Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 12.10.2005, 07:02 AM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
so teenagers back in the late 40s like bob moog would have something to do with their past time?
No dammit. He was obducted and had a chip planted in his brain making him use his spare time to make to create it wierd new instruments so that the film-makers could produce realistic sound tracks for sci-fi movies in the 50?s. By the way i don?t think "Leon Thermin" had Bob Moog?s spare time in his mind when he created this lovely instrument...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 12.10.2005, 08:45 AM
Veteran
Veteran

In 100 years time we will all have evolved enough in our sensory perceptions to be able to hear colour and shape.

You heard it here first
Old 12.10.2005, 09:27 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

i think we will be able to do an upgrade to our hearing system so we can hear sub bass frequencies and finaly be able to truly use the (up to 40khz) adam monitors.
but honestly,i think surround sound will be implanted deeper into contemporary music.
Old 08.11.2005, 05:01 PM
Amateur
Amateur

"Music 100 years from now" Opps edit Music in 2105 will take on a whole new meaning to the human race. New types of synthesis and advancements in sound will develop to a level of perfection. The new music to us it would sound disorganized and abstract but at the same time very catchy and addictive and It will have very powerful effects on the psyche. The music?s new purpose will be to elevate the mind and body to ecstasy and levels of higher consciousness. Humans will live longer and the brain will expand with the advent of the new music. Time travel will become possible.
Old 08.11.2005, 05:21 PM
Administrator

100yrs, eh?

I reckon humans would have programmed computers in such a way as to let the computer create brand new tunes by itself based on formulae that relate to known human-emotive elements of music. The resultant tunes of which would be perceived as catchy, fresh, and enjoyable to listen to.

However, I don't now think there are many, if any, new genres to be 'discovered'. Before now, genres have seemingly come about due to new technologies being found, or slowly introduced over a long time line.

To put it crudely, in order of discovery, something like...

Crude resonance > drums, percussion, etc.
Tuned acoustic resonance and/or Mechanical > Piano, strings, organ, etc.
Electricity > amplification (guitars, PAs, etc.), analogue synthesis, effects, sampling/recording (vinyl, tape), mixing, etc.
Electronics > digital synthesis, extensive sampling and sound manipulation, computers and computer processing/sequencing, sound simulation/modelling, total recall, etc.

I don't think there's anything as revolutionary to music than the introduction of electricity/electronics was back then, for us, that might happen in the future in such a way as to create completely new genres.

Instead, I think time will just see cross-matching and refinement of current techniques and genres.
Old 08.11.2005, 05:51 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Music is and has always been and always will be a carrier of human intent and imagination. Over time this will not be lost. It will be understood and organized in a new way, as it has been done in human history with the advent of new sounds and music and times and experiences. Space travel will start a whole new style of music; humans will express the new experiences of space into music.
Old 08.11.2005, 06:59 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
I reckon humans would have programmed computers in such a way as to let the computer create brand new tunes by itself based on formulae that relate to known human-emotive elements of music. The resultant tunes of which would be perceived as catchy, fresh, and enjoyable to listen to.
My dad used to work in computers back when they were all spinning tapes and stuff. I once asked him this question as well - would they ever be able to make computer software that could write a good tune? He quoted a colleague of his who said it's "..About as likely as good joke-writing program.!"
Old 08.11.2005, 08:14 PM
Pro
Pro

I won't say its already been done, but the major record labels do have a piece of software that contains the melodies and chord structures/progressions etc from all the top 40 hits of all time and can analyse your song and tell if it will be a hit or not !!!

The software predicted Nora Jones to be a huge failure!
I think it just forgot to factor in the "old people with really bad taste that like seeing young girls perform" factor :P
Old 09.11.2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
My dad used to work in computers back when they were all spinning tapes and stuff. I once asked him this question as well - would they ever be able to make computer software that could write a good tune? He quoted a colleague of his who said it's "..About as likely as good joke-writing program.!"
hehe, nice one.

I'm with you on pop music, but I guess even now in 2005 it could be possible to program computers to create simple stuff like ambient trance and mood music by themselves.

I think physical modelling, overall, also has a huge wealth of potential growth and discovery left to explore, though. For instance stuff like accurately modelling the piano, and the human voice, all without sounding unnatural or resorting to samples. This would probably be one of the last things to develop and perfect due to the intensive DSP power needed, not to mention expensive R&D. I guess convolution is partly heading that way to model things like EQ, reverb etc, although audio samples are still required to do this, but this doesn't touch vocal or piano modelling.

However, 100yrs is a long time in technological terms. Look how far we've come even in the last 10, especially regards computer fire power and the software that runs on it.
Old 24.11.2005, 08:54 PM
Pro
Pro

All this fascinates me, do you think it would ever be possible to picture a sound in your head and then use an ultra sensitive brain mapping device and powerful DSP to render it onto a keyboard to be played?

..... and then chorus added?