Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 08.05.2009, 08:03 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Multi-Timbral with Logic Pro 8

hi,

I have just got myself a virus polar, updated to the latest v3, and would like to use it multi-timbrally with logic pro 8.

I have got it set up ok as a multi timbral instrument in logic, with 16 instrument channels, and each one plays according to what sound is on that 'part'. that's all ok and no problems there.

My only thing is, i would like to add some plug in effects on some of the channels, say a delay on multi-timbral channel 4, but when i do, it adds a delay to ALL 16 channels of my polar.

Is there a better way to go about doing what i am doing or is there something i am missing?

I suspect i need to do some creative routing maybe.

(incase it helps, i have fxpansions guru plugin hooked up similarly, but it is with 8xstereo multi outputs, and the polar only says i could have 3xstereo multi outputs)

Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

Many thanks

Tom
Old 08.05.2009, 08:35 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Cool

Their is only max 3 usb outputs from your Virus. The way you have it set up is only 1 usb output. Use the FX on the Virus if you want to have it per part. If you want to add logic FX to different parts, you must individually route Virus Parts out different USB outputs in the Common section of VC.
Old 09.05.2009, 03:48 AM
Complete Newbie

Thanks for the advice, so basically i can only route 3 of the 16 channels to an 'aux' channel.

Also, when i go to the common tab in the virus control and do the routing, i can only seem to route it to 1 extra output - usb 2L&R which = virus 3-4 in logic on an aux channel.

I can't get anything to go to virus5-6 in logic, i see there is a usb3L&R in the common page, but it is greyed out.

Any ideas on how i can get to the max 3 stereo outputs?

Many thanks for any help, it really is appreciated.
Old 09.05.2009, 11:51 AM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompolar View Post
Thanks for the advice, so basically i can only route 3 of the 16 channels to an 'aux' channel.

Also, when i go to the common tab in the virus control and do the routing, i can only seem to route it to 1 extra output - usb 2L&R which = virus 3-4 in logic on an aux channel.

I can't get anything to go to virus5-6 in logic, i see there is a usb3L&R in the common page, but it is greyed out.

Any ideas on how i can get to the max 3 stereo outputs?

Many thanks for any help, it really is appreciated.
read the addendum. it describes where you can enable the third output and the input (sacrifying parts of the sound card functionality)

r
Old 09.05.2009, 01:02 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Don't forget that you can also route to the physical outputs and feed these back in to Logic if you have enough channels on your sound card.
Old 09.05.2009, 06:54 PM
Complete Newbie

Well, i still can't get it set up as i want it. I basically want to have my polar as a multi timbral instrument, and have all 16 parts as stereo outputs, so that i have control over each part (e.g i can put one of logics delays on part 7 and it won't delay all the other parts)

Even just 6 or 7 parts would be enough i think, but 16 would be great.
Old 09.05.2009, 06:55 PM
Complete Newbie

Well, i still can't get it set up as i want it. I basically want to have my polar as a multi timbral instrument, and have all 16 parts as stereo outputs, so that i have control over each part (e.g i can put one of logics delays on part 7 and it won't delay all the other parts)

Even just 6 or 7 parts would be enough i think, but 16 would be great.
Old 16.05.2009, 04:48 AM
New here
New here

tompolar, you're getting it wrong, the thing is like this.

The Virus has 16 multitimbral parts and 3 stereo outputs. What this means is the following, in logic's mixer you can only have 3 channels for the virus, and you have to distribute your 16 parts in those 3 channels (you can do this in the common tab in each part, say you want part 1 to go to the first channel of the virus in logic's mixer you go to part 1 then to the COMMON TAB and choose in Out: USB1 L+R, if you want part 2 to go to the second virus channel in logic's mixer you go to the COMMON TAB in part 2 and in Out you choose USB2 L+R, say you want part 7 to go to the third virus channel in logic you have to go to the COMMON TAB in part 7 and in Out choose USB 3 L+R)

That way you can add FX from Logic into those 3 channels and route the Virus parts to the channel you want OF THOSE 3 CHANNELS SINCE THE VIRUS HAS 3 STEREO OUTPUTS.
What you want to do, having each part with its own channel in the mixer is not possible since the Virus has only 3 stereo outputs and not 16, what you can do is bounce the part you want with some FX, reimport it to logic as audio and it will have its own channel strip.

If Logic had 16 stereo outputs then yes, you could assign a channel in the mixer for each part of the Virus. You can also have 6 channels as mono since 3 stereo outputs = 6 mono outputs, but I dont think you want this.

Hope it helps! read the .pdf that comes with the virus on how to set it up in logic and it will clear things up.

PD: You may have to enter the patch/utility tab to make the third stereo output available, for this choose (3 outs / no ins).
Old 22.01.2010, 05:09 PM
Complete Newbie

Thanks for your help an advice. I really appreciate it and I am now totally undwrstandig more and more of how to use it how I want to.

Thanks

tom
Old 16.05.2010, 11:04 PM
New here
New here

So you can't get all sixteen parts routed to individual channels? I want to process and add effects separately to more than 3 parts sometimes! Seems like a flaw. No workaround?