Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 19.05.2014, 10:50 PM
New here
New here

Default TI Polar: MIDI out channel

Hi Infekted,

When I use my Virus as a keyboard MIDI controller for some external gear (in that case an Octatrack), in multi mode, the MIDI channel on which the Virus sends notes on/off changes depending of the part being active.

I'd like it to be fixed. Is there a way to do so?

For those who will ask why: because I use the Octatrack as a MIDI sequencer for the Virus, and I want to use the Virus keyboard as an easier way to record notes and melodies into the Octatrack. The way the Octatrack works, I need to have sent to it on only one channel (even if I'm working on a multi).
I'm trying to have both boxes working like a Korg EMX, but... slighly more powerful

Thanks!
Old 20.05.2014, 03:03 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Not sure I got what you're trying to do...

You can have all parts set to the same midi channel, you can differentiate between the parts choosing it's keyboard range (same thing as keyboard split).

So this way a single channel sent to the Virus would differentiate between the parts with nothing more then notes. Same thing, presumably (imo) is possible to configure on the Octatrack to.
Old 20.05.2014, 08:07 AM
New here
New here

edit: nevermind, I think someone had the same issue 3 years ago and found an interesting hack: http://www.infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=33055

I'll try that tonight when I'm back from work
Old 20.05.2014, 05:22 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Let us know how it turned out. Looks like you need to disable auto channel function on the Octatrack and then it will be ok.

But take your time and don't dismiss what I've said entirely: it's actually cool to assign different key regions to different parts and using a single midi channel to trigger them. You can make it act as a drum machine this way, for example.
Old 22.05.2014, 04:11 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Let us know how it turned out.
It works.
Auto-channel on the OT set to 16, activate part 16 on the Virus and when I play the Virus keyboard it will play the part currently selected in the Octatrack... It's weird but it works
Old 23.05.2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran
Veteran

as long as it works, no problems with weirdness!

now, that that's sorted. how do you go about music production? The Octatrack kind of reminds me of older workstations or hardware samplers (like the MPC), that people used to do all (or most of) their composing on. just curious. cheers
Old 23.05.2014, 11:36 AM
New here
New here

The Octatrack is basically a MPC with xox sequencing, and a much deeper sample manipulation capabilities, with a workflow optimized for live performance. The MPC is perfect for sampling instruments and playing back the samples, but the Octatrack takes it to another level. Every audio track basically works like a monophonic synth voice whose oscillator is your sample... It's hard to explain, but it's really powerful and the integration with the onboard sequencer makes it even deeper.

As long as your music is somehow based on loops (it doesn't quite work as a linear sequencer) and you like to work with hardware stuff, it's a fantastic workstation and it can really replace a computer in a studio. There's a learning curve however, but if you can deal with the complexity of a Virus... you should be fine ha ha