Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 25.06.2006, 06:35 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Default need help with bass sound designing (french noob inside)

hi everybody !

i'm new to sound designing and i really need some help

in fact , not so long that i own a virus-c , i'm some kind of newbie with synth and i want to design some "big" bass sounds for my d&b tracks

here's the bass sound that i want to recreate :

http://rapidshare.de/files/24096622/labass.wav.html

it will be really cool if someone can explain to me how to do these kind or this bass sound ,

ps : sorry for my bad english , (french inside)

cya guys
Old 26.06.2006, 12:55 AM
This forum member lives here

Cool bass sound! Very evil.....

Im afraid I cant help here, but I just wanted to say "Bonjour!" Someone will be able to help you though, there are some freak synth heads in these parts

Welcome to the forum!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 27.06.2006, 01:26 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

Salut!
Malheureusement je suis pas expert dans les bass pour du dnb mais je suis certain que Hollowcell(un autre membre ici, tr?s dou? lorsque l'on parle de bass!) serait en mesure de t'?clairer un peu.

pour ma part lorsque je veux donner plus de corps ? une bass je commence par faire ma patch de base et je la bounce en .wav. Par la suite le secret de la recette, du moins pour moi c'est de "layerer" diff?rentes versions.

Exemple:

* layer 1 *
je mets un low pass filter afin de retirer les fr?quences qui ne me seront pas utiles(pour du dnb, je suis pas expert mais sachant que les kicks sont g?n?ralement "bandpass?" je m'arrange pour garder la r?gion sub 200hrz.
Ensuite je mets un tr?s court d?lai(? quelques millisecondes ? peine) histoire de rendre le son plus pesant. aussi si t'es en mesure de moduler la dur?e du d?lai cest encore mieux(j'irais pas en haut de 20 ms).

* layer 2 *
Je mets soit un high pass filter + low pass filter ou tout simplement un bandpass et je me donne ? coeur joie dans la distorsion.

* layer 3 *
high pass filter seulement avec p-t un tr?s l?ger flanger qui va chercher que les hautes fr?quences.

--

?galement tu peux regarder du c?t? des bitcrusher.
Concernant le son que tu as post? on voit qui a pas mal de portamento mais c'est vraiment hot comment c'est fait. Soit qu'il a utilis? un LFO pour triggerer une enveloppe ou c'est p-t m?me gat? avec long attack+release.

D?sol? j'aimerais pouvoir mieux aider mais c'est pas mon son habituel
Old 27.06.2006, 04:39 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Any chance of a translation so that the rest of us ignorant English-only speaking members can understand?
Old 27.06.2006, 06:52 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

ha! i have that song somewhere in my collection of musics

good ole drum and bass

i can't remember who it's by tho :/
Old 27.06.2006, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

Quote:
Malheureusement je suis pas expert dans les bass pour du dnb mais je suis certain que Hollowcell(un autre membre ici, tr?s dou? lorsque l'on parle de bass!) serait en mesure de t'?clairer un peu.
I would guess this means something like; The great bassmaster (expert) Hollowcell (and he's a member on this board) will most likely tell you that you can't recreate this sound using a Virus-synthesizer. However this is due to poor programmingskills and do not listen to that crazed out Aussie that just got beaten by italians in football and therefor doesn't get any further in this Worldcup!

And I've spent a year trying to learn french. The only words that I really can is dirty words and questions such as; Would you like to have sex with me? and other usefull comments.

Anyways, Welcome. I betcha that Madstation explained the whole lot to ya how to recreate that sound or something similar!

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 27.06.2006, 08:21 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

303: haha you were pretty close.

Yeah I guess I should have written the post in english

Just got carried away then realized it's much easier to discuss the terminology in english.

Here's a very messy translation:
While I'm no expert when it comes to dnb basses, I'm pretty sure our good friend Hollowcell(another member on here, very good especially when it comes to bass) might be able to help you. Actually here is a direct link to his homepage: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=87078
Have a listen to some of his virus samples, most of them are pretty bass heavy.

First off usually when I want a really loud and aggressive bass sound I first record the sequence to a .wav file. Then I believe it all comes down to layering and a bit of creativity.

Here's a vague example:

* layer 1 *
- low pass filter to get rid of the high end(since dnb mostly have bandpassed kick drums, its fair to assume that the bottom of the bass is located around 50-200hrz.
- Add a tiny bit of delay(only a few ms) to thicken out the timbre. Also if you can modulate the lenght of the delay it gives a nice effect(no more than 20ms or so)

* layer 2 *
-I go back to the original file and either lowpass+highpass or just bandpass with a small Q then rely heavily on distorsion.

* layer 3 *
- For this one I just use a high pass filter since I just want to keep the top freqs then I add a little bit of flanger/phaser in the higher freqs to give the sound a bit of movement but still stand firmly in the mix

----------
Also experiment with bitcrusher type effects. Regarding the sound sample you posted it seems that he used some portamento and it's really great the way this was done. He either used an lfo to trigger enveloppes or a midi gate with long attack+release.

I wish I could help better but since it's not my usual type of sound thats pretty much all I can say