Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 17.02.2016, 09:56 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Default A new Access Virus A owner looking for some pointers

I've just picked up an Access Virus A as it was a pretty unreal deal and difficult to say no! However, until now I have always used soft synths and this is my first venture into hardware synths (even though I know it is ultimately a virtual analogue with a computer of sorts inside).

Anyway, being my first hardware synth and first Virus, I was hoping to be able to find some useful video and advice on fundamentals of usage, how to get around the menu system and functions, and other essential basics before I can begin experimenting. However, as yet I am unable to find anything. I have downloaded the manual from Access Music but I'm much more of a visual learner and finding the manual really difficult to read and understand in parts.

Anyone got advice on how a noob can start learning his way about this synth and get into making music with it?

PS - I will be using it within Ableton and have it set up using a MIDI to USB cable for MIDI in/out signals and using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, running L/R from output 1 on the Virus to channels 1/2 on the interface for stereo recording. That part I have set up and getting the 'musical note' signal on the Virus screen to show it is receiving MIDI and getting audio back into Ableton.

Thanks all in advance and grateful for any pointers you could share!
Old 17.03.2016, 11:51 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
I've just picked up an Access Virus A as it was a pretty unreal deal and difficult to say no! However, until now I have always used soft synths and this is my first venture into hardware synths (even though I know it is ultimately a virtual analogue with a computer of sorts inside).

Anyway, being my first hardware synth and first Virus, I was hoping to be able to find some useful video and advice on fundamentals of usage, how to get around the menu system and functions, and other essential basics before I can begin experimenting. However, as yet I am unable to find anything. I have downloaded the manual from Access Music but I'm much more of a visual learner and finding the manual really difficult to read and understand in parts.

Anyone got advice on how a noob can start learning his way about this synth and get into making music with it?

PS - I will be using it within Ableton and have it set up using a MIDI to USB cable for MIDI in/out signals and using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, running L/R from output 1 on the Virus to channels 1/2 on the interface for stereo recording. That part I have set up and getting the 'musical note' signal on the Virus screen to show it is receiving MIDI and getting audio back into Ableton.

Thanks all in advance and grateful for any pointers you could share!
Im in the same boat (but i got a virus B).
It looks like a desert in terms of video tutorials, I'd say this is due to the classic virus's predating the youtube explosion by some years and their not breaching a critical popularity/sales threshold.
As for using Ableton, how's it working out for you so far? I haven't hooked mine up to Ableton yet, ill try tomorrow. Are you getting MIDI lag/buffer issues? I have with every piece of kit I've ever tried syncing to software.
Old 20.11.2016, 05:33 PM
New here
New here

Thumbs up

I have a C which is very similar to the B series. When I first bought my synth I read the manual and the Howard Scarr - Programming Analogue Synths manual.

You will learn what the functions of each parameter through a very hands on approach as well as how to programm basic sounds. After reading the book, you will learn how to navigate through the virus easily.
I still find this approach to be easier than watching vids which tend to make you want to fast-forward to certain parts.