Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 04.06.2004, 10:48 AM
This forum member lives here

Default TC Powercore Vs. UAD-1

Hi all,

I am thinking of adding a DSP FX card to my arsenal, and was wandering if anyone out there could give me some feedback on the TC Powercore or UAD-1??? The UAD-1 seems better price wise, and comes with some classic gear emulations, and the powercore also seems to have some serious reverbs and dynamics processing.......but also a little pricier.

Thanks for any feedback!

Jason

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 04.06.2004, 10:57 AM
Pro
Pro

Funny that, because I'm looking at these too aswell after recommendations by Martyn Reid (I think he's got both). From reading reviews I reakon the UAD is better overall and certainly for compression and limiting but the Powercore has a better reverb. The reverb on the UAD is meant to be a bit dodgy. I'd probably go for the UAD.
Old 04.06.2004, 02:25 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Hiya guys,

Thought I'd add my thoughts here;

Both dsp cards are excellent in their own ways. Currently only TC are supporting 3rd party developers, hence the multitude of plug-ins by companies like Access, Sony, Novation. This in itself is a benefit of the Powercore - you can buy extra synths / effects / dynamic processors to work on the card.

Universal Audio develop their own plug-ins called "Powered Plug-ins". As a company UAD have not released the code for 3rd party developers and as far as I know don't intend to.

The Powercore comes in 3 different packages; the Element, the full PCI package and the Firewire Powercore (a hardware unit).

The UAD-1 comes in two packages; the Project Pak and the full package called the studio pak (all the Powered Plug-ins minus the Pultec Pro - which is basically a mid-range addition to the classic Pultec EQ).

As for advice on which to get, well it really depends on what plugs you already own.

Both cards come with some of the best plugs I have heard, so when you say that the reverb is poor on the UAD-1 its not poor, its simply not as incredible as the compressors and EQ. Both the Dreamverb and the Realverb Pro are good, useable reverb plugs - as long as you are willing to put a bit of time into finding the right settings. Excellent results can be achieved from both reverb plugs on the UAD-1.

I guess you heard this from someone comparing them to the Classicverb from the Powercore which is quite simply fantastic. The main advantage is the ability to modulate the reverb tail, that and the simplicity of the plug-in. The reverbs created by the Classicverb have made my Lexicon MPX550 redundant, as it is very simlar sounding but with the obvious benefits of a plug-in.

As for the compressors on the UAD-1, well what can I say that hasn't been said before?? I can't remember where I read this but apparently in blindfold test 5 professinal producers preferred the UAD-1 compressors to those of the ?2500 bombfactory plugs AND also the original hardware that they emulate! I think that says it all, they really have to be heard to be believed.

The UAD-1 has the fantastically smooth Pultec Pro EQ plug but the Powercore has a good EQ Saturation plug.

As for the other plugs, both come with good Amp simulators, plenty of good little tools like simple delay units and gate compressors, etc. The Powercore also has a very good chorus/delay which sounds great, as well as the Master X3 (the X5 is an optional extra and costs about ?185) which is a powerful mastrering processor based on the TC Finaliser.

In summary, I would suggest that if you are lacking effects I would consider getting the Powercore over the UAD-1 whereas if mastering and compressing is what you are lacking then I would recommend the UAD-1. Although both complement each other perfectly!

Any questions just ask,

Martyn
Old 04.06.2004, 03:51 PM
Pro
Pro

Sounds like it's both then Jasedee!!
Old 05.06.2004, 09:11 AM

Thanks for the feedback Martyn! You certainly left no stone unturned. have you considered becoming a writer? perhaps for an audioTech magazine?

I already own TC Works "Spark XL" two track editor, which came with some great sounding native plugs, and seeing as I have a Virus, would have no need to add the softSynth version, so it looks like I am leaning towards the UAD-1, as I am really in need of some good quality dynamics processing (My DBX comp/gate is just not cutting it), and what really pushes me in the UAD-1's direction is the difference in price. Over here it is an extra (AUD) grand for the powercore!

Thanks again for the comprehensive dissection of both units.

Jase

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 05.06.2004, 05:40 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Jasedee,

It ceratinly looks like the UAD-1 is the right choice for you.

I don't know what it is like importing hardware into Australia but if I were you I would investigate getting one imported from the States. There is an online shop at http://www.jrrshop.com.

They have UAD's at a very good price and if you join the UAD-1 forum at http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/default.asp and enter the word "forum" into the discount section on the JRR webshop you will get an automatic discount of 10% - which would probably pay for the shipping!

You won't be disappointed with "Uncle E"'s service - he pulls all the stops for his customers. I have never bought from him but when I get my 2nd UAD-1 I will be getting it shipped over by "Uncle E".

All the best,

Martyn
Old 06.06.2004, 06:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up martyn, they do have a good price there.

Cheers,

Jason

Old 10.06.2004, 04:09 PM
Pro
Pro

Does anyone find that latency is a problem with these cards?
Old 11.06.2004, 07:24 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Personally, I've never had a problem. But I do have a good system and a RME HDSP9632!

I also use Cubase SL2 which has full plug-in latency compensation.

Both cards come with latency compensator plugs and full instructions on how to use them. I haven't got much more to say regarding latency as it has never been a problem.
Old 11.06.2004, 09:20 AM
Pro
Pro

Cheers