Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 05.10.2009, 01:34 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default What a weekend for my TI

so I was preparing to play manhunt and as i was sitting down i sloshed some of my cup of water onto the front panel of the ti.
swearing and cursing, i grabbed a towel, and began to wipe down the front, and get as much as possible from the underside of the knobs.
I saw a couple dribbles begin to slowly cascade their way down the right side of my part selector, and I panicked. I decided that it was time for TI open heart surgery.
I began to deconstruct the monster, carefully organizing the screws. Needless to say, I took it apart and put it back together with ease, and my TI is humming happily.
I did however, hit a snag while taking my TI apart.
I got the backbone off, and most of the mainboard, but something was still keeping the mainboard in place, and I didn't want to just start ripping the knobs or any pieces of the mainboard out.
So does anyone know how to proceed that has opened their TI before?

I took a picture:
Old 05.10.2009, 05:25 AM
Pro
Pro

ooh a naked TI - should this not be sensored - I am sure this is of a adult nature

Glad you managed to fix it and it's not nuked due to the coffee - lesson learnt? It's all to common - place liquids and elextrics dont mix!

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 06.10.2009, 09:41 AM
Complete Newbie

where's its brain??
Old 06.10.2009, 03:33 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneynclan View Post
so I was preparing to play manhunt and as i was sitting down i sloshed some of my cup of water onto the front panel of the ti.
swearing and cursing, i grabbed a towel, and began to wipe down the front, and get as much as possible from the underside of the knobs.
I saw a couple dribbles begin to slowly cascade their way down the right side of my part selector, and I panicked. I decided that it was time for TI open heart surgery.
I began to deconstruct the monster, carefully organizing the screws. Needless to say, I took it apart and put it back together with ease, and my TI is humming happily.
I did however, hit a snag while taking my TI apart.
I got the backbone off, and most of the mainboard, but something was still keeping the mainboard in place, and I didn't want to just start ripping the knobs or any pieces of the mainboard out.
So does anyone know how to proceed that has opened their TI before?
Hi there, good thing it was water and not coffee/tea/coke-cola, etc.. If an electrical product has water all over it it literally doesn't matter so long as it's not switched on. The limitation to this is that it has to be absolutely bone dry - literally on a microscopic level - before it's ever switched on again. Sometimes it takes up to a week or ten days to gently dry out in a dry, warm environment, given all the microscopic little nooks and crannies, or if water somehow got into a component internally (like an LCD display) which takes a while to dry out. Another limitation is that unpurified water (such as tap water) has scale and various chemicals in it, but it's fine if it wasn't like fully immersed in it.

Coke-cola and tea/coffee, on the other hand, is deadly for electronics - burns/erodes the circuits like acid - so in these cases it's essential to get in there and dry it as quickly as you can using paper towels to mop up the excess ASAP.

Ok, back to the TI, yes you need to remove the knobs if you wish to separate the fascia from the motherboard in order to get to it. The knobs simply slide off when pulled, they're only gripped by friction... Just pull them off with your hand, one at a time. It wont make them any looser by doing so. They snuggly fit back on when you come to do so.
You will also need to remove the screws on the back plate, where all the jack sockets are, as these secure the motherboard to the backplate.

As an idea of what to do to get at all the circuit boards, including screws etc., you may wish to take a look at the Virus Surgery walkthrough I made when I was re-potting some of the knobs on my Indigo's motherboard. Shows every step. Shouldn't be all too much different to the TI, I think. I did have to literally unscrew every screw, and of course the all knobs had to be removed.

http://infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=31443

Hope this helps.
Old 06.10.2009, 11:58 PM
Complete Newbie

yah it does help alot actually.
after opening my ti, i decided to open my jp as well.
now i'm interested in getting a soldering gun, and doing some design of my own on some old keyboards.