Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 26.03.2008, 01:22 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default A Great MIDI Editor/Librarian for XP...

Hey there synth junkies,

I just ordered MIDI Quest 10 XL, an awesome MIDI editor/librarian for Windows XP (also supports Mac, BTW). The full blown version is $399/$369 for download. Did I mention they offer a 50% student discount if you can provide a current copy of your student ID in JPEG format? School paid off before you graduated...thank me when you're famous.

You can get Uniquest 9 (no VST host integration) for a single synth for $99 (and then upgrade later if you like) or MIDI Quest 10 (no VST host integration) for $249-$279 (download/hardcopy).

Please note, SoundQuest offers a download demo; alos, product info is copied below if you're interested in reading more...

From the product page:
"Welcome to the world of Midi Quest 10 XL. With Midi Quest 10 XL, all of those great features that you have for your soft-synths are now available for your hardware synths and effects. Imagine being able to integrate all of your MIDI hardware into your digital audio sequencer and using it the same way you use your soft-synths. With Midi Quest XL, you can.

Midi Quest XL features its own VST, Studio Connections, and MFX plug-in versions that integrate virtual versions of your hardware into your sequencer. Your MIDI synthesizer or effect unit still creates all of the sound but you create a virtual version of the instrument's interface and integrate it right into your sequencer. After installation, you can audition sounds, organize a bank, edit a patch, record sound changes into a sequence, or do just about anything else that you would do with a soft-synth. You get all of the advantages of working on the computer without sacrificing that great hardware sound. Everything is handled from the comfort of your computer screen and in the digital audio sequencer of your choice. When you're done, all of your settings are saved with your song for immediate recall, just like a soft-synth.

Not only does Midi Quest XL make it easier to use your synth or effect hardware within your studio and sequencer software. Midi Quest XL makes it easier, much easier, to work with your MIDI hardware. Period."

Check out the main product page here:
https://vp3.netgate.net/~squest/Wind...est-About.html

Check out the features here:
https://vp3.netgate.net/~squest/Wind...0Features.html

For 650 Supported Synths/Drum Machines/FX:
https://vp3.netgate.net/~squest/Wind...struments.html

Cheers,

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 27.03.2008, 08:27 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I also have MQ10XL. I have found that it has really worked to my expectations as a VST or standalone app. I'm running on a Mac and after alot of deliberation which the developers, I simple gave up.
Simple SysEx dumping seems to work quite fine.
Since this app reminder, I might just ressurrect the app and try again. Hopefully I can retract my comment.
Old 28.03.2008, 01:11 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Wow, there's a twist. I have not had an opportunity to mess with 10XL yet, too busy for another week or so, which is OK because I will be gutting/reconfiguring EVERYTHING once final exams are over, new DAW desk and all.

I've gotten by with SYSex dumps too for a while but I've always wanted to mess with a tool that offered librarian functions (OK, I'm a former document management techie, happy? I admitted it!) It's always been a real pain (for me anyways) to not be able to logically organize my multitudinous banks of presets for my synths just for the sake of having a decent library to compose with at my fingertips. Maybe its just my OCD kicking in, but it seem like a good idea.

Also, I hate having to dial in the various sounds on my 4 hardware synths every time I open up a track in my sequencer. I jot down notes in a .txt document in each song's directory to make it easy but its still a pain in the arse compared to calling it all up by default from within the VST host.

Anyhoo, I'll post a better review once class is over.

Best of luck to yez, whatever you're using for MIDI dumps and what not!

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 04.04.2008, 05:17 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Unhappy

Man, I got so excited seeing the Andromeda A6 on the supported list but it is only a librarian for it. Bummer. I think I will look at MQ again around version 11 and hopefully they will have a full editing panel for the Andromeda by then.
Synths can be like women. After the initial few months of intense love-making, things become routine, banal. Once the deepest recesses have been probed, new specimens begin to attract the eye, bursting with promise of unique treasures to uncover. --Doof
__
Alesis Andromeda A6, Roland SH-101, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha FS1R, Yamaha SY85, Alesis Micron, Kurzweil K2000VP, Roland GR700+G707