Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 18.03.2009, 12:39 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default Cubase Tutorial for recording arp notes?

Hi guys. Wondering if someone could be so kind as to write me up a quick tutorial on properly recording arp notes in Cubase 4.5.2 from my Ti. I am not getting the results I feel I should.

Here is what I am doing:

1.) Setting up a Midi channel to communicate with the Virus via VC. I set my input as my Novation SL controller, and set the output to the Virus Ti entry in my outputs listing. No problem. I am play notes and record notes as should.

2.) I created a second midi channel, gave it the same midi channel number as the main midi channel in point number 1, and set the midi input to Virus Ti Synth. I am unsure what to set the output to as the results are the same regardless of what I set it to.

What should the output be if the input is set to Virus Ti Synth?

3.) I select a patch with a pre programmed arp, hit the config button on the front of the Virus, and set the Arp Note Send parameter to ON. (Would be really nice if there was an option to toggle this function from within the arp page of VC itself HINT HINT ).

4.) I select both midi channels to record at the same time. I do get the midi notes recorded in the first midi track, and what appears to be the arp notes recorded in the second track. No problem there. I just recorded a basic single note being held down for a few seconds. On the first midi track I have C3 for instance being drawn across my piano roll. It plays back how it sounded when I recorded it.

Here is where I am having trouble. I am assuming the arp notes that were recorded are the actual notes that are used to make up the arp itself on the patch I selected. If I erase the midi note recording, and simply move the arp note recording to where the midi note recording was, it plays back nothing like how it sounded when I recorded it. I assumed it would play back sounding the same as if the patch was played from the Ti directly, as the arp notes itself are what make up what I am hearing when I am playing the arped patch. Why does it not? It sounds very broken up, stuttery, like a train wreck. Nothing like the patch itself. I was really disappointed with this. I have no desire to record 10 seconds of a single note being held down, so instead, I desire to record the arp notes so I could really fine tune and edit the arp by moving the individually recorded notes around in my sequencer. If it doesn't play back after recording in this manner how it sounds when I play it from the Ti itself, what use is it? I had high hopes to record the Arp notes, then apply that midi track containing the arp notes to say a Vsti so that I could have both the Ti and VSTi playing back the exact same arp, however, on two different patches.

Am I right in the way I am thinking? Am I setting things up right? Surely something must be missing my logic, understanding and implementation of this feature.

If anyone can sort me out with some answers, or a better guide on how to record arp notes, I would be very grateful.

I was simply using the USB cable for all this. I had an actual midi cable connected at one point, but found it did nothing different from the above mentionings, so I unplugged it and am now using the USB cable only. If this is a problem, please let me know!

Thanks for reading. I look very forward to hearing a response.

Andrew
Old 19.03.2009, 09:38 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

no one has anything to say about this? Surely someone has dumped their arp notes in the past and know what to expect from doing so. I would appreciate someone throwing me a bone, I would do the same if I could answer a question one of you were asking.

Thanks.
Old 20.03.2009, 05:35 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Got it sorted thanks to Joerg at Access.
Old 21.03.2009, 07:42 AM
Infektion taking hold...

It would be helpful if you could maybe do a small tutorial on how you achieved this for people who stumble upon this in the future or for those who do not know
Old 21.03.2009, 12:51 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

This was exactly what I was asking in my first post. After nearly 40 views and zero effort being put in to wanting to sort me with an answer, I went to Access themselvesr. Something I should have done from the beginning.

Regardless, everything I had was 100% correct in terms of my setup from the first post. The only problem was on my end, where I wasn't turning the arp off in the patch itself before triggering the patch with the newly dumped arped notes. It was sounding like a train wreck because essentially the arps were fighting against each other with the arp still being enabled on the patch itself, while also being triggered by the dumped notes. The moment I disabled the arp from the patch itself, and relied solely on the dumped notes to play back the arp, all was gravy.
Old 21.03.2009, 02:44 PM
Infektion taking hold...

I understand your frustration man, I never knew this was possible until your post so thank you for this. Funny how something so small and simple seems to always be the biggest problem
Old 21.03.2009, 03:55 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Hey np, if you got something out out of it then great! Enjoy your new found tweak!
Old 24.03.2009, 03:03 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Just another bit if info regarding recording arp notes. This function can only take place on odd part numbered channels, it will not work on even numbered parts. I emailed Access about this and they said it is a technical limitation of the Ti and that is how it is suppose to work.

Strange.
Old 24.03.2009, 11:50 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Weird. So it won't work if you try to use it as patch (and midi channel) 2, 4, 6, etc?

-Annikk
Old 24.03.2009, 12:40 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikk.exe View Post
Weird. So it won't work if you try to use it as patch (and midi channel) 2, 4, 6, etc?

-Annikk
Unfortunately no. You can play any part with an arp, but can only record via arp note send on odd channel numbers. Joerg at Access confirmed this.