Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 16.07.2013, 02:03 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Problems getting parts for the Virus?

I've seen a lot of folks having problems with aging Virus hardware.

Those of you that have had something go wrong with the hardware, what has it been like getting parts for your synth? I'm interested in understading part availability as it applies to both current (TI) models and older models.

What do you do if something breaks? Are there third party part sources available if Kemper goes belly up or gives up on the Virus?

Wondering because it may impact what I buy.

Thanks.
Old 27.07.2013, 10:15 AM
Pro
Pro

That's a very pragmatic approach but it seems love of a given instrument often outweighs whether a smaller synth company may go belly-up. Experience with this is quite actualized by owners of previous incarnation of Waldorf Synths; some of the best and deepest synths were made then and what keeps Waldorfians with hardware/software issues afloat is a tight community such as we have here because in Waldorf's particular situation, due to details of that previous bankruptcy, intellectual property of those great instruments went the way of those no longer employed and whatever they retain in their synapses to share and help, sans any help from new Waldorf-Music.de

I am interested in what, if any, Access Music will release next and if lessons learned with two versions of Ti line are actualized in a bug-free integration OR something completely new and innovative. DSI Prophet 12 is probably only thing remotely coming close to the Virus without Total Integration, but it certainly has very interesting architecture as well as most versatile LFO's in hardware currently. I am betting that Mr. Kemper is working on something rather new and this re-release of Dark Star TI2 may be to raise more resources for same...only speculation!
Old 27.07.2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
That's a very pragmatic approach but it seems love of a given instrument often outweighs whether a smaller synth company may go belly-up.
I think whether the company remains in business is less important than whether you can get parts for it later on. Lots of synths get discontinued a year or two after introduction, but the Virus line has had a remarkably lengthy run, so it would seem a real shame if parts cannot be obtained. I guess mileage varies, but to me the allure or love for a vintage synth goes out the window once its got a couple of teeth missing.
Old 27.07.2013, 04:44 PM
Pro
Pro

It's actually humorous what can be categorized as "vintage" these days. Have read where people refer to our Virus KB and Virus KC, both, circa 2002 with the former ceasing production same year the latter was released. That's only 11 years. The same "mileage" is on both my Waldorf Q and XT and incidentally, no missing teeth!
My car is a 2003, but at least in the States, a given vehicle is not considered officially a "Classic" (same as vintage) until 20 years of age and above.

In any case, it seems that you have a great point because there was a certain synth by Korg that they abruptly discontinued only a couple years ago but still sell the 61 key version of it and even with Korg being one of so-called 'big three', they ceased even having spare parts available. Recently talked to a fellow Waldorf Q owner that he had same trepidation you expressed and upon ordering his Q Keyboard, also ordered extra replacement encoders and a main board because he toured at that time but could not justify close to three grand for a 'back-up synth' and he happens to be great with soldering iron. Two years later Waldorf had gone bankrupt. However, he has never yet needed to replace an encoder or anything else. It's almost like today's manufacturing has "planned obsolesce", yet have to say the Virus and other German synths I tweak are built incredibly well.
Old 27.07.2013, 07:30 PM

It seems like there should be a part aftermarket here to cover the gaps after the original is discontinued or vendor goes out of business.

Maybe with the increasing popularity of 3D printing, people will start constructing their own keys and knobs for synths!

I know Rob Lee didn't like the blue color of the Ultranova, so he sent his two boards off somewhere to get one refinished in white and the other in black. They looked like a factory job, all original printing reproduced perfectly. I found a pic of the black one, couldn't find the white:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...ps683e43be.png

UPDATE:
Was able to scurry up the pic of the white one after I posted that : http://i.imgur.com/u0ZQnT2.jpg