now and no-one is going to do nothing to prevent it. I say that you have to be deaf to say that trance doesn't need anything new. Every time I've encouraged new trance artists to bring up something new to the genre, something fresh and exciting and every time I've got angry response from the "veteran" producers (I don't mean this forum).

I think that's quite sad. I've tried to help this genre over the complete extinction, but all thanks I get is just plain "fuck off" at my face. I'm getting tired. I've tried million times to save it and all I get is agnorance and ignorance. If you think you don't have any trouble, just sit and watch.

It may seem harsh to say that that trance is at its extinction, but take a look at it yourself. You know what I mean. Nothing new, just same old heard-before rubbish.

I see only one way for trance to exist in the future and it's that the trance community finally realise that there's life outside that incest trance community. I really can't take any arguments anymore. Most of the people have seen the problem, but the most "loyal" trancers just deny it even it's obvious that it's true.

I just say that if you feel everything is ok, just sit on your arse and do nothing. If you feel like something's wrong, don't just be there, do something! I'm getting tired to guide you people. You're on your own.
Old 15.02.2004, 11:02 PM
Veteran
Veteran

first off tomer...it did not offend me...I just wanted to state that he was going off topic...and if he wanted to just go off on ppl to bring his sheit to the table...

my personal opinion is that trance is in over abundance...and most ppl r copying others...but that doesnt mean its going to die look at pop...pop music in general has influenced trance music...the over happy over catchy melodies r all over the place...and pop has been around for a damn long time...or rap for instance same sheit just like trance...but its going on its 3rd decade...this doesnt mean its going to die...hell rock has not changed that much...they still use a bass/lead/rythm guitar put a little distortion and play a riff over and over for about 12 phrases and go into the chorus...and do that about 8-12 phrases...playing music faster or slower doesnt make it different...most rock is still based off of blues scales...but why did rock last so long the singer...the "star" of the group...u could have the shitest singer and still make it to the top if your look was in...and i know juho will probably get defensive because im supposedly attacking his music, because most ppl can dish it out and not take it in...but all music is repetitive and all music is quite similar if not the same except for the main genres...and music now adays is not about what u sound like or how talented u r...hell the most talented ppl dont make it in music...i have met quite a few of these artist...you know who makes it in music...the person that can be sold on a poster or a cd cover...u give me a million dollars i could make any1 a star...because its about the look now...not the music...

And this is why trance will die when ppl stop advertising it...but until then...its still out there...and no one knows when its going to die...heck i would be worrying about rock...because rap has been takin rocks tv time...

peace
Blank

now so no one gets the wrong idea...this is not me being defensive...because i agree trance is getting too cloned...but at the same time so is everything out there...and i dont listen to genres of music, i listen to artists i like...
Old 16.02.2004, 10:39 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank
and i dont listen to genres of music, i listen to artists i like...
Very nice statement. Exactly my opinion to...

Personally I think that I'm more into the recording and producing part though. I enjoy the work on the computer, total control of everything, trying out different microphones, different guitar amps etc. Style and genre are just ways to categorise.
It's very easy to categorize a track just within seconds... Ok, this is trance, I f***ing hate this piece of sh**, and then you just turn the thing of. Never giving it a chance just because you've categorized it. Maybe there's some bagpipes or other funny creative things entering later on the track, but very often not. Sad...
Old 16.02.2004, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
and i know juho will probably get defensive because im supposedly attacking his music
Nah. You're right on you posting. The blossoming of rock and it's many different genres is based on heavy recycling. As Blank said that there have been rock music on top for decades but have you noticed that the style of rock changes quite fast. From the 50's to the present time there have been rockabilly/oldschool rock, basic 60's pop/rock, progressive rock, 70's heavy, glam rock, punk, 80's heavy, grunge and death/doom metal, in the early-90's basic pop/rock came back from the dead hard time with British rock bands, heavy came back with a bit more modern sound, numetal came as a side kick for rap, and again there's signs of a return of basic pop/rock bands. Plus in addition to all of those a dozen of other rock styles have been on the background. As we can see there have been much going on in rock scene right from the beginning and the dominating style has changed just before people get really bored to the previous. That's why rock is still alive.

There's also some recycling happening on trance scene, but the problem is that every trance genre is starting to merge into one. I have to disagree a bit on Blank's advertising and money view. Trance is quite big and popular genre on the electronic music scene, but still we can't talk with the same numbers as in current pop music. The advertising is very limited in trance scene when compared to the bigger artists. I've probably seen three or four different tv ad's for trance stuff in few years. That's really puny amount and can't be the only reason for trance to still exist, because still people listen to trance around here. I think the popularity of trance is based on the phenomena that trance has become a part of modern youth culture. This has allowed trance to grow quite big without heavy advertising, but it also means that when the culture changes (as youth culture changes as fast as people change their underwear) and people decide that trance is not in anymose trance is going down with a rumble.
Old 16.02.2004, 12:57 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Thank you Juho, and im sorry for personal smudging but we have history u and

and i agree with what youre saying too...but i think i have to clear up what i meant about the advertising aspect...I agree that you only see a few advertisements for electronica music on tv...but if u notice most of those r for compilation cds...and i agree about it being popular because its seen as part of the youth culture...but i think that it is not on its way out but rather its way in...not to say its life will be long but if u take a few key elements from the past...punk was part of the youth scene and became extremely popular and still is...because its the youth that keeps it alive...and the youth like things because they're cool not because its good...heck i was like that a for a short time when i was younger with punk music...Another example is listen to the music on commericals in the 80's and 90's...rap got its lift from commercials...not necessarily ppl raping but the music that would accompany the artist...now granted there was hard rock in there too...but i remember saying why the hell is all this crap rap on commericals...back b4 i started listening to music with an openmind...and look at things now almost every commerical especially for car companies and movies they have electronica...now i think ppl will get bored of trance but only the trance compilations...they will search out the artist b4 they just drop the genre...and if they dont find anything then they will listen to something else...
companies are just starting to advertise and promote electronic music...and with all the negativity behind raves going on, atleast in the states...the youth will eat it up because they want what adults dont want them to have...the record companies feed ppl in little bits b4 going in for the kill...and they r just getting ppl use to the sound of electronica, putting it in movies, commericals (tv & radio), and some tv shows theme songs...

but i will say i honestly dont want that pop trance to become popular...because i think there is so much more then just that out there...heck im working on my own style right now...its all on paper right now and all i have to do is implement it...

Just as a disclaimer...this is what i have noticed in the states and the US doesnt always go the way the rest of the world goes...Juho can tell u that one
But i think it will either become extremely popular...or something completely out from left field will become popular...can any1 deal with another wave of boy bands

peace
Blank
Old 16.02.2004, 02:55 PM
Administrator

I think trance has already passed its peak point. It's been on "top" for a quite long time and it's starts to be time for it to be replaced by some other genre. Of course there will still be people listening to trance, but it doesn't attract the crowds anymore.

I do agree on that point you had, that entertainment industry is slowly bringin electroic music more on the mainstream. For example there's more and more electronic movie soundtracks. Good examples are Matrix trilogy and Blades. Intentional or not, but those movies have probably already lured many people to electronic music. Cool music in a cool highly youth oriented movie. At this point it's quite hard to say is pure electronic music going to start to dominate the music market, but there are signs that it's going to happen sooner or later. I think that when the breakthrough of electronic music happens, there will be several different genres at one time instead of one random hit genre. Well, let's just wait and see what happens.
Old 16.02.2004, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Blank, Tomer, et al, please don't get me wrong, my outburst wasn't aimed at anyone in this thread (as 'new' is indeed 'good', we're all for it!) but more just as a generalised vent elaborating on some of the earlier points and directions that the thread was taking regards originality.

You mentioned what I said offends you, but it's a point that bloody well offends me, too! I am saying this as a staunch dance-fan and from having loved and enjoyed Trance music for many years. I listen to a wealth of music, from all styles, BPMs, and walks of life, but Dance music will always be my favourite genre.

I hope I can assure you it was certainly not meant as an inflammatory post to the thread author, nor any other contributors here, but merely as a generalisation referring to the current scene and to any other readers here who do happen to perpetuate this ground-hog day cloning, because to me in general, in my view, it's seriously killing Trance.

No matter what people say, Trance has indeed got enough originality and fuel left for a while yet, methinks, but at the expense of the copy-parade it wont have as long as it should, and I feel the fall of trance wont be a respectable or dignified one as a consequence.

But, I guess everybody's trying to hit the same 'high', and it's like drugs (not that I know, though) where you need to hit an even higher 'high' so more and more people join in with making trance thinking they can, but just end up cloning and repeating it because they have no talent or original ideas of their own to do otherwise...

I'll bet we could easily make a computer-program factory production-line to knock out a lot of the carbon-copied trance-music that gets air-play, easily, and unfortunately the label 'Trance' is now been burnt-in with a brand-iron with a mental image of the two-fingered riffs that people now only seem capable of. Binary Finary 1998, yes (what a classic track, still not outdone!), but not still in 2004. Stop trying to hit our heads with the same f*ing hammer!

If anyone reads this thread and as a result consciously stops making those crappy knock-offs and sets about doing something different and fresh to break the mould and formula (read as "iron-clad rut"), then it's not been in vain, but I reckon it needs a miracle to save it further.

Again, I'm not aiming this post at anyone here in particular, but for those chimps who it is, whom actually go the whole hog and release these clones, will know. And I'm not being harsh - They can always actually practise 'playing' (oooh, foreign dirty word, 'practise'), learn, and branch out with more fresher and tastier stuff. People will love you for it!

I apologise profusely for taking this OT.

I'll, er shurrup now, then.

Thnx
Old 16.02.2004, 03:10 PM
Administrator

By the way, my music sounds crud, so I wouldn't dream of inflicting you with it just a while yet Blank.