Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 29.12.2008, 08:17 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Default sequencing the virus

Hey all,
First post on the forum, and I would just like to say hello. I'm considering buying a virus as my first decent hardware synth and am wondering what you guys use to sequence yours?

One of the main reasons I'm interested in the virus (as opposed to a bunch of software) is to get a very powerful and capable synth with a dedicated hardware interface. I HATE using software, rooting around in menus and popup windows, I like having as much as possible in hardware right in front of me. The whole idea of multitasking makes me feel ill. I figure a bunch of you guys probably share this feeling. However, the Virus itself is only one half of the sound, the sequencer is the other...

I'm assuming some software sequencer would be required to get the most out of this machine. I already have two korg electribes (emx and esx) which are ok sequencers, but monophonic. I could use these but there are limits (hard quantization, recording CCs and pattern/bank switching messages all pretty limited). I'll mostly be making jungle/drum and bass style music, perhaps some ambient and mellow techno aswell, and I require my sequencer to be very hands-on. Any discussion around sequencing would be of huge interest as I will probably start crying if I drop a lot of cash on the virus just to find that I am still staring at my computer using a mouse all the time.

I'm also wondering if there is much of a reason to get a Virus TI over a Virus C if I am mostly going to use a hardware sequencer. Sending audio to a computer via usb sounds ok for adding vsts

Last edited by Innovine : 29.12.2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old 29.12.2008, 10:40 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

using the virus control combines the power of hardware and software. Now I have this set up I never touvh any of my other hardware. TI all the way.
Old 30.12.2008, 07:22 AM
Very mucho Newbie

and what sequencer are you using?
Old 30.12.2008, 11:09 AM
Newborn
Newborn

Smile

If you want to stick with hardware for sequencing, you could always go for an Akai MPC or Roland MV. I'm running an MPC 1000 with JJOS, a Korg Kaoss Pad 2 and a (shortly) Virus TI.

This will get you a great hardware sequencer, a good sampler, an excellent synth and some extra fx that can be patched in and sequenced as necessary.

Personally, if you don't like mucking around with VSTs on the computer with a software sequencer now, I don't think that a software sequencer with a TI is going to make you that much happier.

Good Luck!
Old 30.12.2008, 12:29 PM
Very mucho Newbie

Looks like I can get a hold of an e-mu command station. I've heard very good things about them. This'll hopefully work as my main sequencer. It'd be nice to skip the computer entirely (perhaps just send the audio through it and process with some vsts) so I guess I will not bother with the TI.
Old 27.01.2009, 04:37 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Lightbulb Searching far and wide for a dedicated midi sequencer

~ has done little more then leave a bad taste in my mouth. All the 'best', (most hands on), ones are no longer manufactured, difficult to get hold of or painfully expensive,(Damn you GenoQ!). Currently i'm using a future retro Revolution to sequence. Which is great. But only one midi channel great. The guy above is right, the MPC's are supposed to work well, and have 16 channels midi sequencing, but frankly, they're too big and not the way i like to make music. The yamaha Tenori-oh has 16 channels of midi, and is supposed to be a creative and wicked sequencer, but it lacks pressure options. I like working with the multi mode on the virus, so much more then the VST, (for both sound and dynamics), that i grabbed a midi merger so i could just plug different midi instruments into it at the same time. 'Even synced one port up to my computer so i can trigger from it's usb port. But, in my opinion, nothing beats the sound and feel of hardware. So i keep looking . . . Maybe just 15 more Revolutions?
Old 27.01.2009, 06:23 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearTao View Post
If you want to stick with hardware for sequencing, you could always go for an Akai MPC or Roland MV. I'm running an MPC 1000 with JJOS, a Korg Kaoss Pad 2 and a (shortly) Virus TI.
MPC 1000 with JJOS 2xl and a TI is a great combo.

An E-Mu Command Station is another good option, although I prefer the MPC overall.
Old 27.01.2009, 10:09 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

The Virus TI is imho aimed at people who very much like their software, but want an external, proper tactile interface to work with rather than using a softsynth.

If you're desperate to avoid using the computer for everything, this maybe isn't the synth for you.. :/

I am about to learn how to use Cubase and I will be sequencing in that. DAW arrives this week, i hope, i hope...

-Annikk
Old 27.01.2009, 10:11 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by annikk.exe View Post
The Virus TI is imho aimed at people who very much like their software, but want an external, proper tactile interface to work with rather than using a softsynth.
It makes a great standalone hardware synth too. Having dedicated effects per part and a large voice count means you get a huge amount of sound out of a very compact package, with no need for external effects etc. I consider my MPC+TI combo a pretty complete live/jamming rig.

I've never been able to get the TI plugin to run with stable timing so I don't even use it for anything except backups.
Old 28.01.2009, 12:00 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Ableton Live