Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 31.10.2004, 11:23 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Dunkel
I think the biggest problem is that crap music sells so why bother making quality music
Thing is, crap music sells, cos people arent educated. Now, if we all make our best efforts to produce brilliant music, flood the market with nothing but great quality, then people will slowly learn. I think we are in a moment of change, and it is a change for the best.

We need more action, less talk....more dedication to the cause, and of course, a dictator leadership with a take no prisoners attitude. Someone who has the courage to seek out and terminate the crap music of the world

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 31.10.2004, 12:10 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Thing is, crap music sells, cos people arent educated. Now, if we all make our best efforts to produce brilliant music, flood the market with nothing but great quality, then people will slowly learn. I think we are in a moment of change, and it is a change for the best.
I?m sure the way to flooding the market with quality music won?t go thruogh MTV or the big commersial record companies. They?ll rather stick to what they know makes money than experiment with new "quality musicians". Of course they will take some chances but the majority of what they send out will still be crap. For them it?s a question of making money, not making people listen to quality music. Sad but true

Quote:
and of course, a dictator leadership with a take no prisoners attitude. Someone who has the courage to seek out and terminate the crap music of the world.
Who will run for dictator? Oh, i forgot. They aren?t elected. Anyone fell like overthrowing the goverment of music
Old 31.10.2004, 12:47 PM

Quote:
For them it?s a question of making money, not making people listen to quality music. Sad but true
OK I agree.....but lets seperate the "music industry" from the "money industry". These are clearly 2 very different things, and we all know crap exists in the "money industry", but the same crap also exists in the "music industry".

I think we may have some problems here though, as difference of opinion is a hard thing to judge. Something I think is of excellence may be something Juho thinks is crap! How can we moderate opinions?

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 31.10.2004, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Who will run for dictator?
Me! Me!

I don't think the problem is in the people. The problem is in the music industry, which is pathetic. They only invest in the overproduced bubblegum music and don't dare to take even slightest risks. And the most funny thing is that after all that crappy cheap music they wonder why piracy is increasing. They probably haven't thought that probably people don't want to pay for total crap.

I bet that If major record companies would start to release new innovative music people would buy more records. At the moment the companies are just strangling themselves to death, which might be a good thing. When the current companies go down the new ones start a new way on the business: Quality before the quantity.
Old 01.11.2004, 03:19 AM

But the thing is, the smaller companies will go first, and the big corporations will buy them out, and then we will start to see a monopoly in the music industry, where one huge company will control everything!

Scary.....

Old 01.11.2004, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
But the thing is, the smaller companies will go first, and the big corporations will buy them out, and then we will start to see a monopoly in the music industry, where one huge company will control everything!
Yup. But the truth is that big companies won't stay in business with current thing for long.
Old 01.11.2004, 06:48 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
It's really strange that people make music even they don't know anything about notation or chords. Oh boy they don't even know how much better they would do with those basic bits of knowledge.
This is so true. I play around, but quickly realised I'm not going to get anywhere unless I learn the basics of music theory and to be able to play the keyboard to a reasonable skill level.

I've long been saying that the difference between good and bad dance music will almost always have something to do with the producers level of musical knowledge and it can really show.

I'm also curious Juho what you base this "all dance music nowadays is shit" stance on? As you aren't into dance music, where are you hearing it? If it is just radio and MTV then of course you aren't going to here anything good or innovative. But that would be the same for any genre.
Old 01.11.2004, 06:55 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Yup. But the truth is that big companies won't stay in business with current thing for long.
Erm, wrong. They may not grow any further but chart music is all about marketing and has fuck all to do with good music

The big labels will never innovate, everyone in them is too scared of making the wrong decision so they don't take risks, which is their loss. Luckily there will always be people out their producing good music, it is just a matter of finding it
Old 01.11.2004, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledge
I've long been saying that the difference between good and bad dance music will almost always have something to do with the producers level of musical knowledge and it can really show.
Yup. For example use of chords is incredibly banal. With simple chord tricks a track can get a totally new atmosphere.

Quote:
I'm also curious Juho what you base this "all dance music nowadays is shit" stance on? As you aren't into dance music, where are you hearing it? If it is just radio and MTV then of course you aren't going to here anything good or innovative. But that would be the same for any genre.
I listen to all kinds of music. I never listen to radio or watch MTV because it's just waste of my time. I just roam around the net looking for additions to my music collection. That way I have a slight knowledge on about all kinds of music.
Old 01.11.2004, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledge
Erm, wrong. They may not grow any further but chart music is all about marketing and has fuck all to do with good music :)
When records start to sell less and less the advertising get's bloody expensive.