Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 29.10.2004, 11:18 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default What the hell is wrong with modern dance music

Yes. What's wrong? Where is the groove? A good dance track makes you dance. A good dance track gets people move even they don't usually dance. I realised this while listening to Stevie Wonders Superstition. This tracks makes you move more than all the modern dance tracks altogether. I just would love to dance this kind of music. Maybe I'll have to fix the problem by myself.

Why all modern dance music is based in bloody banal straight lines of 1/8th's or 1/16th's! It's just wrong! When you make music that is meant to be danced, then why you kill all the danceability from it? Bloody trance people! GAAH! (I blame them again. ?hih) Good thing though that at least on some areas of house genre the funk still lives.
Old 30.10.2004, 04:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

you should maybe blame the guy who came up with the idea of sequencing and quarntize not trance people.
the different between michel jarra's firts albums in the 70s and his recent work (04) is huge
today its all sequencing
you can compere that and same the same about about lose of groove.
Old 30.10.2004, 06:37 AM
Veteran
Veteran

OMG I absolutely find Stevie Wonders music to be the shit!! He makes some of the best tunes I have ever heard...Well Juho get out there and change it...

peace
Blank
Old 30.10.2004, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
you should maybe blame the guy who came up with the idea of sequencing and quarntize not trance people.
You can get some slight groove with just small elements. Like simple changes in rythm and bass. Using straight 1/8th's and 1/16th's isn't helping. And what the heck does JMJ has to do with groove. ?hih.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank
OMG I absolutely find Stevie Wonders music to be the shit!!
When I saw Stevie Wonder and shit in the same sentence I already was getting my battle axe from the warehouse. The I read the sentence again.

Quote:
He makes some of the best tunes I have ever heard...Well Juho get out there and change it...
Yup. Man's gotta do what man's gotta do.
Old 30.10.2004, 11:12 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I kinda figure you were going to say some thing that...So Juho let me know when you have finished a track with the new style!! Would love to hear it!!

peace
Blank
Old 30.10.2004, 11:55 AM

Dont forget to put things in context.......

Scenario 1: You are watching TV, MTV actually, and a new "Dance" video clip comes on. The beat is blaring out of the TV's shitty speakers, the images are making you ill, and the overall conclusion is that the music is shit

Scenario 2: You walk into a club with some close friends. you have just taken a hit of [insert name of trendy drug here] and you are starting to peak. The DJ starts to play the same track from the video that was on MTV, the subs are pumping and the 4/4 beat is rattling your rib cage as 35000W+ of bass and energy is propelling you back & forth, side to side, your head starts to nod and the build into the main loop jerks you forward as the drugs effects start to kick in, the crowd has now reached 4000, the club is at maximum capacity, the combined energy of thousands of people flows through you and everywhere you look there is a smile, there is unity, there is pure enjoyment and, heaven forbid, love.......

I think you get the idea. So, if you say dance music is made to make you dance, then you better not be judging a song from the comfort of your living room, listening to a MP3 on your shitty computer monitors or headphones, whingeing about how if it were up to you dance music would be blah blah blah blah.....

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 30.10.2004, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Stick that in your pipe and smoke it ;)
So you mean that modern dance music is totally indanceable because you can make it danceable with shitty drugs? What about people who would rather shoot the drug dealer than buy the drugs?

It's quite sad if you'll have to take drugs to enjoy music. With that drug logic we could just stop making music, put a random noise on the speakers and start taking drugs until it sounds good or you're dead.

I think it's a bit better to make music that makes you dance without seven tons of poison in your system. It's also healthier and safer.
Old 30.10.2004, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
I think it's a bit better to make music that makes you dance without seven tons of poison in your system. It's also healthier and safer.
Dont get me wrong....I think it is a sad state of affairs too, but it is a reality! The people at the clubs that are dancing to this type of music are either:

a) high
b) drunk
c) on the way to being both of the above

Well, as with all generalisations not ALL people at clubs do this, but a hell of alot do. This is the culture. This is generation Y. This is social drug use, this is recreational drug use, and these people are keeping the dance industry afloat.

Im not agreeing, or condoning the use of recreational drugs to enjoy music, life....but we have to come to terms that this behaviour is now almost normal and part & parcel of teenagers, adolescents, growing up, experimenting....as it always has been. From the very early days of mozart where the socialites would sniff ether and have group sex after the concerto', through the 50's, 60's etc......rave culture, drug culture, are they one and the same? Probably!

Understand the people who are listening to the music...the dance music, who dont care what synth this track was made with, only that it will further enhance their night-time activities, their "recreation"......

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 30.10.2004, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
What about people who would rather shoot the drug dealer than buy the drugs?
They are probably not at the raves or buying dance music though

Old 30.10.2004, 02:15 PM
Administrator

But reasoning the current state of "dance" music by a drug culture is a bit lame. If some people use drugs, why we shouldn't make music that is danceable without drugs? It's like thinking why to make good dance music when people dance on anykind of crap because they're so high. Who knows what kind of kicks the junkies get when they hear good danceable music.

Edit: One reason for this issue could be that 99% of the dance music producers just don't know how to make danceable music.