Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 09.10.2005, 08:03 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

there is 1 more thing that doing it ...and yes u kick must be in mono and not stereo for best sound...
go to project setup in cubase and remove the -3db pan option...

this should make ur mono kick sound good and no clips ..and also show u the right lvls in master...
Old 09.10.2005, 08:44 AM
Veteran
Veteran

There is nothing wrong with clipping a channel in VST. Only clipping the master outs will you hear a distortion. This is because of the 32bit mixing engine. The reason for the disparency is because of the panning law, which you should leave at -6 or -3 and not 0 because pans sound better when the volume is brought down as it passes through the middle. It just sounds better and more 'hardware like'.
Another example of the good thing about the 32 bit mixing engine is if you have many loud channels all going into a bus. When the buss clips you could go and turn down all the channels or just lower the buss until there is no more clipping.
Old 09.10.2005, 11:12 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs
The reason for the disparency is because of the panning law, which you should leave at -6 or -3 and not 0 because pans sound better when the volume is brought down as it passes through the middle. It just sounds better and more 'hardware like'.
Thats interesting!

So even with kicks, snares etc, you always pan them slightly off centre???

Surely that would sound a little strange??? Especially if your monitoring is set up properly.

Is this SX specific or software sequencers in general?

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 09.10.2005, 11:24 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I never said pan your kiks or snare off center, I was just pointing out the 'panning law' in cubase and the point about not worring about channel clips only watch the output buss clips.
Old 09.10.2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs
I never said pan your kiks or snare off center, I was just pointing out the 'panning law' in cubase and the point about not worring about channel clips only watch the output buss clips.
Woah! I certainly missed the point in that one...

Sorry dude, It's sunday night, just smoked a fat one and Im obviously not in any state to be posting

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 09.10.2005, 11:36 AM
Veteran
Veteran

This is true inside 32bit mixing apps. Nuendo and Cubase are some of them, also my Scope ver4 mixer by Creamware has 32bit mixer. Also my RME total mix is a 40bit mixer. I havent tried it but Sonar I think has a 64bit mix buss (hmm, could be bothered googling it while typing here).

One day I made a sine wave in wavelab that was 100% big ie it touched but not clipped 0 and put it though a fader in VST and tried all these things even bussing it to group tracks and various routings in RME total mix. Just to know what clips to worry about and what not to.
Basically you've got 6db to play with inside an app but not when it leaves an app. Also you could bounce a clipping file to disk at 32bit load it back in turn it down 6db and the the clipping was gone with no distortion. 32bit remembers 6db louder than 0.

mind numbing isnt it?
Old 11.10.2005, 08:07 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

DOOD the panning law is for amatures do not use them if u like make it more plaind space in ur mix do it ur self and never rely on some spoftware pan to do it for u...
and dont tell me that u use it in master as well.
8O 8O