Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 29.06.2010, 08:09 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Thanks for that, so it uses less of Logic's resources than a software virtual instrument? How about latency though if you are using it from within Logic does it causes any latency because of the USB connection to and from the Virus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvyen View Post
OH, I forgot something: TI means "Totally Integration". With the TI, TI2 and the Snow you have the possibility to use your synth like a soft synth in your DAW (Logic). This make sense, if you want to process your Virus audio output with software effects by Logic for example. But then it stands for reason that your computers CPU begins to work, but only for the effects, not for the incoming Virus sound.
Old 29.06.2010, 08:25 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Yes, it uses less or almost nothing of Logics recources.
The latency thing: Yes, you have latency. This depends on your PC or Mac.
I have a PC with a 4 Core CPU. Working with my Virus in USB Mode I have a latency of 8-10 ms. This is really OK. The Virus has lateny compensation. This means that the Virus and everything else like the softsynths in Logic and your Audio tracks for example are always running synchronized. I tested it the last days, because I got my new Virus TI2 Keyboard (Whiteout Edition) last Friday and it works well yet.
I'll stay today in this forum, so you can ask me today everything you wanna know.
Old 29.06.2010, 08:34 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Thanks - this latency issue concerns me because at the moment with software instruments I get none whatsoever and 8-10ms latency would kill a tight sequence or arpeggiator.

I am not sure how you mean that the DAW can deal with an 8-10ms latency on a particular track, do you mean that you get latency when the keyboard is played live via Midi or is there latency in the audio after the part has been programmed and it is supposed to be playing tightly as quantized notes in the song?

Just to be clear I am not really asking or care about latency from the jack audio outputs from the back of the Virus, I am talking about only within the DAW when the Virus is used 'Integrated', so this is latency after a part is programmed and quantized and you are playing it back so need say an arpeggiated sequence to play 100% tightly against the metronome and hi-hats ect.

So, just trying to understand where exactly you hear latency and under what circumstance when working inside the DAW with the Virus.

Thanks!
Old 29.06.2010, 09:01 AM
Complete Newbie

OK, first I have to say that the latency is only in USB mode. Audio jacks are realtime. You hear the latency if you play on your keyboard. Its the same thing like a soft synth: If you play a sound of your Sylenth, you'll recognize a short delay, too. This depends on your sound card, audio interface and CPU. Same by the Virus. Now I'm not sure if there is a delay in recording midi data. Sorry, but first I have to test this at home.
Old 29.06.2010, 09:09 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Thanks for your help, so yes please check it out and let me know where you hear any latency, I don't really care about audio from the jacks, everything I do will be inside the DAW so I would like to know if Virus is the same as other soft instruments where there is no latency during playback in the sequence.

I am hoping it will be just the same as any other software instrument and if everything is inside the DAW then it is all in time with no delays but of course this will be the only instrument using the USB to go out to an external DSP and back again so I am just concerned that this fact could introduce a delay.

Thank you!
Old 29.06.2010, 09:22 AM
Complete Newbie

The delay is only if you record something or play Live if using the USB connection. If you playback your recorded stuff, everything works fine and plays together with other tracks. The Virus tracks (Midi tracks) are playing synchronized with your softsynths and audio tracks. But for goinig sure, I'll try it out this evening
Old 29.06.2010, 11:22 PM
Complete Newbie

Hi!
So, I tried it out with Ableton Live and Cubase. To say it short, it is like a soft synth. MIDI recording is in realtime. In playback you have no delays relating to your other tracks. Everything works fine and synchronal.
The only bad thing is the latency of 18ms. I thought it was 8-10ms, but it is 18ms. It could be better, but it doesn't matter for me.
Old 01.07.2010, 07:54 AM
Very mucho Newbie

Thanks! You have been very helpful, so then for example if you only have the USB connected (and not the audio jacks) and you are playing the keyboard with a Virus track set to record while listening to the metronome, there is an 18ms delay on that Virus track? That is quite a long latency and could be off putting when you are trying to play the keyboard and record at the same time via USB.
I suppose them that Virus has to be regarded as any other live instrument recorded by a DAW, because the processing is external it's not all within the DAW because this only controls the Virus and does not generate the sound like with a soft synth plug in. Thanks!
Old 01.07.2010, 08:08 AM
Complete Newbie

Perhaps I should try the ASIO4ALL Drivers. Somewhere I heard that they could have a better latency than the Virus USB drivers. I can't approve it, until I'll give it a try. I'll refer when I have results.
Old 01.07.2010, 05:13 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvyen View Post
Perhaps I should try the ASIO4ALL Drivers. Somewhere I heard that they could have a better latency than the Virus USB drivers. I can't approve it, until I'll give it a try. I'll refer when I have results.
That would help only if you use the Virus as your audio interface. If you're using the TI system with another interface that already has a great ASIO driver, then ASIO4ALL is completely useless (and it would probably get you greater latency than the standard driver.)