Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 22.02.2005, 09:55 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Jazz-Fusion pt II....

Just thought I would share with you all the final mixes for my last assignment at school

Just to refresh your memories.....The "band" were all a bunch of music performance students from another college, who hadnt played with each other for quite some time, so it was almost like a free-form jam session, which we recorded all live in the studio. We recorded on a Euphonix CS2000 digitally controlled analogue console, onto a Studer A827 24 track, to 2" analogue tape @ 15ips, 520nWb/m

I recorded the band with 3 other class mates, so my role in this project was strictly as engineer, and I had nothing to do with the actual musicianship (so please try and keep comments on an engineering/production basis)

After recording, we bounced all the tracks into ProTools, and then I burnt the audio files onto CD and took them home so I could mix. All mixing/processing was done in Cubase SX2. No outboard was used in the mixing process.

We recorded 2 songs in a 4 hour session, the first was Cantaloupe Island, which I have already posted in another thread, but as a shortened version. Here you get the full 10 mins or so....just for you Juho, cos I know you loved it

The other is a song called Chicken....another 10 min + monster.

Hope you all enjoy the tunes, and any constructive criticism is welcome! The songs are quite large, "Chicken" is around 6 MB, Cantaloupe is around 12 MB...but boy are they worth it.

Cheers

Chicken

Cantaloupe Island

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 22.02.2005, 12:56 PM
Administrator

1. Bass is too muffled.
2. Drums have annoying room sound. Although I'm not sure is it intentional or not.
3. Tell the keyboardist that I'm going to whack his XP10 with an axe (or maybe double its price by spitting on it).
4. Tell me in forehand next time when they'll play Chicken so I can go to wrap Jaco Pastorius' corpse into a cooper coil so that I can get free electricity. One more pink soft jazz version of Chicken and Jaco needs high RPM bearings for his coffin.

That's all I have to say for now. Muahaha.
Old 22.02.2005, 02:01 PM

Ahh Juho.....I can always count on you for some inspiringly witty criticism. You sure are hard to please

1. Not sure what you mean about the bass. Not defined enough? Too much low end? What are you listening on?

2. The room sound you might be hearing is probably the guitar mics picking up alot of drum spill/ambience. Everything was in the same room, so the guitar amp wasnt seperated fully from the rest of the instruments

3. Actually the XP10 was not the keyboardist...the college I go to had some deal with Roland and there are hundreds of the things lying around school.

4. Who is Jaco?

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 22.02.2005, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
1. Not sure what you mean about the bass. Not defined enough? Too much low end? What are you listening on?
Basic speakers I use for everything. The bass is too boomy. More botne required.

Quote:
2. The room sound you might be hearing is probably the guitar mics picking up alot of drum spill/ambience. Everything was in the same room, so the guitar amp wasnt seperated fully from the rest of the instruments
Oh. It's probably that then. Could probably be fixed by micing the guitar PA at very close range so that the gain is so low that the leak is really silent. Also "isolating" the mic from other noise sources helps as well. It's funny how you can restrict leaking with very small obstacles.

Quote:
3. Actually the XP10 was not the keyboardist...the college I go to had some deal with Roland and there are hundreds of the things lying around school.
They have a deal with Roland and all they have is the one of the worst Roland keyboards ever made? Sounds like a good deal. By the way what kind of keyboardist doesn't bring his/her own instruments? Especially if the only loan instruments are XP10's... (Then you don't have to bring your own gear if the place has Hammond, Rhodes/Wurly and grand piano).
Old 22.02.2005, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Oh. It's probably that then. Could probably be fixed by micing the guitar PA at very close range so that the gain is so low that the leak is really silent. Also "isolating" the mic from other noise sources helps as well. It's funny how you can restrict leaking with very small obstacles.
Yeah, we did close mic the guitar amp, using a sm57 and a AKG C414, and it was also surrounded by two gobo's, or dividers, but still, the issue was that the drum spill was far too loud, and the guitar amp wasnt loud enough. When looking at the VU meters, we were hitting at close to 0dB VU but we didnt realise how much of that was the bloody drum spill. So everytime I change the sound of the guitars, the drum sound changes

Quote:
By the way what kind of keyboardist doesn't bring his/her own instruments? Especially if the only loan instruments are XP10's...
Funny you say that.....the drummer didnt even own a set of drums! We had to bring in one of the other engineers kit, and some of my cymbals/snare etc. The guitarist only brought his guitar, so we had to use the schools amp, which was a Trace elliot.

Old 22.02.2005, 11:43 PM

Listening to Chicken Jase....

Sounds better than the other one I listened to a month or so ago from the same band for sure.

Drums - I agree with Juho and that room sound. I remeber that from the last one too. The snare just has a "hollow" kinda sound, but it's better than last time though. The crashes and hats sound pretty good. The kick isn't too bad either - just that snare at times.

Bass - I don't agree with Juho here actually. It's sounds alright to me. Sometimes I felt it could have maybe used a bit more presence in the mix though.

Keyboard - No problem at all - except for the choice of sound. Hehe.

Guitars - All need more level in the mix - esspecially the lead section. The the lead is too far into the mid-bass area. Bringing it more into mid range would be nicer for me - needs to scream more.

Heaps of improvement on the last mix I've heard with this band involved Jase. Was it fun going to tape - or just a headfuck?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 23.02.2005, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Drums - I agree with Juho and that room sound. I remeber that from the last one too.
Yeah...it is a source of frustration for me. Basically, what you are hearing is the sound of the drums being picked up in the guitar mics. Everything in the one room, live, but we didnt crank the gain up enough on the guitar amp, so everytime I turn up the guitars in the mix, or EQ, they affect the sound of the drums

Quote:
Bass - I don't agree with Juho here actually. It's sounds alright to me.
Yeah...Juho is a loser

Quote:
Keyboard - No problem at all - except for the choice of sound. Hehe.
Yeah, I guess it is a pretty generic sound

Quote:
Guitars - All need more level in the mix - esspecially the lead section. The the lead is too far into the mid-bass area. Bringing it more into mid range would be nicer for me - needs to scream more.
Again this comes back to the drum spill in the guitar mics.....if I pull up the guitars, I get the horrible drum/room sound....plus there is a whole heap of hiss and noise when I bring the guitars up too loud. A problem when you record to analogue tape at too low levels

Quote:
Heaps of improvement on the last mix I've heard with this band involved Jase. Was it fun going to tape - or just a headfuck?
Cheers HC It was awesome going to tape.....I wish I had a 24 track tape machine in my room....I would track everything to tape first before bouncing into digital. It sounds fuckin lovely! and not a head fuck at all. In fact, because we dont have the same editing power as we do with digital, it means you have to perform better as a musican....which yields great results

It's all about the vibe!

Old 23.02.2005, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Bass - I don't agree with Juho here actually. It's sounds alright to me. Sometimes I felt it could have maybe used a bit more presence in the mix though.
That bass need the sound of fingers (which you might call presence)! It should not be a bloody oomph-oomph rubbish bass. It needs the fingers!
Old 23.02.2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
That bass need the sound of fingers (which you might call presence)! It should not be a bloody oomph-oomph rubbish bass. It needs the fingers!
Im going to do another mix today.....Im happy with "Cantaloupe Island", but not so happy with "Chicken".

It seems too cluttered and the instruments are competing, instead of complimenting. I will look at the bass and see if I can fix up this presence issue.

Also considering pulling the guitars out so I dont get that room sound, and leaving them only in for the solo (which is what I did with Cantaloupe)

So...just for Juho....Im giving him the finger(s)

Old 04.03.2005, 12:49 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Hamstar

What is the deal with colleges and the xp-10? I have taken intro and intermediate electronic music classes at my college and the only synth we have in both classes is the damn xp-10. I hate that synth with a passion! The only patches I kinda liked were synth bass 1 and maybe a couple of user patches were alrite. What sucks is that the user patches sound better than the preset patches, but we couldnt use them because the user patches dont send midi data! Luckily in intermediate we are only using the synth as a midi controller for Reason. I guess as a midi controller its alrite,but its really hard to like this synth.