Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 03.07.2010, 11:26 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Low Latency with Mac Mini

I have converted from using Live + VC on a high end HP laptop to Logic Studio 9 + VC on a Mac Mini and I would have to say i'm truely impressed with the Mac. I use the Virus as my sound card in both senarios.
When playing parts live on the Virus through VC the MIDI latency is soo much lower with the Mac. I knew that the Mac core audio was pretty good, but this is a big improvement. Also I have no timing drifts with arps now
Old 24.07.2010, 05:32 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Wink

I switched 9 years ago and it was almost the same experience as you about latency on Mac vs PC.

I am getting my Virus TI2 Desktop next week and I really hope it plays good with My old iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and Logic Pro 8.0.2.

What Mac mini do you have and RAM, are you using the built in soundcard or external?
Old 24.07.2010, 07:35 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfiend View Post
I have converted from using Live + VC on a high end HP laptop to Logic Studio 9 + VC on a Mac Mini and I would have to say i'm truely impressed with the Mac. I use the Virus as my sound card in both senarios.
When playing parts live on the Virus through VC the MIDI latency is soo much lower with the Mac. I knew that the Mac core audio was pretty good, but this is a big improvement. Also I have no timing drifts with arps now
You're comparing an old PC to a new mac. The truth is, ASIO completely bypasses WDM and it's the raw power of the machine that makes the difference. Macs are currently way behind the curve, you will NOT get the latest tech if you buy a mac pro. But you will pay as much as 3 times more.
As for the mac having lower latency, it's a total myth. Sure, CoreAudio is better than WDM and even Wave RT but, like I said, ASIO bypasses these protocols entirely and therefore it's a completely moot point (nope, CoreAudio isn't better than ASIO.) Here's a recent study that proves that Cubase and Nuendo actually work much better in Windows 7 than in OSX:

http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-1.htm

P.S. I switched from mac to PC two years ago. Never been happier.

Last edited by PaPi : 24.07.2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 25.07.2010, 07:59 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
I switched 9 years ago and it was almost the same experience as you about latency on Mac vs PC.

I am getting my Virus TI2 Desktop next week and I really hope it plays good with My old iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.4 and Logic Pro 8.0.2.

What Mac mini do you have and RAM, are you using the built in soundcard or external?
Mac OS X 10.6.4
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 25.07.2010, 09:58 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi View Post
You're comparing an old PC to a new mac. The truth is, ASIO completely bypasses WDM and it's the raw power of the machine that makes the difference. Macs are currently way behind the curve, you will NOT get the latest tech if you buy a mac pro. But you will pay as much as 3 times more.
As for the mac having lower latency, it's a total myth. Sure, CoreAudio is better than WDM and even Wave RT but, like I said, ASIO bypasses these protocols entirely and therefore it's a completely moot point (nope, CoreAudio isn't better than ASIO.) Here's a recent study that proves that Cubase and Nuendo actually work much better in Windows 7 than in OSX:

P.S. I switched from mac to PC two years ago. Never been happier.
Facts:

Using Virus TI as sound card

Mac Mini - 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067MHz DDR3 RAM

PC - HP Elitebook 8530P 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 1590MHz RAM

As u can see, the PC is actually more ballsy than the Mac. Still, the Mac has much lower MIDI latency.......don't know why......i'm not imagining it. I have worked closely with both systems now.
I would suggest u are over simplifying things when you can assume that mear ASIO performance is what draws the line
I believe Core Audio has something to offer over the PC equivalent.
U just need to look at what all the big boys are using...hate to say it, but its true.
Old 25.07.2010, 11:50 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Wink

More and more studios use Mac and Logic Studio 9 or Logic Pro 8 now, that is a fact!

I love PC and Windows to but when I make music I have to use Mac because it just work.
Old 25.07.2010, 06:26 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Facts:
Not facts, your unsubstantiated opinion.

These are facts:

Old 25.07.2010, 06:29 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
More and more studios use Mac and Logic Studio 9 or Logic Pro 8 now, that is a fact!

I love PC and Windows to but when I make music I have to use Mac because it just work.
A FACT is backed by EVIDENCE. Can you actually prove your claim? Of course not. The 90's have been over for a while and the current line of mac pros is way behind the curve. Now THAT's a fact, and the evidence is right under your nose, just take a look at their specs.
Old 26.07.2010, 09:30 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi View Post
A FACT is backed by EVIDENCE. Can you actually prove your claim? Of course not. The 90's have been over for a while and the current line of mac pros is way behind the curve. Now THAT's a fact, and the evidence is right under your nose, just take a look at their specs.
Your missing my point
I totally agree with what u are saying about the Mac Pro, its way behind the current crop of i7 processors and is rubbish value for money.
I am saying that CoreAudio has been refined by Apple and seems to have much lower latency and no timing issues etc compared with my PC
Old 26.07.2010, 02:21 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
I am saying that CoreAudio has been refined by Apple and seems to have much lower latency and no timing issues etc compared with my PC
It's not true. CoreAudio doesn't have lower latency than ASIO. In fact, the benchmark test I linked to proves the opposite is true.