Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

View Poll Results: How would you describe your playing?
Lousy 6 33.33%
Below average 6 33.33%
Average 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09.03.2003, 10:40 PM
Newborn
Newborn

Well... I had to put average as I am buggered when it comes to the more articulate playing of chords. I was really good when I was about 15, then I just stoppped practicing. Used to play the Clarinet and the Guitar as well. And contrary to what alot of people say, it has made writing music quite tricky for me. I now find it quite hard to stop bloody playing silly non-dance-style melodies. All I ever really learned was basic Jazz and old-Rock style playing. Useless really. The music theory is useful, but I have found that being able to play is quite detrimental to my progress while producing. But I am going to start Classical piano training, as some of the classical writers had some great ideas that can be transfered to alot of dance music. The Brandenburg 5 by Bach, for instance, has a really great way of building and breaking (very organic and epic), that would transfer to Progressive House really well.

Anyway, I am starting to rant.

Steve.
Old 10.03.2003, 10:13 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Steve, I don't see why jazz or old-rock could be incorporated into dance music. I especially think making an epic dance track using classical music is quite dull. I don't feel like they should be danced to. Too serious. Just my opinion.

I was just thinking how my grandfather used to play an organ doing be-bop rock type stuff from the 30s and 40s. I'd like to play like he did in the future. It's really fun sounding. I like the timing and rhythm too. I have programmed some of this into a sequencer and played the melody on top. I use a 12 bar blues book at times. I can read score. But very slowly at first.
Old 10.03.2003, 12:40 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by udenjoe
I especially think making an epic dance track using classical music is quite dull. I don't feel like they should be danced to. Too serious. Just my opinion.
I agree. The classical pieces really don't fit into dance music and with Bach's Fugas you get really cheesewhizz (a new word) atmosphere.

Classical music works better with ambient and classical piano concerts work well with jazz. Church organ fugas work best with church organ.

Quote:
I like the timing and rhythm too.
You get nice swing thing by that 12/4 timing.
A good technique practise when playing Cm7 (I'm not sure is it Cm7 scale, but anyway its the C,D#,F,F#,G,A#) scale with that timing. Add a innovative C,F,C,G,F chord progression and there you go.
Old 10.03.2003, 06:19 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroughley
The Brandenburg 5 by Bach, for instance, has a really great way of building and breaking (very organic and epic), that would transfer to Progressive House really well.

Ah, like that one as well. And the 4th, especially the andante. Coming up on Orbits next 'Pieces' album i suppose.
Old 05.06.2003, 06:07 AM
Newborn
Newborn

I voted below average, although I had two years of electronic organ lessons (2 manuals + bass pedals). Now I can't understand why I did't like it. In the end it was a constant pressure to learn one song per week. I learned a lot of classical songs and theory, though.
But I didn't learn how to play with the touch sensitivity. When I play piano, almost nothing happens. I admire piano players because of this.
Old 05.06.2003, 07:53 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy Fruits
When I play piano, almost nothing happens.
I have that problem too. With piano it's full force or nothing. I just can't get anything between those two when I play.
Old 05.06.2003, 08:29 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I can hold my own diddle around to get an idea then i compose...because i feel more comfortable composing...more ideas flow through my head composing...but piano im average at, could play a gig but would never catch me playin any Dvorak....but i do play many other instruments....

Peace
Blank