Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Various > The forum members' music

The forum members' music Here you can post links to your music and listen to and comment other forum members' music.

Old 20.10.2004, 03:01 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
OK, I'll be on the cable again tomorrow to DL the newest one.
Awesome!

Due date is Friday 22nd....so I have tomorrow all day for last minute adjustments and fine tuning before handing in for assessment! Scary...

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 20.10.2004, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
Analog tape recording is great in this aspect. For example listening to some vintage Hendrix tapes the screams that go distorted sound just brilliant.
Love those even harmonics!

Quote:
Can't do that nowadays...
Well.....there are still analogue machines out there that will add those gorgeous 2nd and 4th harmonic distortion. My Studer console for one, which is largely Transformer based (As opposed to Chip-based) and with it's baxandall EQ, with smoother, more natural sounding filter slopes than your typical Low/High shelves....Also see Manley's MASSIVE PASSIVE!

There are other hardware unit's that replicate quite faithfully analogue tape distortion, tube, transformers etc......See Cranesong HEDD

And then we are getting ever closer with plug-ins....Magneto comes to mind, which can simulate tape saturation without the added hiss.

Dont give up just yet Juho! Digital will redeem itself.....

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 20.10.2004, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Well.....there are still analogue machines out there that will add those gorgeous 2nd and 4th harmonic distortion.
Yup. But nowadays all the studios have huge digital systems.

Any progress on the new mix? Damn. I'd like to get my hands on that project. Hoho.
Old 21.10.2004, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Any progress on the new mix?
I am spending today fine-tuning, and will post the 'final' mix later tonight, hopefully with all issues ironed out!

Old 21.10.2004, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah....but also notice how the big studios also still retain all the old classic vintage analogue outboard (Urei, teletronics etc), and also still mix to 2" analogue tape after ProTools for mastering to get that "Warmth" before again going digital to CD.

I dont think analogue will go away.....And I think people are realising that digital is not as good as they thought, although getting better all the time. Just take a look at all the Valve gear on the market......everything is tube this, valve that, warm up your digital audio (think TL Audio range).

There are units out there with the best of both worlds.....Vintage analogue pre/compressor/EQ but with modern noise specs, SNR etc, and then high quality A/D coverters. Take a look at Mercenary for some great analogue/digital hybrids!

Old 21.10.2004, 02:28 PM

OK.....

The finished MIX is here!

I took on some comments and suggestions and changed things accordingly.

The vocals IMO seems to sit alot nicer, without losing impact, and without taking over.

Bass - Dont think Juho will be happy as distortion is still not quite as present, but I think overall has more character and definition.

Guitars - More powerfull and crunchy

I slowed down a bit with the Multi-band buss compression in SX, and instead used a slightly better one in Spark XL over the whole mix, but tried not to get too carried away. I think it is a improvement. Not so much bottom end now......

Hope you all enjoyed listening, and thanks to everyone who took the time to d/l and listen, and provide feedback. Always good to have some honest, brutal criticism....

Cheers,

Jase

Old 21.10.2004, 02:52 PM
Administrator

The mix is ok now (except the solo guitar that gets drowned). But the general sound is still too gentle. More and more grit. This kind of sound fits on basic rock but not on this kind of harder rock.
Old 22.10.2004, 12:04 PM

Quote:
But the general sound is still too gentle.
Do you think it is not aggressive enough? Or sounds too polished.....

I had the idea that this song bordered on mainstream hardrock...which is why I approached the mix as I did. Maybe the idea in my head was commercial appeal.....But still retaining the "Live" feel and edge.

Anyways, it is handed in now, this afternoon. So I will update again when I get my results for the project.

And right now, I think if I hear the song one more time I will be heading to the bell tower....postman stylee!

Cheers guys!

Old 22.10.2004, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
Do you think it is not aggressive enough? Or sounds too polished.....
It's not agressive enough. It's too goody-goody.

Quote:
Anyways, it is handed in now, this afternoon. So I will update again when I get my results for the project.
Let's hope they like it.

Quote:
And right now, I think if I hear the song one more time I will be heading to the bell tower....postman stylee!
Hoho. I know exactly what you mean.
Old 26.10.2004, 06:38 AM

I finaly get a chance to listen to the version I DLed last Thursday, but now it seems I'm a version behind again! I won't have the laptop at work until Monday, so I'll grab the finished version then and comment.

What the hell were you talking about here Juho?
Quote:
Hope you do well with it Jase! When do you get the results?
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut