Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

View Poll Results: How would you describe your playing?
Lousy 6 33.33%
Below average 6 33.33%
Average 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01.03.2003, 10:17 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Gallup time!

We all have synths and maybe some other keyboards. So how well can you play them? Can you play or do you rely completely on sequencer? If you play, what kind of songs you play? How long have you played? Taken any lessons?
Old 01.03.2003, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Gallup time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lord Juho L
We all have synths and maybe some other keyboards.
Yes. Quite right.

Quote:
So how well can you play them?
Well I chose average in the poll. Quite nice poll you got there!

Quote:
Can you play or do you rely completely on sequencer?
Sometimes I use only sequencer and sometimes I play. Depends on what I'm making.

Quote:
If you play, what kind of songs you play?
Well usually Emerson, Lake & Palmer stuff. Sometimes Pink Floyd and improvisated progrubbish.

Quote:
How long have you played?
I've played keys about four years.

Quote:
Taken any lessons?
Besides don't saw fiberglass circuit board while having bare hands, I haven't taken any lessons except the lessons I took for accordion for seven/eight years.
Old 03.03.2003, 01:04 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I have an ms2000r synth no kb. My indigo is my first. i put below average because I'm teaching myself. I consult a friend who's been playing for about 20 years. He can probably blow you all away, but it's not me. I'm developing something where I program the drums. Play a bass line till it sounds fine then I program that. Then I play the melody over that live, not programmed. It is usually more compicated than the bass keying. It usually is an eastern type scale, as my friend tells me, with a jazzy timing. I've played for less than a year, but I use what I've learned in middle school. This is mainly reading and understanding music, knowing what a C is for example. With the Indigo I play with only one hand. I find that the further I get from programming the better it sounds. But there is only so far I can go with the small kb and one handed playing.
Old 05.03.2003, 06:43 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

I have had piano lessons when I was a child
Today, I can transfer every Idea to my keyboard, I have in my head. Thats important
visit my (german) Sound-Forum:
http://7629.forendienst.de/index.php
Old 05.03.2003, 10:54 PM
New here
New here

i've also did piano when i was child (something about 3 weeks or 3 months of piano i consider that like i never did piano!!! ) but now on my midi keyboard i just hit the keys and make a cheesy thing just to monitor the sounds of the virus
Old 06.03.2003, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Just to spice up this gallup:
What songs you usually play?
Old 06.03.2003, 01:23 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

i am sure i am the worst player on earth, "player", if i can call myself so.
well, i just had few music theory lessons when i was 13, 2 hours per week, that's nothing... that let me know basic things but I never learnt to play any instrument. I spent a lot of time beside my uncle (drummer) and my grand father (violinist) in their studio, then I bought a little Roland amateur keyboard and started reproducing songs by ear... until last year, only at 23, I started learning piano. I must say I'm an average fast learner, but I have some difficulties syncing my two hands
I am not doing classical, I play few things, like "Strangers in the night", "What a wondeful world", "Play fiddle play", "Foule sentimentale", "Solenzara"...
My objective is not to be a great pianist, but to have more practice with chords & harmonics so that my tracks don't sound out of tune & amateur like. I am not trying to make them sound pro neither, just audible
So, somtimes I play live & record into sequencer (especially for strings since i don't have to play fast), but generally I play what I have in mind, figure out the notes, put them on the sequencer & play back
Old 06.03.2003, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembr
I must say I'm an average fast learner, but I have some difficulties syncing my two hands
This is very common. Basic chording is easy but when starting to struggle with complicated bass sequences then things can (will) get ugly. This is one reason why I don't try to play ELP's Tarkus. Hoho.

I like to play songs which don't have very complicated left hand but has a nice righ hand solo (ELP's Karn Evil 9 solo parts are nice). As an old accordion player my right hand works well, but I'm having trouble with my left. Not even a chance I could play 16th's with my left hand.

More spice: How about score reading?

I can read score, but can't do that in real time while I play. I usually check the score before I play it.
Old 06.03.2003, 11:26 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

same thing for me, i can read score but not play them in real time!
Old 07.03.2003, 11:10 PM
New here
New here

Send a message via MSN to DJ DnA

to most important thing... is what Manuel s says... being able to play your ideas.

im sure evrybody has "invented" a great melody in their head but looses it when trying to record it in... and thats sad...