Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 09.03.2013, 09:20 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Depeche Mode on Letterman Mon March 11

Thought this might be of interest to some.

Depeche Mode has probably influenced the music I've created over the last 30 years more than any other band I can think of. Watching David Letterman has been a ritual of mine since I was a kid.

So, when the two come together, it's of great interest to me, might be to some other folks here.
Old 11.03.2013, 07:51 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Thought this might be of interest to some.

Depeche Mode has probably influenced the music I've created over the last 30 years more than any other band I can think of. Watching David Letterman has been a ritual of mine since I was a kid.

So, when the two come together, it's of great interest to me, might be to some other folks here.
Cool, at last david is getting a decent musical guest for a change...they usually suck big time Lol.
Old 11.03.2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Cool, at last david is getting a decent musical guest for a change...they usually suck big time Lol.
Hehe.. it can be hit or miss for sure. Mostly up and coming types, and those tend to be not very good. Maybe once or twice a year a musical guest will really get my attention.
Old 12.03.2013, 05:03 AM

Just got through watching it -- I think that might have been one of the only times I've ever seen a Virus TI on stage on that show The KB player on the left (not sure his name, he replaced Alan Wilder) had one on top and I couldn't tell what below it.

I couldn't tell what Fletch was playing, the two boards looked like they might have said Alesis on them? Maybe a midi controller driving soft synths? I was watching in HD on a 55" TV and still couldn't make out the letters (he might have obscured it on purpose). Anyone know what they were?
Old 12.03.2013, 11:51 PM

Looking at it again on the PC, looks like they might say "Roland" on end of them.

(@ around 3:55)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87WTU...layer_embedded
Old 13.03.2013, 10:18 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

A blues single! I'm curious about the mood of the new album.
Maybe Delta in the album title refers to Mississippi too.

my soundcloud page
Old 13.03.2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator View Post
A blues single! I'm curious about the mood of the new album.
Maybe Delta in the album title refers to Mississippi too.
I read somewhere that song (Heaven) is very different from the rest of the album. I personally wasn't that taken by that particular song; I always thought Alan Wilder was such an important part of the group that things weren't the same after he left. But still, given a choice between a broken Depeche Mode versus a lot of stuff out there..... well you know
Old 13.03.2013, 09:35 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I read somewhere that song (Heaven) is very different from the rest of the album. I personally wasn't that taken by that particular song; I always thought Alan Wilder was such an important part of the group that things weren't the same after he left. But still, given a choice between a broken Depeche Mode versus a lot of stuff out there..... well you know
Yes, I saw that too and being originally from Indiana, I have fervently watched Letterman for years as well! Depeche Mode's last release, 'Songs of The Universe' is very good and have learned to never judge ANY particular release by anyone I may be a fan-boy of by their "single', as more often than not, I tend to love most of other music that never reaches the airwaves. That's where Amazon is great in you at least can peruse a couple minutes of each song on album. Did that with Garbage's new release, "Not Your Ordinary People" and it's brilliant like their first two albums!
I think big name groups have gotten smart about not advertising in hiding their synth's manufacturer's name because after all, if they are not getting paid to advertise said synth but rather their music, it makes sense in this litigious world.
Old 13.03.2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
I think big name groups have gotten smart about not advertising in hiding their synth's manufacturer's name because after all, if they are not getting paid to advertise said synth but rather their music, it makes sense in this litigious world.
Yeah, I personally would put tape over it if I were them and not being paid to promote, but I've also noticed that lots of folks don't do that anymore, at least on Letterman (honestly other than a once or twice a year live concert I go to with the girlfriend, I typically don't see what's going on at live shows outside watching Letterman or Kimmel). Oddly enough though most of the type when you see a larger more established band on Letterman, they are usually using a workstation or sample based synth from Yamaha, Roland, etc. if they are R&B, or if they are a newer pop band you tend to see something like a Nord lead or just a MIDI controller (Novation, MAudio etc) plugged into a laptop. Very rarely a Virus. Very rarely modulars either for that matter unless its Radiohead
Old 13.03.2013, 11:00 PM
Pro
Pro

Yeah, you are right. However, I know in saying this, it is just my personal taste and opinion but Radiohead's lead singer gives me a headache. It is just MY opinion and sardonic humor in saying a goat connected to electroshock therapy could replace Radiohead's lead singer and not many would notice difference. However, I think the instrument playing musicians do some interesting stuff, but without the goat. Being originally an Indiana farm-boy, feel qualified to make that assessment. HA!