Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 21.10.2007, 11:02 PM
New here
New here

Default I'm am sure this is silly..

But for some reason, I am having trouble trying to mimic a bass sound [Icon of Coil's Thrillcapsule, the newer version]

For some reason, I can never really get the edgy feel of it [Yet for some reason, I can easily get more driven basses in seems on my Microkorg..?]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Jp-nodrmXo
Thats the only clip I can offer [sorry!], it picks up somewhere at about 1:11ish.

Its probably something simply and I am sure I'll figure it out in a bit [I just haven't had a lot of time to get use to my indigo yet stupid school grr]

But if anyone wouldn't mind listening and offering a bit of help, I'd be very appreciative! Thanks a bunch.
Old 23.10.2007, 10:57 PM
New here
New here

I have a simple solution for you.

Just download the Icon of Coil signature soundset for the Indigo here ...

http://www.access-music.de/downloads...roduct=indigo2

Scroll down about halfway through the soundsets. You cant miss it.

That bass sound is there, along with a lot of electro, industrial, EBM stuff programmed by the Icon guys.

these are fun to tweak, too.
Old 24.10.2007, 08:08 PM
New here
New here

Yes, thanks, I had known of that.

My midi setup at the moment is a little defunkt though, so I can't do a nice lil' dump. And I wasn't too sure if that would be included in there, though.

I plan to grab that, along with others, when I get my midi setup working.
Old 25.10.2007, 01:17 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

My MIDI setup is simple as hell for my KC.

I use a M-Audio MIDI_Sport Uno (USB -> MIDI In+MIDI Out) on my PC, and Windows Media Player (recommended by Access) to load MIDI sets into my Virus.

The ICOC set is bad ass. I've enjoyed the hell out of that one.

Is your MIDI interface kaput or your DAW?

Good luck!

ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 25.10.2007, 06:01 AM
New here
New here

I actually have the same M-Audio MIDI USB Uno you have there.

It could be Vista? It worked fine on my old computer, which had XP,[which IS dead, unfortunately] with my microkorg and electribe transmitting and receiving MIDI as well as dumps.

I didn't know you could use WMP to do midi dumps? I use acid pro as my main sequencer, simply cause I started with it and am familiar with it, but it seems kind of shaky from time to time with midi.

Maybe I'll try to reinstall my midi driver again and give another crack at it tomorrow or next week [ive a show on Sat. and no real time]

Just out of curiosity, and maybe it will help me, but could you PM me a slightly more elaborate midi setup you have, Alex? I hate working with midi, and if we have similar setups, perhaps something that requires 10 minutes of tinkering around can be achieved as opposed to 2hrs of a hassle for naught.
Old 25.10.2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Hey S.AM[SM],

Allow me to clarify one detail from earlier regarding the following:

Quote:
"I didn't know you could use WMP to do midi dumps?"
It is possible to LOAD banks from your PC to your Virus via WMP, but not possible to DUMP banks/patches to WMP.

Sorry if that was confusing.

I'm not that fond of working with MIDI either but it is a necessary evil.

As far as dumps are concerned my next strategy is to buy the Rekon VST patch editer as that way it is possible to store your Virus sounds in your tracks, and have access to all controls while programming. I use Tracktion 2 and it can't perform MIDI dumps like Cubase, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

If I think about it, I don't have much need for dumping a whole bank at this point. I just loaded my Virus up with a crapload of banks from the Access site. If I can select the presets I want to use/twek and hold them in each track with Rekon, then I'm good. Even if I dump the bank I think the patch is still in the track in Rekon. I'll have to check it out in more detail this weekend.

I'll send you a note as sooon as I have a few minutes to sit down and chart out a simple diagram and a summary.

Cheers,

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 26.10.2007, 01:11 PM
New here
New here

That would be appreciated, thanks.

I have the M-Audio drivers finally working, it had to take several tries though..[stupid vista]. But I am not sure how you load via WMP. Its probably something simple and I'll say, when it is said, "Oh. Man, I feel like an idiot."
Old 27.10.2007, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Hey there,

In WinXP, the first thing to do is go to Control Panel->Sounds&Audio Devices

Then make sure that your MIDIsport UNO is selected as your MIDI playback device for Windows.

Not sure if that's the same in Vista though. I have a Vista machine too but I am migrating VERY slowly.

Once that is done, you simply connect your "To MIDI In" cable of the MS Uno to the MIDI In port of your Virus, then open the bank you wish to load into the synth with Windows Media Player and see what happens.

Your virus should blink and indicate it is loading, if the control panel on the Virus says "Don't Touch Me!" that is a good thing as it is receiving the MIDI sysex data from your PC.

I hope this helps, good luck!

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 27.10.2007, 02:42 AM
New here
New here

Haha, wow, yep. My assumption was correct, and here I shall say, "I am an idiot"

I got it, thanks a bunch, Alex.

Now I am uploading patches while my girlfriend watches "Knocked Up" with a silly look when looking at me.
Old 27.10.2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.AM[SM] View Post
Haha, wow, yep. My assumption was correct, and here I shall say, "I am an idiot"

I got it, thanks a bunch, Alex.

Now I am uploading patches while my girlfriend watches "Knocked Up" with a silly look when looking at me.
Each and every day I commit "ID10T Errors."

You are not alone!

Glad your rig is behaving now, have fun!

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile