Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 09.07.2018, 06:04 PM
New here
New here

Default New owner of a Virus indigo ( arriving soon)

Hi , i'm completly new to the world of EDM . I've been listening to trance , techno/ eurodance a lot in the 90's and early 2000's .

I've always been interested in Learning to play synthetiser
Specially when i heard back in the days Vengeance-sound soundset for synths . a few years ago ,patches for a lot of synth on the vengeance page were available and the soundset were amazing .

Right now , i just want to learn to play simple songs with the virus indigo . i know its an old synth but as a guitarist , i'm having a hard time to figure pressing mouse button to make sounds . i always felt that hardware was best for me ( well for now at least ) to get the basic of synth . later i will probably buy a midi controller and start using Reaper with Softsynths etc.. but i'm not there yet

after watching the youtube video of a guy who cover eurodance mélodies with his virus indigo , i decided to give it a try finally ( 17 years later ) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX0pYZsKRqU

Is there a way to find the old Incubation vol 3 from Vengeance-Sound ? i have the incubation vol 1 i downloaded a couple years ago as it was free . The Incubation vol 3 really have some sound i'd like to explore but the 3 really have some nice patches . I've check REFX but they don't have the old soundset available anymore

if i can ask a couple of newbies question :

- How many patches can i uploaded on the virus indigo ? Vengeance sounset is 128 patches , does that take all the available space or i could uploaded more than one soundset in the Virus .

- What do i need to transfer the Incubation Vol 1 soundset to the Virus indigo ? any software to load it into ?

*Thank you very I know the Virus indigo is for many users here outdated or obsolete , but as a beginner i wanted to start with a cheaper version than a 3000 $ Virus TI . I wanted hardware to concentrated on playing .

And considering a lot of the music i listened too in the 90's were done with the Access Virus , i can't see why i wouldnt like it . Good sound is good sound no matter how old the piece of Equipment his. as a guitarist , old tube amps still have their magic . although Kemper Profiler is really a game changer

thanks .

any tips is welcome .
Old 10.07.2018, 09:57 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hi Poet, welcome to the forums.

I use my Indigo daily, and it's still largely relevant as it still shares a great deal of functionality from the later models.

Seems the Virus sounds are inaccessible from Vengeance-Sound.com website. I believe Incubation 3 was a commercial set, so you may have to contact Vengeance sound directly.

You can store up to eight banks of 128 patches on the Virus Indigo v1, meaning 1024 patches total. The first two banks (A & B) are RAM-based (but are still retained when unit is powered down, thanks to a CR2032 battery which you may need to change at some point given the age of the unit), which means you can edit and save single sounds to those banks whenever you want. The other six banks (C, D, E, F, G and H) are FlashROM-based, so you can upload full banks to them, but not edit/overwrite individual sounds (unless you save them to slots in bank A or B).

For transferring sounds, I still use an ancient copy of Emagic SoundDiver. Others may use commercial librarians, but I haven't used them.
Old 11.07.2018, 02:34 AM
New here
New here

thank so much for the reply . pretty much clear many of my questions . As for the Incubation soundset from Vengeance , i've contact vengeance and they say it was discontinued . But i checked the Access website under the discontinued section and its now free in the download and patched section . So good thing . Ill registrer my virus synth when i'll get it and get the soundset . Its pretty amazing that a old synth can get that much patches . I'm sure ill have fun loading them

To connect the Virus indigo to my pc .. i need : MIDI cable + converter/interface + a usb cable ..

Would a all in one device work ?

something like the ROLAND UM-ONE MK2

https://www.roland.com/us/products/um-one_mk2/ .

?

or any suggestion of hardware is welcome .

Ill check out Soundiver like you said . also heard about Bome . I'll check that out eventually . I've start gathering as much info as i can .

Again thank you very much for the response . Greatly appreciate and sorry for the long post , english is not my first language and i'm always in doubt if my questions are clear .
Old 11.07.2018, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Poet View Post
As for the Incubation soundset from Vengeance , i've contact vengeance and they say it was discontinued . But i checked the Access website under the discontinued section and its now free in the download and patched section
Great stuff.

Quote:
To connect the Virus indigo to my pc .. i need : MIDI cable + converter/interface + a usb cable ..

Would a all in one device work ?

something like the ROLAND UM-ONE MK2

https://www.roland.com/us/products/um-one_mk2/ .
The above should work well for MIDI interfacing. Just beware of older Edirol MIDI interfaces that don't natively run on Windows 10. The one you showed is OK, though.

How are you intending to record the Virus' audio? Audio is separate to MIDI, of course. Do you already have a soundcard?

Quote:
english is not my first language and i'm always in doubt if my questions are clear .
I would never have known, your English is great.
Old 12.07.2018, 12:02 AM
New here
New here

ok thank

Well for right now .. i intend only to ¨play¨ with the virus indigo with the headphone output . I don't really want to record anything .

i'm a guitarist and i play as a hobby in my bedroom and it will probably be the same for the Virus . I've never recorded my guitar in my 17 years of playing and i dont really intend too .

i maybe old school but turning knob and having hardware to play with always make more sense to me . I've never feel inspired with software and clicking a mouse .maybe later when ill have experience , ill probably switch to softsynths etc..

now i dont wanna ask too much questions but :

- Does the Virus B ( indigo) can do 90's eurodance sound a la Mr Vain ?

like the intro :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v0m5lZ_E38

ive heard many patches and soundset of trance , techno , hands up , electro etc.. but not much old Eurodance sounds
Old 12.07.2018, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
- Does the Virus B ( indigo) can do 90's eurodance sound a la Mr Vain ?

like the intro :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v0m5lZ_E38

ive heard many patches and soundset of trance , techno , hands up , electro etc.. but not much old Eurodance sounds
By the bucket load. The Vengeance stuff should point you in the right direction as there are overlaps in style - hoover-type sounds, modulated basses, etc. Just remove the effects from the Vengeance sounds, as big delays and reverbs came later (with Trance).

Eurodance did tend to use samples as well, though, so the Indigo isn't an all-in-one machine, per se.
Old 16.07.2018, 03:30 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:
ok thank

Well for right now .. i intend only to ¨play¨ with the virus indigo with the headphone output . I don't really want to record anything .

i'm a guitarist and i play as a hobby in my bedroom and it will probably be the same for the Virus . I've never recorded my guitar in my 17 years of playing and i dont really intend too .
I'm supposedly a guitarist myself. There are a few very cool things that you can do using both a guitar and a Virus.

Do you also play guitar through headphones? If so, use a mixer and set up some arpeggios on the Indigo.

Find a patch that you'll like. Go into the CTRL and set the arpeggiator HOLD to "ON".

You can come up with some really great percussion / bass rhythms to jam over. It can be very inspiring. Or weird, in a good way.