Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 09.10.2007, 03:07 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default creating dark atmosphears

I had a go at making a few pads on the virus TI and OMG i didnt realise how crap i am at making them on it. On softsynths that i got im good but on the TI for some reason im crap. how would you go about getting a nice cold dark scary atmosphear going?
Old 11.10.2007, 03:01 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Gary_Munday

It's not a case of being crap at all. In fact, quite the opposite. It's just a case of learning how to use the virus and how it differs to other synths you have used.
With that said, you need to look for the characteristics of what dark atmospheres are all about. Typically, this is down to personal taste and opinion--so it's quite an open ended subject.

The virus is not a great hardware synth to start on due to the large number of hidden features which can appear to confuse you. You will learn it in no time, though. That said, what you need to do is look for the basic properties of the sound first.

With dark atmospheres, you obviously want to portray something very deep and thick sounding. The way that dark sounds are played equally contributes to how the sound is portrayed. Some pads are far too glittery and weak in this department(perfect for other apps but not dark). A basic example - use a couple of saws mixed with a thick sounding waveform or something to thicken it up etc. Introduce a sub oscillator to around the 1-3 mark. Detune the balance (but not excessively) of both oscillators.

Try experimenting with the LFO's to add some wobble. You don't need much in terms of modulation matrix right now. When I program these kinds of pads, I never modify ADSR much. Attack stays at 0 so this is a different kind of pad (instantaneous in nature) - maybe modify the release a little if you like. Next, you don't need to do much to the filters. Make sure resonance stays to 0 to ensure a flat and thick sound.

Tweak the cutoff to around half way to start with. Env amount should be modified with personal taste in mind. Next add effects - maybe a bit of phaser and chorus, but reverb is important for helping the atmosphere. Now for the magic unison >> take it up to about 3-4 (pointless for most/nearly all pads) but it really worked for me. The end result is to get something sounding deep, dark - but very smooth. Filters can have a big impact, though - and might make it sound warm even. Be careful here.

That's just the most basic 'characteristic' example (but not the whole thing) -- use it as an idea if you want. I do have a few pads here that I programmed with these few sound properties -- if you like, I can upload a demo sometime soon?
Old 18.10.2007, 08:39 AM
Very mucho Newbie

i had a go at this but it not the sort im after, im after more dark reverbed silence very deep wind wisper, the sort from from calyx and teebee, if you know what i mean?
Old 18.10.2007, 12:47 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Gary_Munday

No problem. I think I know what you mean, can you try and get me an mp3 demo though?
There are so many choices to create these, it's impossible to stick to one way of programming. When I get my recording gear setup next, I'll bung a few of my own on there for you to take a listen to. If you hear anything you like, perhaps you might want me to upload the patch?
up2you though.
Old 23.10.2007, 01:59 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Default atmos

Hi, i upload some but the only problem is anyone know of any sites where i can store the files?a couple of site do but they onlydo it for like 21 days max and this is quie a slow going forum so im not sure if you would get the files in 21 days? can anyone help?
Old 13.03.2009, 01:52 PM
New here
New here

Calyx and Teebee are the Foshizal! lol! They're a big part of why I love dnb, however, now I'm leaning on sounds from Sabre, Alix Perez, Icicle, Logistics, Nu-Tone, Survival, ect. ect. Love liquid.

If you still wanna make Heavy Tracks like Calyx and Teebee I would sugest picking up Massive from Native Instruments. Their Envelopes and Lfo's pretty much is the whole reason for those super dirty filthy basslines that move all over the place and just cannot be done on the virus.

The only bad thing about Massive is that you can't import anything into it at all!