Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 22.12.2004, 08:53 PM

Default original sounding synth?

Hi all. Maybe this is a stupid question, but I was thinking if any of you could reccomend me some synths that sound 'different'.

I'm thinking in getting a new synth, and wanted to look for something original. I'm up to 900?, but would probably look for 2nd hand stuff. I've always heard waldorf Qs are strange, but I'm not sure. Dunno.

Could you guys give me some advice? Thanks
Old 22.12.2004, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to 3o3

That problem depends; what sound are you after mate?

Waldorf xtK or something? those sound just beutiful whne used as pads. strange effects aswell. Bah, you decide mate

"Welcome to the Berserk-Inn - If one customer is difficult, no-one survives" - http://www.4barloop.com/
Old 23.12.2004, 01:27 AM
Pro
Pro

Default Synth

Hey nordlead, I strongly recommend the G2(maybe the engine) 8O .
It will do lot of different sounds. It's an awesome piece of gear
Old 23.12.2004, 01:35 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

just get something that isnt a virtual analogue. the market is flooded with them. dave smith evolver is supposed to be totally whacked out. i think thats true analogue. its not that expensive if i remember correctly. or a digital piano might be the way to go. whats yamaha motif like? i know it costs a shed load but i heard alot about it.
Old 23.12.2004, 04:43 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

I second the Waldorf XTK. I have the Waldorf Q and Waldorf XT . I use both of these synths in all of my orginal music.
Old 23.12.2004, 08:31 AM

ok so were talking about roughly ?600 here. For that money I'd recommend a Roland JD800. Nothing else sounds like one!

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 23.12.2004, 12:20 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Buy a synth that only a few people use. Everybody use virtual analogs now. Especially Nordlead and Virus but that doesnt mean that you cant make original sounds with them. It just takes skill but some synth do sound very different because of new features.
Evolver can sound very different.
Hartmann neuron.
Monomachine.
Also Ensoniq esq-1. The filter sounds quite unique IMO. Very raw and dirty but otherwise its more or less a "normal" synth.
You could also go for a more advanced synth and make very complex sounds and that way sound different, but that takes lots of synth programming skills. You could also focus on fx to sculp your sound. Somtimes i use a VERY simple synth patch, like a saw wave through a lowpass filter, and run it through lots of fx to make a new sound. Great fun and great results.
Old 23.12.2004, 01:22 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
ok so were talking about roughly ?600 here. For that money I'd recommend a Roland JD800. Nothing else sounds like one!

DS
Except the JD-990, which is cheaper and has osc sync, ring mod, and a number of other features missing on the JD-800.
The two synths can sound fairly analog, but they can get all digital and weird. The analog feel parameter allows for drift, only 10 years ahead of the VA market! Very powerful basses, especialy for a rompler. Good strings and pads, from analog sounding to digital sounding to sampled. Presets are all over :Wumpscut:, if you go for that sort of thing.

Or, you could pick up an FM synth, like a DX-7 or DX-200 (FM7 for software). These are pretty cheap, so you could pick up some nice effects too.

That brings us to effects! Don't underestimate the ability of effects to drastically alter your sound. Getting an Ensoniq DP/2 or DP/4, a TC Electronix Fireworx, or a Sherman Filterbank can make anything you pump through it sound original, as long as you program your own sounds.

Go to eBay and take advantage of the weak dollar.

Good luck!
Old 24.12.2004, 06:10 PM

Thanks for all answers. You guys really know your stuff.

To be sincere I'm not sure yet what I'll be getting.

I'm looking into a 2nd hand microwave xt. If I get it really cheap I may also get a Dave smith evolver, a 2nd hand nord modular or a 2nd hand sampler instead.

In any case thanks for all advice. I'll report back whatever I buy.

Merry christmas all!