Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 16.11.2006, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to ///AznTi
Default LFO... HELP!

Ok ok everyone knows I'm a complete newbie here. But thats why I have all you experts to help me...HeHe

I know LFO means low frequency oscillator which moves the oscillator in a certain way by clock or by freely moving. I have noticed I have been using more clock with envelope this way every time a note is struck the note starts with that LFO movement. Does that make sense?

Well if it does...I want to know what the hell that 3rd LFO is. or how to control the freaking thing.

I have designed my patches but sometimes I notice the patch changes and it sounds like a LFO is moving slowly and not in time to what I want.

If it is the 3rd LFO, how do you clock that to a key note or shut it off completely. I will be happy with just 2 LFOs but this 3rd one is throwing me off.

Can someone explain?

thanks
Old 16.11.2006, 09:51 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Re: LFO... HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AznTi
I have designed my patches but sometimes I notice the patch changes and it sounds like a LFO is moving slowly and not in time to what I want.

If it is the 3rd LFO, how do you clock that to a key note or shut it off completely. I will be happy with just 2 LFOs but this 3rd one is throwing me off.
Hi AznTi, sounds like it may not be the LFO but simple subtle detuning that causes the oscillators to slowly move in and out of phase with each other.
Or it could be PWM (Pulse-Width Modulation) if you're using a portion of the square wave as the main oscillators.
Or it could be "analogue-instability" that's programmed into the patch externally (via one of the more hidden menus), that attempts to imitate oscillator-drift from yore.

Use process of elimination to narrow it down, do everything in reverse order, and you'll get it. Take off the effects, then the modulation sources + destinations, LFOs, then the oscillators one by one, until you track it down.

The LFO3 is hidden in the submenus. I don't use it much myself via the hardware as it's implemented in some strange fashion in my Indigo B. - Some LF03 features are in the LFO1 sub-menus and other LFO3 parameters are in the LFO2 sub-menus, it's all very haphazard. I guess I should whop out the manual, but I use SoundDiver to program in detail anyway.
Old 17.11.2006, 12:58 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Suggest you get a book on subtractive on analog synths to understand what everything does.

I had a look at the programming tutorial toi see if its suitable, but you may actually find that a bit too advanced.

Erm - try google for "synth basics" "subtractive synthesis" or similar...

You need to understand what the various common components of a synth do and how they interact, particularly what modulation sources are (also called control signals or CV for control voltage) and how they affect things.

Armed with that, you should easily make sense of the programming tutorial and soon get into programming sounds from scratch in a way that makes some sense.
Old 17.11.2006, 01:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to ///AznTi

Khazul & Timo:

Thanks for the advice. Your suggestions helped dramatically and I already have been doing what you said. First thing I do is shut off the effects then shut off the matrix options then filters then to the OSCs.

This way I can hear what the hell is going on and see what is phasing in and out. So I appreciate the tip. I have been at this already for like two weeks, but man this can get really tedious. But I'm up for this challenge. I just need more time to learn to program and I'm sure in time I will get it. The reason why i'm so annoyed is because my bassline is a simple 2 bar bassline with the same velocity hits after that 2nd bar. So its really a repeat after every 2 bars.

What I end up hearing is the subbass comes in nice on the 1st bar then the on the 3rd bar which is really the repeat of the 1st bar...the subbass sounds different. Its kind of annoying really. I'm ready to dump it to audio and deal with the one I like and edit it. But, I'm not certain thats the sound I want so I rather not commit to audio yet. I hope you understand what I'm saying.

Oh and Timo...you were right about the pulse width modulation. It was in classic mode for the OSC so I ended up changing it to Hyper Saw and put both OSC on 3.0 which sounds great as hell....But I'm still experiencing that same issue with the 1st and 3rd bars

How do you control the phase of the OSC to hit right on every note within a 2 bar bassline?

My LFOs are set at 1/16 from LF0 1 to 3 with the envelope on....

Reason why I did that is because I'm thinking since my bassline hits are 1/8 and 1/16 note hits....thats how I want my LFO to move when I strike the note. Please tell me if the way I'm thinking is incorrect.

Well in any case...I already have alot of material on subtractive synthesis and will definitely open it up to learn more. I have to tackle this problem already. Hehe

Thanks for listening to my technical problems...LOL!

have a great weekend in the studio guys...HeHe