Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 11.07.2004, 02:01 PM

Default My virus has a split personality

I'm starting to get really afraid of my indigo II .

After startup it works fine for a time, but then it can cut off all notes playing, turning them to a beep or a loud noise... it's like it gets a hang up, 'cause I have to restart it. It really frightens me, but I'm not sure if I'm pushing it too hard by playing too many notes at a time or if it's defective. It happens all the time in multi-mode, but only sometimes in single-mode. It just doesn't seem like a normal behavior, even if you have panic-buttons on the panel.

So what should I do about it?
Old 11.07.2004, 05:41 PM
Veteran
Veteran

What version of the OS are you running, Jade?
Old 12.07.2004, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
What version of the OS are you running, Jade?
V.6.5... But I'm not sure if that would be the problem. What I can remember it's been like this on earlier versions.
Old 12.07.2004, 03:26 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Exactly the same symptoms my Virus kB had when it had defected keyboard controller.
Old 12.07.2004, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Exactly the same symptoms my Virus kB had when it had defected keyboard controller.
Then what did you do about it?

Do you think it's a software problem or does it have to do something with the hardware? Well, the only thing I'm sure of right now is that this issue troubles me and I don't want to destroy my ears.
Old 15.07.2004, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Do you think it's a software problem or does it have to do something with the hardware?
If the keyboard controller is broken it needs a new keyboard controller, which means that you'll have to send your Virus to germany.
Old 17.07.2004, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
If the keyboard controller is broken it needs a new keyboard controller, which means that you'll have to send your Virus to germany.
Oh, that sounds really nice... Access thinks that it may have something to do with the use of the unison function, and that I may have exceeded the available amount of voices. The Indigo II has 32 voices, so if I only load one sound that uses four voices, that would mean that if I play five notes simultanousely... I would have used 20 voices, so I wouldn't be able to load even two more sounds that uses two or three voices at the same channel on the same octaves in multi-single mode. Am I right?
Old 17.07.2004, 11:46 PM

Yep 32 voices doesn't stretch as far as what we would hope, but even when I've exceeded the amount of voices it doesn't pop, beep and then hang to the point where I have to restart it. This sounds like more of a problem than just using too much unison.

Quote:
so I wouldn't be able to load even two more sounds that uses two or three voices at the same channel on the same octaves in multi-single mode. Am I right?
It doesn't matter what channel you use the voices on. The Virus has 32 voices all together, not per-channel/multi part. You can't simply avoid using voices by playing in a different octave.

Has anyone else had trouble like this when exceeding voices?

Hope it gets sorted out for you quickly Jade.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 20.07.2004, 05:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: My virus has a split personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
I'm starting to get really afraid of my indigo II .

After startup it works fine for a time, but then it can cut off all notes playing, turning them to a beep or a loud noise... it's like it gets a hang up, 'cause I have to restart it. It really frightens me, but I'm not sure if I'm pushing it too hard by playing too many notes at a time or if it's defective. It happens all the time in multi-mode, but only sometimes in single-mode. It just doesn't seem like a normal behavior, even if you have panic-buttons on the panel.

So what should I do about it?
hi jade,

sounds like a hardware problem, something that happens after a while and therefore is not very obvious for access quality control.

from your sig, i'd assume that you're in sweden. just take the virus back to your dealer there and they + the sweedish distributor will take care of it. no need to send it back to germany

good luck, marc
Old 21.07.2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Yep 32 voices doesn't stretch as far as what we would hope, but even when I've exceeded the amount of voices it doesn't pop, beep and then hang to the point where I have to restart it. This sounds like more of a problem than just using too much unison.

It doesn't matter what channel you use the voices on. The Virus has 32 voices all together, not per-channel/multi part. You can't simply avoid using voices by playing in a different octave.

Has anyone else had trouble like this when exceeding voices?

Hope it gets sorted out for you quickly Jade.
None of the sounds that I've been using make use of the UNISON FUNCTION, so I think you're right about that there may be a problem. Right now I'm writing a mail to Access, to tell them... maybe they'll be able to come up with a solution.