Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 08.12.2003, 03:57 AM
New here
New here

Default logic interface frustrations, what should i do

OK, I will just be frank. I hate manuals. And to get your head around logic seems to be something of an art. I want to be able to record audio , which is pretty straight forward in logic. And that part to me is very simple.
Midi, oh my. What a pain. I dont get it at all with logic. Doing a simple task like copying two bars and paste them is something I can never figure out. I even got a copy of a logic book and thumbed through it. No joy.
Now before you call me stupid I have used sonar and actually liked it. I didnt use it very long because I dont have a pc. I am a mac user.
Everytime I get a killer riff in my head I spend hours figuring out logic and by that time I forget what im trying to do. Should I get an akai squencer? Should I get a different sequencer for MAC?
Ideas?
Old 08.12.2003, 07:07 AM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

haha i know that feeling!! i also tried logic then quit for the same reasons!
i remember the midi in worked but not the midi out....
Old 08.12.2003, 09:42 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Akai sequencers are quite good. You don't get a big screen with an Akai. I'm not sure how the new mpc1000 does either. Wait until next year. That's what I'd get just for the sequencer. They are all sold out until next year.
Old 08.12.2003, 01:28 PM
New here
New here

Should i just consider another sequencer until I go for an akai? I dont really need a big screen to do midi I just need something that works and is straight forward.
Geez at this point I feel like i might as well get a reel to reel or something.
Old 09.12.2003, 08:38 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

EMU command station? Very similar.

Yea. Do some tape loops.
Old 10.12.2003, 04:03 PM
New here
New here

Well, the price of the command station is banging, but..... The interface is so small and the data does not look very detailed. It would have to be incredibly user friendly for me to use it. What do you all think, easier to edit midi data with it vs akai 4k or roland 8k?
Old 10.12.2003, 04:14 PM
Amateur
Amateur

How about nuendo 2 for MAC.

I know steinberg get grief about there sequencers but nuendo 2 is really nice to work with and stable.
Old 11.12.2003, 12:13 AM
New here
New here

Default Re: logic interface frustrations, what should i do

Doing a simple task like copying two bars and paste them is something I can never figure out. ( quote)......

LAP is actually quite easy.. after a few hours. fuck tje manuals.. push ALT K and youre in the short cut section...
It will help a lot..
When you copy / paste mid, youre wasting time..
play something find ( in short cuts) save last take as recording .. or something like that. Make your own short for it, and your up N running..
Next time U got a idea..
press play in LAP plaay what U like and... use the short cut for save last take as recording (?!) and you gor it all !!
A very nice tool is if U press the escape button.. this gives u all the tools. a fast way to cut vol etc..
Just so that U know !
Old 11.12.2003, 09:05 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyS
How about nuendo 2 for MAC.

I know steinberg get grief about there sequencers but nuendo 2 is really nice to work with and stable.
I think Nuendo is overboard. You can do anything with it. I think if you were to incorporate video or also edit video in your music it's good for ya.

I don't think the command station can sample. I was talking on another fourm about this. (Are you the same person?) Someone said the command station is great for live improv.

If you can afford it get the 4k. It's a monster. I don't think there is anything else out there that can match it. I'm sure it has a great sequencer. It also has the huge screen and I think a monitor plug. Its sampler, I believe, is like the Z8. If you aren't going to use it outside your studio, get one.

If you plan on going on stage, get a command station or the 1k.

Don't bother with the Roland.
Old 12.12.2003, 03:16 PM
New here
New here

Default Re: logic interface frustrations, what should i do

I will just sit there and jam while recording midi, then if i want to take one thing out i can never get it . Ill check out the alt-k but I am thinking a more friendly sequencer is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_muzed
Doing a simple task like copying two bars and paste them is something I can never figure out. ( quote)......

LAP is actually quite easy.. after a few hours. fuck tje manuals.. push ALT K and youre in the short cut section...
It will help a lot..
When you copy / paste mid, youre wasting time..
play something find ( in short cuts) save last take as recording .. or something like that. Make your own short for it, and your up N running..
Next time U got a idea..
press play in LAP plaay what U like and... use the short cut for save last take as recording (?!) and you gor it all !!
A very nice tool is if U press the escape button.. this gives u all the tools. a fast way to cut vol etc..
Just so that U know !