Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 05.11.2004, 08:19 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Prodigy - Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Just got it yesterday........

And I love it! Hard, nasty, classic Prodigy! Track 2 the stand out for me, entitled "Girl". Have a listen to that high-frequency synth line/hook, the way when it starts, there is this awesome effect like a vibrato or something being tweaked.....Brilliant!

Liam Howlett is a freak, and pushing out some quality, cutting edge, intelligent electronica! Always evolving and changing........

Check it out, it is well worth it....

Jase

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 05.11.2004, 09:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

defently a great cd all tho i heard some mixed opinions on it
some saying their old work was better but i also like their new cd.
Old 05.11.2004, 08:42 PM
Pro
Pro

you guys have got to be kidding. Not even a touching the sides of their early stuff. Go back and listen to it to refresh your memory.
Old 06.11.2004, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal
you guys have got to be kidding. Not even a touching the sides of their early stuff. Go back and listen to it to refresh your memory.
'Experience' will always be my favorite, but I am not disputing that this album is "better" than their earlier albums, all I am saying is that I think it is fucking awesome!!!!!

And, those early albums will always be "better", because they take us back to our early adult lives, and remind us of good times....it is the nostalgia factor.....

The last couple of albums they put out, I didnt buy. I was pretty dissapointed really cos it just sounded like they were trying to give people what they thought was classic prodigy sound, but not hitting the right spot. With this album, they have gotten back to the basics, and I think they have progressed, changed, and pushed the limits once again.

This is mainstream, commercial pop/dance people!!!!!!!! Bloody awesome....think about it???? All the other crap being played on MTV etc, and then we have 'Prodigy'.....restores my faith

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 06.11.2004, 08:56 AM

I do like some of the songs from "Always out numbered, never out gunned", but it's just the overall "sound" of the album which gets on my nerves. But when comparing the new album to say "Fat of the Land" (my all time favourite album), it doesn't compare in many other ways too. Drum programming/sounds, synths and compostion were all better in the Fat of the land. Personal choice though I guess, although I'm not alone in thinking this.

The best thing about the new album is the fact he has actually brought out a new album. Just the fact he has released something is great news. Maybe with the next one he'll incorporate his new found passion with some lengthy but benificial production and compostion techniques. Fingers crossed.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 08.11.2004, 06:40 PM
Pro
Pro

Its what happens when you go to software. Things just don't sound right.

You know he wrote the whole friggen album on reason. Bad idea Liam
Old 08.11.2004, 07:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

yeah i heard about that.
he uses only analog for bass but he wana use reason for synths
whats the big idea in that?
bahhh
analog synths and hardware just dont inspire him anymore

weird guy...
Old 09.11.2004, 01:29 AM
Pro
Pro

Yeah, someone should explain to him about the properties of electricity and output stages on hardware. It's the voltage that makes the hardware sound stronger than software. You can't replicate a good output stage.

I've always been a huge Prodigy fan but I just don't find this new album groundbreaking. All the sounds have been heard before which kindof makes it an alsorand in comparison to the pioneering work of the other albums.

Maybe I'm being a bit hard on him but after all, he is the one that set the bar so high!
Old 04.01.2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal
Its what happens when you go to software. Things just don't sound right.

You know he wrote the whole friggen album on reason. Bad idea Liam
Well I tend to agree. Early Prodigy (Circa 1995) used alot of analog synths and decent drum machines......this album is a softsynth showcase...nothing more. Early Prodigy used alot of Moog and Sequential gear for crusty drums and ripping leads and raw bass. Now their stuff sounds restrianed......no amount of plug-in distortion can make up for it.

Its like what Jean Michael Jarre did with his last two albums.....went pro-tools/VST etc....fecking bollox....totally lost his sound.

For me, there is nothing remotely interesting about a 'Phat! Rippin' Hard Sync!' done on a softsynth...... Now if u were to do that on some analogs then....you'd hear the difference and in my view it would sound alot more authentic, raw, spine tingling, atmospheric. Some people around here and on other forums seem to totally underestimate just how important it is to be using the right kind of synth for the job in hand.

Sure a softsynth can put out some nice incidental stuff.......some nice textures etc.....but for solid basses....in your face leads, blips and bleeps that have presence, reso effects....etc etc....then lets knowck off the bullshit....real analog is where its at for those. Thats where the Prodigy have gone wrong on this latest album. Pretty good song writing let down by its production.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 04.01.2005, 01:31 PM

Hehe....as you can see....im a litle particulalr about synths...

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....