Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 09.05.2005, 10:18 PM
This forum member lives here

Is anyone here bored of the same kinda shitty 909/808 loops?

The same kinda detuned mega leads?

The same kinda 'oh my god my soul is part of the universe' kinda pads?

The same kinda dull songwriting?

The overuse of compression, effects and virtual plugin 'phatning' techniques?

The squeeky clean and sterile digital recordings?

The oh so pathetic vocal stutters?

The even more pathetic and meaningless lyrics?

The fact that trance is not a 'live' genre and never will be in the true sense.

The fact that alot of people make it in smelly bedrooms whilst at university (often under the influence of drugs) and that the euphoric feeling they get whilst writing the tune....just cannot be achieved unless you use the same drugs.

The fact that very few people can make money within this genre now (I was hoping that would mean more talented musicians would dominate....but I was wrong).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, thats enough.....but theres alot more. I'd just like to say that 80's music never had these kinda problems.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 10.05.2005, 01:31 AM
Pro
Pro

The only good trance is psytrance and none of your (ever so neatly organised) bullet points above apply to psytrance.

Go get some Juno Reactor, Cosmosis, X-Dream, Slinky Wizard, Bumbling Loons.

Those are a small selection of artists.

Labels to check out are: Flying Rhino, TIP, Transient, Blue Room, Cosmophilia, Krembo (Israeli trance (my fav).

Until you have checked out these things, I'm afraid all your opinions on trance music are null and void

Old 10.05.2005, 03:45 AM

Hey DS!

You forgot some very important 80's bands in your list

* The Police

* Blondie

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 10.05.2005, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
the progressive scene has certainly taking a step up.
tomer is on the mark here....

a couple of mates of mine from melbourne are producing some of the best progressive around (and have been for some years IMH(unbiased)O)

check out any thing released by
sensient, and
suncontrolspecies.
and more recently the hayes brothers, james and pete, producing under the names 'shadow fx' and 'tetrameth' respectively.
sensient's label - 'zenon records' - has now released three of the best progressive compilations around.

personally i think the full-on psy sound is long dead. this is the style of trance people think is boring, cause 20 layers of cascading synths doing modulated sixteenths has become tedious to say the least...

other notable progressive artists to check out:
freq
haldolium
moses
krumelur
morja
auricular (shiva chandra side project)
kooler (sebastien mullert from son kite)

decent labels:
zenon
plusquam
domo
medium
iboga

cheers

blay
Old 10.05.2005, 05:00 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay
personally i think the full-on psy sound is long dead. this is the style of trance people think is boring, cause 20 layers of cascading synths doing modulated sixteenths has become tedious to say the least...
That doesn't describe psytrance even remotely. Methinks you should check out some of the names I mentioned, especially the Israeli stuff (Krembo), Juno Reactor and X-Dream.

You are entitled to your opinion though and some of the more recent psy-stuff I have heard is rather bullshit.
Old 10.05.2005, 09:54 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal

That doesn't describe psytrance even remotely. Methinks you should check out some of the names I mentioned, especially the Israeli stuff (Krembo), Juno Reactor and X-Dream.

You are entitled to your opinion though and some of the more recent psy-stuff I have heard is rather bullshit.
I think blay means the full-on psy that mainly comes out of Israel. GMS, Alien Project, Xerox, Seisto Sento, etc. etc. which are very formulaic and quite dull.

I'm really enjoying the prog psy scene, freq, antix, atmos, etc. And stuff coming out of South Africa (Rinkadink, Protoculture), the new Wrecked Machines album is very enjoyable and the latest compilation from Twisted records, Unusual Suspects 2 is fantastic.

I haven't listened to regular trance for years now, but the psy scene does seem to keep reasonably fresh.
Old 11.05.2005, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledge
I think blay means the full-on psy that mainly comes out of Israel.
hit it on the head ledge.
gopal i do agree - all the old juno reactor stuff is timeless, and xdream came out with some original tracks (at the time they were released).
to add to the golden oldies list you would have to include logic bomb!
i have been buying psy/prog since 1996, and i have seen many changes - mainly in production standards.
like any genre of music you have to sift through multitudes of crap to find the good stuff
i think im just getting old - cant listen or write anything faster than about 136 these days....

cheers

blay
Old 11.05.2005, 05:24 AM
Pro
Pro

Too true Blay.

I'm gettin old now too, hardly go past 150 when I'm DJin these days. :P

I haven't heard of Logic Bomb. What label were they on, or is that the label?

I used to play mainly Flying Rhino stuff when I spun psytrance. Some Krembo, some Cosmophilia, TIP, Cosmosis etc.

I still find psytrance to be one of the most intelligent genres of dance music IMHO and I hope to have the musical mind and ability to crank out that calibre of stuff one day. Once I'm sick of the Hardhouse and Hardtrance buzz I've been on for the last 8 years or so.
Old 11.05.2005, 06:06 AM

logic bomb mainly release on TIP - but they have VA tracks all over the shop.

cheers

blay
Old 11.05.2005, 09:00 PM

Ok, where do all you guys hear about these new trance artists? Is their a website you can goto to keep abreast of all the latest info/artists? I will happily take back some of my comments if I can get to listen to some of these tunes you so passionately advocate

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....