Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.02.2005, 12:07 PM
This forum member lives here

Default Parameter printout on virus - would it be possible?

I was just wondering whether it would be possible to hit a button (via an OS update) that would allow you to dump all the parameter values into a text format on your computer. The benefit of that would be to allow other users of midi intruments (other than the virus) to visually see the parameter values and try it out on their synths.....

I hear some of you say 'DS....what the hell is the point in that!'.....well maybe there is no point....but i was just wondering whether it would be possible. It would be quite a neat way of sharing 'sounds' with other users with different makes of midi synthesizers....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 21.02.2005, 12:53 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Send a message via MSN to harrystainer

That's a really good idea. I'd like to see such a feature in a future update for the C-series (if there will ever be one)
Old 21.02.2005, 02:12 PM
Pro
Pro

I've actually wondered about this before, if you could print out a parameter list, like the examples in the Howard Scarr tutorial.
Old 21.02.2005, 04:59 PM

thats a great idea!
Old 21.02.2005, 09:58 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: Parameter printout on virus - would it be possible?

it wouldn't be hard to write an application which does exactly that. all information needed is public anyway.

but it wouln't help much to translate a sound from one synth to another. there is a reason why synth behave, react and sound differently

some of it has to do with parameter scaling. we spend loads of time to make a parameter "feel" right. it's about implementing the right parameter range and other things. there is no rules to it and simply copying numbers won't create a sound which will be much identical.

marc
Old 21.02.2005, 10:33 PM
Pro
Pro

I get what you are saying Marc.

I still think it would be a useful idea though as it would give you a rough idea of how to make the sound you are interested in. Would also give you a good idea of the differences between your synths and show up their strengths and weaknesses perhaps.

The fine tuning to get the sound identical would take some skill though.

Pity I don't have any
Old 21.02.2005, 11:10 PM

Thx marc........I didnt forsee that...I just assumed they all the paramters used some kinda generic value(s).

Thx for clarifying.....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 22.02.2005, 05:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mcoyote

FWIW, there probably is a "MIDIML" somewhere out there -- an XML dialect that could encapsulate controller and sysex information. That said, any information therein would have to be specific to a make/model/revision of a given device. In other words, of limited utility.