Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.03.2006, 09:58 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by The girl next door
WATCH OUT Comedian from Norway on the Loose
...well I tried ...and failed

But this one is funny: ROM-Q 31
wanted to turn on my TI to have a quick listening on this patch and got a blue screen the fifth or sixth in two days
http://www.thechildhealthsite.com
Old 22.03.2006, 12:06 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Orange
I have one of the very first TIs to hit the UK, and don't experience anywhere near the scale of problems other people have been reporting.

Mr O
Same here, only in the U.S.
Old 22.03.2006, 11:41 AM

I know I have one of the very first TI's, barely any issues here. It is NOT a hardware issue. Like anything, there may be a couple of odd defects in certain units, but there is no issues between manufacturing runs.

If you are convinced you have a hardware problem, Access woul sort you out right away.

FWIW, there was a recent discussion on the Nuendo forums where users are starting to see that Nuendo is not as close to SX as previously thought. I beleive the thread title was something like "how to achieve proper midi timing" or some such. Might want to take a look at that.
Old 22.03.2006, 08:19 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. orange
Hi Boyler,
I'd say that the first batch of viri have many hardware bugs.
Like Tarekith, I also have what I think was one of the first batch sent to buyers rather than pre-launch testers (received mine Oct 3rd last year).

I seem to suffer less frequent problems than many are posting, though I've seen just about every issue at some time or other, not to the extent that it stops me from using it productively most of the time - and thats with or without VC, and syncd from all sort of different devices.
Quality of the sync source does seem to be the one variable that corresponds to have realiable the TI is on any given day. Most of the time its OK with a good sync source.
Old 22.03.2006, 11:17 PM
Pro
Pro

Khazul, if you mean Midy sync, I absolutely agree with you! Sync it to an external device ot itself and the arp issues are gone. however this way, it's quite complicated to have a project with varying tempo...

I don't think a stable sync via USB1.1 is possible, it's the nature of USB1.1 to have unpredictable dropouts and varying latency... how should the hardware know whether there's more latency or a change in tempo? IMHO that's the problem...

They have chosen USB1.1 in order to save money, now, it's a bottomless pit
http://www.thechildhealthsite.com
Old 22.03.2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. orange
Khazul, if you mean Midy sync, I absolutely agree with you! Sync it to an external device ot itself and the arp issues are gone. however this way, it's quite complicated to have a project with varying tempo...

I don't think a stable sync via USB1.1 is possible, it's the nature of USB1.1 to have unpredictable dropouts and varying latency... how should the hardware know whether there's more latency or a change in tempo? IMHO that's the problem...

They have chosen USB1.1 in order to save money, now, it's a bottomless pit
I dont beleive it was specifically to save money. The audio industry is awash with companies who got into trouble at first attempt at writing USB audio drivers and failing miserably. I *beleive* that Access actually bought a known working driver and chip set from another company, and hence the choice of USB1.1. For USB2 they probably would have had to go it alone - which is very high risk and most companies fail miserably on first attempt not realising how hard it is to get a good driver for PC and MAc written first time around.

My personal opinion of the TI->VC audio channel is that its probably one of the most relaible USB audio implementations I have ever come across, allthough I think the latency is unreasonably high (maybe that was the other price of reliability).

From the above you can guess I have absolutely zero problems with the USB driver (as separate from VC). Not helpful tto you I know - I beleive you had a few BSDs? I cant speak for the ASIO implementation as I have never used it as I use a multi-channel firewire audio interface instead.

BTW - Its well worth having a good look around the kind of stuff you have running on your PC - I have had alot of problems in the past with audio caused by the most unlikely applications - especially sys tray apps.

If in doubt - dont let anything none essential apps that didnt ship with the OS (Mac or PC) auto-start. Most stuff that ships with the OS tends to be well behaved. Alot of other stuff isnt. I know especially of a number of people who have had serious audio problems with printer utilities in the sys tray on WinXP (why printer apps ffs??).

On sync - I mean sync either via hardwrae MIDI, or from the DAW application via VC. People with high quality audio cards and sync sources seem to fair better. Where the audio card comes in is that many applications use the audio clock as their reference souce for generating all application audio and midi timing (instead of using system clocks for midi timing). If you are getting the odd audio pop, then something is getting in the way of audio processing - that will also impact midi clock (depending on the App), and so I belive destabilise the TI.

Thats not saying their isnt a problem in the TI clock thats causing it to crash - I think their is - but with this chain of events, I can so easily see how the TI coulod get through internal testing and use by a bunch of beta testers prior to launch in high end studio and never or very rarely hit the issues users are seeing now.
Old 23.03.2006, 04:26 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

I also recieved one at launch. I do have some of the same problems but not all. taking into consideration that there is a buttload of different audio cards and drivers out there. some drivers work better than others. as in productivity all is well. nothing I cant find a work around for. some bugs are more irratating then others.

1. hangin notes. this one is a new one for me so access must be doing some work on the OS's cuz I didnt have this problem in 1.07 and earlier (I fix this by reseting the audio card in device/device setup/VST Audiobay/reset). It seems this bug only occurs with a moderate amount of filter envelope time/slope and release on some patches. not all patches have this problem.

2. arp is always out of sync. I usually work around by making arps manual. ya its a bit more work but eh.

3. delay timing is also a big issue with me and if the delay on the virus if set over 50% it starts to lose sync.

also in 1.09 my leds intermitantly blink on occasion.

kinda ironic for access though. catch 22 on their hands. the public gets mad if not released on time but when released buggy, the public bitches about non working synth. me I could say I float in both those boats. well people you asked for it and we got it. I know I am grateful to use a great synth and a good idea in the making. you know how long ive been waiting for digital export from hardware via sequencer and that works like a vsti? to long. I only use the virus TI and the occasional jp 8080 in my production and successfully exported material. cmon 1.1!
Old 23.03.2006, 12:15 PM

Khazul, probably done this already, but you did change the TI's driver latency to a lower value right? The default latency of the TI driver IS VERY HIGH, but once you set it to a lower value in SX's Device settings, it shoudl be fine. I can run mine at like 12ms or less with no issues. Seems to work better at lower latencies actually.

We can discuss over a Steak if you want....
Old 23.03.2006, 04:14 PM

Yeh - sounds cool - Ill jump on a plane
Old 23.03.2006, 04:17 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Yeh - sounds cool - Ill jump on a plane
Easyjet don't go to Chicago