Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 24.06.2007, 06:10 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Are you a failing wannabe music producer?

Writing a new track can sometimes be an exhilarating buzz, but how come you never seem to muster the gumption or staying power to take your tracks to conclusion and finish them off? Is your PC hard drive littered with 8 bar loops and generally sporadic half assed’ness in wav or MP3 format? The ideas sound great you think yeah? And as you lap up the little praise you receive from useless listeners you affirm to yourself once more that you will or can complete them if you want to? Stop kidding yourself.

Or are you one of those who is always talking a good track, going on about what you’re going to do next, how you’re going to tweak this and sequence that. How you’re going to write or do things in a way that’s better than everything and everyone else that’s out there. Do you continue in your fat mouthed energy criticising other artists, styles and producers trying to convince yourself that you yourself know what the fuck you are doing. Perhaps that’s just it, you don't know what the fuck you are doing, and so you spend more time talking and saying rather than actually doing the doing.

Do you insist on having to buddy up or collaborate with others, hmmm? If so then you obviously lack energy, inspiration, willpower or even hope or faith in your own ability. Perhaps adhere the lesson you wash-out as the spin cycle repeats itself again and again, your never ever going to find that right person to work with and of whom is creatively compatible with you. Mostly because you’re not even creatively compatible with yourself and so trying to feed off the energy of others to fill the gap that’s created by the lack of inspiration or belief in yourself is a useless endeavour which nearly always ends in bitter feeling.

And lastly Einstein, technical proficiency doesn’t necessarily count for creative ability. So your tendencies of “experimentation” are your simply making noise with the toys to the detriment of getting anywhere. It’s oh so easy to fuck about aimlessly with the gadgets, try writing some music for a change. And no you don’t need any more new kit, just get on with it.

Last edited by nvisibl : 24.06.2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 25.06.2007, 12:58 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Dude, don't you realise that those on forums are here because we can't really make music?
Old 25.06.2007, 05:12 AM
This forum member lives here

Shit where did I put those 8 bar loops?! Ah that's right, I deleted them to make space for pron (the other thing I use my DAW for). hehe

So what is this thread about again?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 25.06.2007, 06:52 PM
Veteran
Veteran

dont mind me, just a 1 on 1 with the devil inside
Old 25.06.2007, 07:49 PM

hey nvisibl, don't be so hard on yourself.

Over the years, I have pretty much asked myself those very same questions.
And because of those questions, over the years I have taken a more realistic view of where I am going with this stuff. What's really neat is that once I took the pressure off of myself (ie thinking that I have to "do something" in the music industry), my creativity really started to take off. I still have lofty (though more realistic) goals that keep me motivated - I would like to have enough decent material to be able to play out at the local clubs. Utltimately the whole process is a lot more enjoyable for me. When the creativity is there - I am wholly addicted to it, but when it isn't there, I can easily just step back and take a breather - no pressure.

I guess ultimately what I am trying to say is certainly figure out a way to stay motivated (and using pressure is definitely one avenue of motivation), but also see if there is a way you can step back and really just enjoy the whole process.
Old 25.06.2007, 09:02 PM
Veteran
Veteran

No worries, i'm fine. The speil above is a reflective commentary on what i've seen in the 'wannabe producers' around me over the years, and of course from what i've seen in myself too. I wasn't sure how to frame it, and I also thought it may push a button or two, so was a bit wary.

Its a 1 on 1 with the devil in all, coaxing him out of his hiding places so that he can be seen, better understood, and defeated through acceptance.

I get what yer saying on the pressure thing Doc.. nice one and so true.. i've been down that road many times too, and may visit again i'm sure.

The way I see it is like you understand that its all very important as its what you've chosen to do and have put so much time and energy into it, but its important in a not so important way. There is much more to life than the fullfilment of your own desires, most especially if your the type who fancy themselves as a pop star of sorts.

Detaching from expectations and results are key. And if experiencing anoff day then its just an off day, simple as that. Go do something else, or go one better and do something for another. That will help break down ego, its resistance and complaint.

Last edited by nvisibl : 25.06.2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 25.06.2007, 09:25 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I find that motivation has its roots in the fundamental choice of 'is this what you really want to do?'.

Inspiration can be a little different though similar to motivation in that things flow better in each case when you learn to get over yourself.

Self doubt serves as the killer of motivation, and serves also as the plugstop in the flow of inspiration.

Last edited by nvisibl : 25.06.2007 at 09:27 PM.
Old 25.06.2007, 10:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Or just accept what you do is and allways will be complete and utter shite

Just have some fun doing it and if someone happens to like it - well great, if not - so what
Old 25.06.2007, 11:56 PM

All the negativity doesnt help though, call me a new age fag, but I do think there is some merit in the whole "law of attraction" theory.

Send out those positive vibes man, believe in yourself, make it happen, cos no one else out there is going to make it happen for you.

In any case, if you find you suck at the music thing, you can always become a sound engineer like me.

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 26.06.2007, 03:04 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

You're way too hard on yourself, nvisibl. I love synth gear, but I can assure anyone here that making something that others will praise me for is at the bottom of the list. Making music as a creative process is an end in itself. Making something that will please others is NOT important. You may please others along the way, but it should not be your goal. Your music's real worth is your opinion of it, not other's opinions.

I had the privelege to go through some demo tapes and CD's sent in for a radio competition - demoes unfortunately just thrown into a bin out the back. There was so much passion, individuality and genuine creativity there. Forget the poor choice of sounds, bad performances and such. This was real creativity and none of them made the short list in the competition. My point? Make what you like, learn from it and make some more.

Don't hand out your music for opinions, its an opportunity for arseholes to feel better about themselves by putting you down. Any fool can call your music shite - in fact you can count on it.

Cheers,
B